What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?

shipdamite

• 2 weeks later...

Well today my bretheran , i preped the now "my" Gasser (Lad is a forensic scientist and he's off to part time cop/uni job ) 280 for an evening trial tomorrow night .Thats the brakes ,gear oil , chain clean and re-tension,clean and re-grease throttle tube ,oil throttle cable , tyre pressure , grease spindles and check check and check again. Will send you a dirty shot ( of the bike ) shipdamite ,kind of a before and after job .

Shy T

Well, this was not today but last Saturday (day 1 of 2 day event). I lost all rear brake, push pedal down and it went past the skidplate, no pressure.

So right in the pit (paddock) area in the middle of the event I rebuilt the rear brake master cylinder. Remove the two bolts that hold the master in place on the frame and wiggle it around so that the master is between the swing arm and the muffler with the bottom pointing out. Pop out snap ring, pull out plunger, spring and remark about all the crap that was in there on the seals. Then shove new plunger and spring in and get the snap ring in. wiggle it around and remount it and VOILA I am off and running.

This whole thing got me thinking about maintenance and repair. When these things are done at home in the garage/shop most of us are very meticulous about making sure everything is clean! Make sure there are no bits of dirt, metal etc. within 40 feet of whatever we are repairing. But in the middle of an event, when we need to repair and get riding this is basically what is running through my head "Just Shove That Part in there, Dirt don't matter, GO GO GO!!!!" :o:rotfl:

Well today my bretheran , i preped the now "my" Gasser (Lad is a forensic scientist and he's off to part time cop/uni job ) 280 for an evening trial tomorrow night .Thats the brakes ,gear oil , chain clean and re-tension,clean and re-grease throttle tube ,oil throttle cable , tyre pressure , grease spindles and check check and check again. Will send you a dirty shot ( of the bike ) shipdamite ,kind of a before and after job .

Shy T

Hi Ted - hope the trial went ok and looking forward to seeing a shot of the dirty bike (if your lad is into forensics, he must have got that from you, looking at the overall cleanliness of your gasser.......;- ] ..... )

Who hoo, Ben!

How cool is that? :thumbup::banana::bouncy:

Did you get rid of the 125? Any pics?

Jimmie

Hi jimmie sorry for the late response! Best bike I've ever ridden! Down in our woods it was under water-it was just bog! My friend Went down on my 125 couldn't get up it!(it is very steep and has a sharp turn before and virtually no run up.) I had a go on the 300 and got up it no problem! I did things down there I could only do in the dry on my 125. And the best part it barely went past 1/5 of revs! :) instead of having to thrash my 125!

I love it;)

Had a brill time at the Darwen trial . Give the gas gas it's leg's ,and even though i did the beginners route ,that ww2 brute aeroplane engine punch, just demolished anything in it's path , including my inner right knee ( kick start don't you know )

. So today on my GasGas i did a trial , and enjoyed it ! Just for you shipdamite here's some photo's !

post-16629-0-06735300-1366844024_thumb.jpg

post-16629-0-90334900-1366844066_thumb.jpg

Shipdamite , your right . So today and for the next two day's i will be cleaning my GasGas,ordering a new kick start lever before i end up with stitches in my right knee , and then,going back to work for three weeks.

Oh yes on my first trial for 20 years i finished 3rd from last in my class but managed 22 cleans . suppose it,s better than a smack in the ball's with a curled up hedge hog ! For the education of any American readers , a Hedge hog is a small version of a Porcupine which don't fire it's quills and is just the right size to fit in your groin area .

Edited by shyted

yesterday I fitted a new shift lever that I got off Ebay. It sticks out a little bit more than the stock lever, but this gives more clearance between the lever and the flywheel cover. The folding tip is also a little longer than stock. This combination made it much easier to shift when putting around my driveway. Hopefully it does not stick out too far and get mangled on a tree/rock etc.