Possibly The Sh@#test Gearbox Design Ever?!

shercoben12

What is it with gasgas! Why do they not fix there weak boxes!

I was out on my 08 125 today and hopped up onto a fallen tree which was undercut by about 2 feet. So obvisioly you would hit the sump and rock of the other side. I was not hitting it hard at all and was being very carefull not to hit it harshly. In fact it barely felt it because the rear wheel had left the ground due to the technique used. So I rocked of in 1st gear and headed down hill and there is a loudish grinding noise but only in 1st gear it does not go with clutch in. But it's only when moving (anything more than standstill) I took it back and cleaned it and changed the gear oil and there was loads of metal on the plugs. more than the usual! There were bits of what looked like roller bearings there was about 4 little cylinder shape pieces of metal about 1/4 cm long....

Can anyone help me out?!

Why would it suddenly break like that with a slight hit.?!! There are vids on YouTube of raga indoor dropping of things 12 foot high and landing on some upturned block 8foot below and landing on the sump guard extremely!

Please help!

Ben

What is it with gasgas! Why do they not fix there weak boxes!

I was out on my 08 125 today and hopped up onto a fallen tree which was undercut by about 2 feet. So obvisioly you would hit the sump and rock of the other side. I was not hitting it hard at all and was being very carefull not to hit it harshly. In fact it barely felt it because the rear wheel had left the ground due to the technique used. So I rocked of in 1st gear and headed down hill and there is a loudish grinding noise but only in 1st gear it does not go with clutch in. But it's only when moving (anything more than standstill) I took it back and cleaned it and changed the gear oil and there was loads of metal on the plugs. more than the usual! There were bits of what looked like roller bearings there was about 4 little cylinder shape pieces of metal about 1/4 cm long....

Can anyone help me out?!

Why would it suddenly break like that with a slight hit.?!! There are vids on YouTube of raga indoor dropping of things 12 foot high and landing on some upturned block 8foot below and landing on the sump guard extremely!

Please help!

Ben

Sorry to hear about your trouble . Its no doubt down to old age mate. Theyre not built like they used to be with the strength and size of components. Ragas bike will only be a few months old.

Shes obviously going to need a strip down before you rider her again

Good luck

Ben

In the gearbox there are two split needle roller bearings under one of the gears on each of the two layshafts. From what you descrbe I would think that at least one of these may have failed. Unfortunately it is a complete strip of the box to get at these to repair (and any other subsequent damage to gears). These bearings failing would not be as a results of what you were riding at the time but just the age of the bike and the bearings reaching the end of their life. I have just replaced these bearings as a precaution in both of my son's bikes, and they are 09 and 11 bikes.

Cheers

Steve

My point would be these lightweight designs are ok for experienced riders that know what there doing.

They can pre emp problems and if thing do go wrong they know how to deal with them.

In Shercoben's case it's awful,here we've got a new rider to the sport who will probably struggle to get this repaired.

Up here we've a few worthy clubmembers and good dealers who try there best to help the local lads out when they get big problems.

I think you will need to find a friend Ben?.

I have done theese bearings on two of my friends gg lately. One 05 where there was much damage in the gearbox, and one 08 where there luckily was just the bearings. This has made me a little bit paranoid, so when I notice some new whining in my 10 s gearbox when in third and fourth gear I fear the worst. Maybe do the Job just as precaution? What do you think?

Shercoben , if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any . What happened about the rattle you had ?

Just a money saver suggestion here for you . Priced up a genuine gasgas little end bearing . £16 + vat .

price for a Koyo (good Japanese quality one )from simply bearings £7.75 inc vat and postage . Rebuilt all my road racing Yamahas with them . Suppose what i'm saying is , download the parts catalogue strip motor , find out bearing dimentions via catalogue price them up , but use quality , not Chinese cheapo's , you could save £ 40 overall at a guess . Deffenatly don't ride it .

Ted