What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?

shipdamite

You boys have a point .. might leave it after all ... fixing my dents could be like painting the forth bridge I reckon ... Just gonna buy a massive sticker that will cover the whole thing if I sell and spend my time riding or on the bar recounting the triple step clean that got away !

• Like 1

My brother dropped off my lower triple clamp with my new steering stem pressed into it today. (I don't have a press and apparently a large hammer is not reccommended) So of course I HAD to put her back together. Tightened the steering bearings up to where they were a tad "too tight" and felt "grabby" when I turned side to side and then backed the nut off just a little bit until it was smooth back and forth. Hoping that is tight enough so that my stem don't break in the future, but the one that broke was the original from 2003 sooooo....... I guess 10 yrs of abuse is good out of it.

Zip,

I did the same thing, I had to leave it tight, like you describe before backing off. it broke in fast. if it doesn't not that hard to back off. I backed off the 1st one I did, about 15 hours later it had slop, this time never have had slop. maybe I backed off too far the 2 times I did, I dunno?

Zip,

I did the same thing, I had to leave it tight, like you describe before backing off. it broke in fast. if it doesn't not that hard to back off. I backed off the 1st one I did, about 15 hours later it had slop, this time never have had slop. maybe I backed off too far the 2 times I did, I dunno?

I am definetly going to keep an eye on it. I was hoping that because I did not replace bearings that there was nothing to "break in" ???

broken steering stem sucks.

It took quite a bit of time for me to get used to what to really keep an eye on with the Sherco I owned, I am still learning the quirks of my GasGas as far as what items need to be monitored more closely than other items. Overall I am very happy with the bike.

Just rode the bikes...

Pro200.jpeg

Based on jse comments, got the 2002 Pro chassis for the quicker steering and magnesium engine cases.

Complete rebuild of engine top and bottom end. Installed S3 225cc kit, S3 Stars cylinder head with high-compression insert, and GasGas UK flywheel weight. Rebuilt waterpump, and upgraded clutch to 2006+ specs. Modified FMF Turbine Core 2 from my GasGas EC300 to replace stock silencer and add spark arrester.Replaced Comex radiator fan and Leonelli module.Removed lighting harness and installed kill switch

Revalved Sachs rear shock (2-stage compression and rebound) and changed spring rate. Installed shock upside-down. 4mm preload. Regreased rear linkage and swingarm pivot.

Installed Formula 'Factory' forks with GasGas anodized Ergal triple clamps. Installed ProTaper Hi bend SE handlebars with ProTaper Medium compound grips.

JT35.jpeg

Completed restoration of 1995 JT35. Put a full set of NOS body work and '2-lens' headlight in storage. Replaced Pirelli Gara Trials with Dunlop D803. Installed Renthal handlebars with Renthal Trials grips. Replaced fork fluids, and coolant. Running Maxima 75W transmission oil.

This JT35 may have an interesting history: if built by Jon Stoodley AKA jse for Steve Darrow for the World Championship. Has cylinder head mods, and Keihin PWK carburetor.

Edited by seavoyage
  • Like 1

Seavoyage like the mods and the bikes . How's the 225 go ? Think that in it's self is a good mod . What difference does the silencer make if any apart from maybe clearing the rear tyre when the shocks compressed?

Ted .

Edited by shyted

went out for a blast on my own to clear the head.

i love this bike...performs faultlessly and never lets me down even though i treat it like a ginger step child.

i also discovered peanut butter chunky kitkats....took one as part of the standard mid-ride elevenses.

you need to try these guys. absolutely delicious....its like sex in the mouth.

• Like 1

Hey, Zippy!!!

Out of curiosity, where did your stem break at? Somewhere near the lower bearing?

Jimmie

My steering stem snapped off right at the base of the threads at the top bearing. It broke at the exact spot where the threads started on the shaft.

I think when I landed that day the top part of the triple clamp kept moving forward as the bottom stayed in place. and SNAP at the top.

went out for a blast on my own to clear the head.

i love this bike...performs faultlessly and never lets me down even though i treat it like a ginger step child.

i also discovered peanut butter chunky kitkats....took one as part of the standard mid-ride elevenses.

you need to try these guys. absolutely delicious....its like sex in the mouth.

peanutbutterkitkats sounds really wrong. But I like stuff like that, so I'll try one :icon_salut:

Seavoyage like the mods and the bikes . How's the 225 go ? Think that in it's self is a good mod . What difference does the silencer make if any apart from maybe clearing the rear tyre when the shocks compressed?

Ted .

The 225 kit was an excellent upgrade. It feels like a quick reving 250 that spins up quickly with adequate torque but isn't a hand full - which is enough for me.

Since GasGas ceased production of the Pro 200 in 2006; if I had a late model Pro 125, I would install the S3 mods rather than purchase a base 250.

The FMF TC2 silencer definitely scavenges exhaust gas more efficiently as I had to turn in the fuel screw 2.5 turns (leaner), plus it has a very nice deep tone..No 'splooge' with 80:1 pre-mix (synthetic). If you listen to a current GasGas EC250 or YZ250 with the FMF TC2 you'll get an idea on the sound.

anyone know how much those tech forks cost?

I paid USD$1000 after I traded in my original forks (~$200). The price included the Raga triple clamps, steering stem, and front axle. These forks (~5.1 kg.) are much lighter than the stock forks, and with the rebound tuned made lofting the front without power or hopping almost effortless.. It was well worth the cost to balance out the revalved rear shock (the best investment yet) and rear spring. The new suspension makes obstacles so much easier to traverse: hard hits don't deflect or unbalance the bike, and deweighting is almost effortless. It is very compliant yet firm and doesn't bottom out on 4 foot drop-offs.

The bike may not be pretty but it weighs less than a 2013 base model, steers quicker than current models; has a manageable, lightweight motor; and has absolutely brilliant suspension. It cost me less than half the price of a new base model.

Edited by seavoyage

oil change, fix fan (needed new rectifier). take out rusted bolts and changed with nice new shiny ones. touch up some scuffs on the frame. washed it then put it away. might go watch TT practices tomorrow night on it :D :D

Replaced clutch fluid.

Tried to replace front brake fluid, it stopped pumping before the clean fluid came through. The old fluid was the worst I've seen so the master cylinder and caliper may be a bit of a mess internally. However the brake was previously working fine, no binding or leaking.

Tried to remove the master cylinder, found the banjo bolt head was already stripped.

Didn't attempt to change the rear brake fluid.

That rules out my planned trip to Warden Law on Thursday evening, I'll be fixing it instead - a common pattern for me, maybe I should start buying newer bikes.

Before i left for work i examined the front brake problem i had at the Holgate 100 (seized ) . Cleaned the disc off with wire wool and brake cleaner . Filed the casting marks off the brake pads . Stripped the caliper down completely ,drained all the fluid . Checked the seals (new pistons and seals 10 months ago) made sure no debris in the seal recesses . New sealing washers on brake line ,new 'O' ring in caliper .Rebuild . Bleed up with DOT 4 .

Ran around garden for a couple of mins ,then tried a little bit to hard to pick the back end up and near ripped my thumb back on the bars . Oh yes it works fine again but what bug's is i didn't find another explanation for the lock up at the trial ( stated in earlier post ) . So on my gas gas a few days ago i.......

Ted