What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?

shipdamite

Started my new 12 300 Raga yesterday for the first time.Fired up first kick and rode it for 20 minutes.My 04 Raga is an amazing bike but the suspension on the 12 is very smooth and responsive.This will be good.

• Like 1

Further to the post i did on modifying the clutch plates on my GASGAS one day in history , something you guys might want to try if your prepared to spend a few bob on your bikes . I'm going to try this stuff so back to it " Putoline nanno trans " £29.95 per liter . That along with the clutch mod will get me where i've been going ,gear box oil in the gearbox! It's made for comp bikes and wet clutches . And it's not just Putoline light gear box oil .Tried that , and Motul .

Anyone using this in their GASGAS today ?

Shy t .

Inspected clutch pack thickness and replaced 'swelled up' plates (funny how a clutch pack on ATF DEXRON III gets thicker not thinner over time), replaced clutch slave O-rings, adjusted shift drum eccentric (what a PITA!), replaced impeller and rebuild waterpump, replaced coolant (from Maxima to Putoline), bled clutch (mineral oil), bled rear brakes (DOT 4), adjusted handlebars and levers, changed ATF DEXRON III to ATF-F then...

Rode the damn thing!

Edited by seavoyage
  • Like 1

Further to the post i did on modifying the clutch plates on my GASGAS one day in history , something you guys might want to try if your prepared to spend a few bob on your bikes . I'm going to try this stuff so back to it " Putoline nanno trans " £29.95 per liter . That along with the clutch mod will get me where i've been going ,gear box oil in the gearbox! It's made for comp bikes and wet clutches . And it's not just Putoline light gear box oil .Tried that , and Motul .

Anyone using this in their GASGAS today ?

Shy t .

Ted - I have used this oil ............ and the light gear oil ................... and atf ..................... I am now using castrol power 1 10w 30 and that is what I will be sticking with! cheers - Andrew p.s - what was your clutch mod??

• Like 1

Hey ship , hows things ? Right then if you go to the Beta section of this bike type heading and look at the Dan Williams clutch mod . Take more notice of the friction material ,or more to the point ,the spaces in between the raised bits . Our Gasser ones are like modern replacement kits that you get ,the whole surface is covered . File back to the metal with great care and good tools and then you have double the volume of escape way for the oil to go when you compress the clutch . That Dan Williams is an intelligent engineer his post is very factual and his theory is correct , it works ! Also Ship , do you know that engine oil has been used by several European car manufacturers in gearboxes in the past too .

Good one mate .

Shy t

• Like 1

Sanded down a gouged area of fork and filled the remaining scratches with nail polish. It should improve seal life.

Changed the rear brake fluid, another one that was a pig to bleed. The tolerances on the bleed screw to caliper threads are all too large, air/fluid just leeks by them. Used some red rubber grease to seal them which helped a lot.

I find Teflon tape seals the bleeders just fine.

I can't believe I didn't think of that, thanks for the tip, I'll use it next time.

I've never needed it on other cars or bikes, they've had some leakage but never this bad.

Hey ship , hows things ? Right then if you go to the Beta section of this bike type heading and look at the Dan Williams clutch mod . Take more notice of the friction material ,or more to the point ,the spaces in between the raised bits . Our Gasser ones are like modern replacement kits that you get ,the whole surface is covered . File back to the metal with great care and good tools and then you have double the volume of escape way for the oil to go when you compress the clutch . That Dan Williams is an intelligent engineer his post is very factual and his theory is correct , it works ! Also Ship , do you know that engine oil has been used by several European car manufacturers in gearboxes in the past too .

Good one mate .

Shy t

Hi Ted - that friction plate mod makes perfect sense.... its always the simple things that make the difference isn't it? I use the castrol power 1 (albeit 10w 50) in the ktm on both the engine and gearbox sides (split oils) as ktm specify the same grade oil, not a gearbox specific oil. I phoned the tech people at castrol and they recommended the 10w 30 4t for the Gasser box........... I have used it in the ty-asaurus too and it works well. I reckon combined with your clutch mod it would be spot-on faultless ...........

I can't believe I didn't think of that, thanks for the tip, I'll use it next time.

I've never needed it on other cars or bikes, they've had some leakage but never this bad.

you don't want any teflon getting in your brake fluid !!

Did a tandem hill dive.... perfect symmetry of me and bike going AOT down a big hill... (Fortunately we missed each other) .... think we both manged 4 full revolutions. Picked up bike minus rear mudguard and with bars almost upside down and rode back to fix looking like a circus clown !!! Ah well... If you never try you never learn or get better !!!

If only someone had been filming, you've been framed £250 nailed on ...