What Do You Wear?

oojudoo

I have been looking at getting some trousers for riding in. I don't really fancy forking out loads of money on the dedicated trials trousers, plus I'm not into all the colours, so wondered if any of you guys might have some tips for trousers? ...army surplus?

At a classic trial a few years ago that I went to watch there was a guy wearing overalls!

i wear these, i had them from off ebay for £15, they where advertised as waterproof over pants for trials riding but i just wear them without trousers underneath, they are quite thick and have velcro on the pocket flaps, i had them because at the time i couldn't afford much else, i think they are well worth the money.

I had this problem and looked at a few options. I tried plain old waterproof overtrousers for walking and and then for one ride borrowed some heavier farmers-merchants waterproofs, but both I found got me too hot and sweaty. I then looked at the army surplus Gortex/breathable stuff, but instead went for the £100 Clice 6day trials pants. These did what I wanted for a couple of outings in the cold/wet but quickly prooved to be completely inadequate in terms of build quality and too hot for warmer weather. Poppers falling off and stiching coming undone. So waste of money IMO. There's got to be a better solution for us triallers! For the next cold/wet season, I'll be looking to get some gortex army surplus gear. Im hoping it'll be functional and tough. Not a lot to ask, right?

I also rate the wulfsport clothing, lasted me a couple of years and still wearing well, trails gear snagged on barbed wire, against rocks etc no tears yet. If you don't like the fitted look they do looser motocross trousers which are thick and warm if very cold.

I wear kevlar lined combats. They're a strange shiny material and look crap but they are really tear and abrasion resistant, water repellent (you'll get wet but they won't soak it up) and have both knee and hip armour.

Have a look in the road bike gear on ebay, I paid £20 inc postage.

One bit of advice I can give you, if you go with an "over-the-boot" type of trouser:

Make sure there is something around the very end of the leg that can "adjust", or tighten up tight against your boots.

With the brand I have (ARC, from Rocky Mtn. ATV/Cycle, here in the States), I didn't tighten the cuff enough on my starting side leg. After starting the bike (twice I did this.....), the leg of the pants slipped over the kickstarter lever as I put my foot on the peg. I rode to a section, and was going to get off my bike to walk the section, Instead, when I went to put my rt. leg down, I engaged the kickstarter, with the engine running. :wall:

That happened 2 times during my last trial. I have a new Idler Gear & Kickstarter Gear on order right now....... :crying:

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron

I completely avoid any of the problems associated with pant legs by wearing shorts. They are comfortable, roomy, offer full range of motion, plenty of ventilation on those really warm days and really show off my hairy, pasty, flabby legs that drive the ladies wild.

• Like 3

I completely avoid any of the problems associated with pant legs by wearing shorts. They are comfortable, roomy, offer full range of motion, plenty of ventilation on those really warm days and really show off my hairy, pasty, flabby legs that drive the ladies wild.

I have witnessed this and although I was more disturbed by the sight rather than driven wild, it did look like a good idea

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello All

Does anyone know where I can buy a pair of Wulfsport Max Equipe trials trousers in a 42" waist. Alternatively does anyone know who sells a pair of black trials trousers, in a 42" waist, that don't cost the earth?

Thanks

Tony

My wife and I both use Wulfsport pants. They melt very easy on the first 6" of exhaust pipe. My pants are deformed a little from melting not quite through but my wife's pants (after last ride) have melted through and formed a hole. All from us coming off the bikes whilst on our learning curve. The front pipe area is a magnet for our legs... the pants saved a nasty burn!!!

I zip clipped them for her until we get a new set! She will patch them with kangaroo leather and keep for spares.

They are super comfortable though and will go again with them.... cost about $150 Aussie dollars here.

Mags

post-20008-0-18449200-1402698181_thumb.jpg

Find Matt Gardners stuff on E-Bay uk . Full branded trials gear ,pants and shirt in plainish designs (EXID & EXCIT however you spell the name's) £49.00 brand new in all sizes and if you have the patience go to his site and browse through, as theres heaps of gear really cheap.I bought a Branded trials shirt new for £8 inc postage and it was behind my door 2 day's from ordering.

Edited by shyted
  • Like 1