What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?

shipdamite

Since I live in Ontario, Canada and am in Rhode Island, USA till late next week, I just fantasized about squeezing my clutch lever.

I could record a graphic and detailed "instructional" video of me squeezing my Gas Gas' clutch lever. To help you get through this tough time until you can be re-united with your Gas Gas

I spent this afternoon making my car bike rack fit on my defender so I could get out tomorrow. Got it all sorted, fitted bike on and strapped down secure with no problem (ish - the handle bar is really close to my rear window). Plugged my light board in to check everything and.......nothing!!!! After a little snooping about I found that my 7 pin isn't actually wired up to anything! So now I have to sort that out before I can go out, that's my Sunday ruined. Lol

I spent the day repairing some damage I inflicted on the bike about 2 months ago. I managed to chip the kickstart pawl gear, and the idler gear it helixes out to & meshes with. When I did this, the bike made a noise almost exactly like a knocking rod sound. :shutup::crying:

KickStartGear2_zpsf4bf6cb9.png

GasGasIdlerGearandBolt_zps33ee922d.png

I replaced the Idler Gear with a new one. I smoothed out the chipped teeth on the k/s pawl gear with a Dremel hand grinder. Reassembled everything, and added some atf. It fired up and sounded just like it used to, and maybe even a bit quieter than it did before. It always used to have some "clutch rattle" when running before. A rattling sound that goes away as soon as you pull in the clutch lever, basically. For whatever reason, it didn't do that today. And speaking of "pulling in the clutch lever", I did it MANY TIMES. :wub: Afterwards, I spent some time balancing with the engine off on my shop floor, and practiced some really ugly front wheel hops.

Actually, today was a sort of "milestone" for me. I had total knee replacement surgery 5 weeks ago, and managed to get my bike started today with the new knee! :banana::bouncy: I am mucho happy-o about that! :thumbup: it was one of my biggest fears that I may not be able to start my bike, and hence, possibly not ride, after the operation. I've pretty much put that fear to rest now. I still have an S3 low compression head insert to put in, which will hopefully make starting even easier on me.....

And Shyted, your bike is INCREDIBLE!!! :icon_salut: I wish my 3 year old bike looked that good. I don't mean to sound like a jerk here or anything like that, but do ever ride that thing? It is so clean.....

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron

I have been in the garage off and on for the past few days. I have looked longingly at my Gas Gas :wub: many times while out there. But alas I have not been able to pump her clutch lever or install the rear suspension bearings that I tore her apart to do. So as she is sitting with swingarm removed and in many pieces I have done the unthinkable and cheated on the Old B.A.G.G......... :crying:

I have been chasing spark on a 1985 Yamaha Phazer snowmobile, I am happy to report that I have found it!! :banana2:

Now I am having a celebratory :beer::guinness:

(just wanted to brag a little bit, because I HATE chasing spark and I just had to brag to somebody that I found it)

• Like 1

Thanks, Andrew!!!

Actually, I'm finding I can do more harm to myself by getting up to pee in the middle of the night, and then tripping over the dog, than most any other way..... :stupid:

Zippy, Good Luck on the linkage bearings. Are you using the caged needle bearings mentioned in another thread here that have the seals built into the ends of the unit? I wish I'd seen that before I'd already bought my bearings, bushings, & seals.... :rolleyes:

Congrats on locating spark in your snowmobile! I typically find all the sprk I need by scootin' across our carpet, and kissing the wife...... :camgavhl:

Jimmie

Thanks, Andrew!!!

Actually, I'm finding I can do more harm to myself by getting up to pee in the middle of the night, and then tripping over the dog, than most any other way..... :stupid:

Zippy, Good Luck on the linkage bearings. Are you using the caged needle bearings mentioned in another thread here that have the seals built into the ends of the unit? I wish I'd seen that before I'd already bought my bearings, bushings, & seals.... :rolleyes:

Congrats on locating spark in your snowmobile! I typically find all the sprk I need by scootin' across our carpet, and kissing the wife...... :camgavhl:

Jimmie

Ya gotta watch out for those ninja dogs. very sneaky they are

I have the All Balls bearing kit, it has the seals separate from the bearings..........It came with the bike when I bought it. So not really out any extra $$

How does your wife like the static shock that builds up from scootin' across the carpet. Does the kiss go a little like this. Scoot Scoot "Hey Honey, Love you" smooch ZZZZZAAAAAAPPPPPP! followed by a loving slap to your face? :hyper:

• Like 1

Man, Oh Man, Zippy! It's like you have a "Zippy Cam" in the Neutron household! You called it pretty accurately, Mah Man!

It's not quite to the point where I need to wear makeup to hide the bruising I get from the wife, but gettin' close, hee hee......

Actually, the Mrs. is pretty darn easy to get along with. She's a dirt bike rider. It is funny to watch her ride my Gas Gas, tho.... For some reason, taking off without a seat really confuses her.....

Jimmie

• Like 1

I think Zipper is snowbound again! He does this stuff in the winter, you know! Wears the wifeys nylons to spark the "happy spot" then rubs his nose!

You are partially accurate Copey.............. we don't have much snow here right now.

After working out, I did some static balancing yesterday. Squeezed the clutch and brake levers a few times, and stomped on the rear brake for good measure.

Quite satisfying....I hope all that squeezin' doesn't make me go blind!

Hoping for an early spring thaw...

Edited by purplebeast

bought a txt 280 pro today just so i could post something in this topic. hope it was worth it!!!

A new one? At any rate, old or new, Congratulations to you, Duffers! :thumbup: I hope it works well for you. I do like my '10 model 280 Pro.....

I rode my bike for the first time in 2 months or so yesterday. It was the first dry & somewhat sunny day we've had in a while. The wife was gone shopping, so I decided to try out my repairs to the bike, as well as the new knee. I only rode it long enough to get the tranny oil warmed up, so I could change that oil. Rode a few tight corners, pulled a few wheelies, double blipped over a stump, and zapped over my log on my dirt here at home. It was the best 10-15 minutes of my life in recent times, I believe.... :banana::bouncy: I'm almost as pumped as the clutch lever is on my bike...... :wub:

Jimmie

• Like 1