Which Rules Do You Want In Observed Trials, If This Was Your Choice.

jj65

Which rules do you want  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which observed trials rules do you want, have your vote NOW.

Ok, let's stop going around in circles, each to their own, no one will be happy with whatever rules we have, but let's just see what you all would vote for if you had this as a choice (fun)

So here's your choice:

1. No stop as it is.

2. Stop allowed as it is.

3. 1 to 5, one Mark for each of the following up to 5 in total, combing some of the current rules in no stop and stop allowed, i.e. stop 1 (a 5 after 3 seconds?), foot down 1, go backwards (slightly roll back) 1, lean any part of your body/bike (except tyres and sump) against an object 1, etc, etc, up to a total of 5.

As a rider, I like no stop, as an observer I would go 1 to 5 every day (it would make my life so much easier) and as a spectator, I would also go 1 to 5 (it would still be spectacular, but the best ride would be a clean and the best rider would win.

Please vote, but please don't turn it into an argument, there's enough threads like that already.

Edited by jj65
  • Like 2

Well done jj65. I have been an avid stop allowed exponent, but I can see 1 to 5 working, so I voted that way. It would encourage a rider to keep going but still take chances not to foot, and could well be the best of both worlds. I do think, however, that a stop should only become a stop after a prescribed time, maybe 1, 2 or 3 seconds? Additionally, the stop allowed time limits will still need to be in place to stop riders taking a deliberate '1' and sitting there for 20 seconds preparing for a big step.

• Like 1

I can just see now the disagreements over measurement of time stopped. Personally I wouldn't want to be **sed with having to time things of that duration as well as observing the rest of it. But an interesting idea. I always feel that the simpler something is the easier it is to enforce.

• Like 1

I can just see now the disagreements over measurement of time stopped. Personally I wouldn't want to be **sed with having to time things of that duration as well as observing the rest of it. But an interesting idea. I always feel that the simpler something is the easier it is to enforce.

Rider stops, observer counts...one thousand...two thousand...three thousand, rider is still stationary, 5. Simples.

The whole point of this thread is to find if we can satisfy both stop allowed and no stop camps, but so far, it would appear not, worst still, so far it's had 350 views and only 35 votes (bit like the euro elections).

The reason I suggested a time for stopping is because some will stop for a long time in the section, holding everyone up. The other point which is quite important as far as I concerned (whilst observing) is something that is easier to observe without the observer feeling either intimidated or obliged etc to give a clean or a lesser mark and also doesn't penalise the young and newbies.

I have added "none of the above if you don't like any of them. Please vote if you are reading this thread, don't leave it up to others, have your say, as a poll speaks more than a thousand words.

Edited by jj65

I went "none of the above"

I would like to see a system with keeping what stop allowed already is with the following change.

Stop and balance feet up, no other assistance = 0 (takes skill)

Stop with foot down or other assistance = 5 (you are a kickstand, your bike can do that by itself)

This would stop the "all day dab" and would not stop anyone from riding no stop if they so choose. (just choose an appropriate class for your abilities)

When I set up sections for our club events I actually ride the "lower class" (we have 7 classes) sections no stop to keep them tame and doable.

The upper 3 classes I set up more to stop allowed. The biggest difference is not just obstacle severity but the super tight turns that we give the upper classes prior to the obstacle in order to be able to take points. And this also allows us mere mortals to use a bit more of the abilities of these wonderful machines that have evolved into usable works of art.

• Like 1

I voted other, but of the three choices it would be no-stop. I always thought 1-5, but 10 for a failure. You have to have more of a point spread. Trials has become like basketball. You ride for hours and everyone is separated by just a few points. I can also see a stop allowed, just to catch your balance. No all day dab. And you have to have forward momentum to hop!

• 4 weeks later...
They where asking the riders at the Belgian Championship today, what they prefer, stop allowed or no-stop trials.

As far as I could see, everyone prefered stop allowed.

I'm curious what they are gonna do next year. Listen to the wish of the riders or go on with no-stop...

Id prefer you can have any rules you like as long as you organise the trial. Then about 85% of the noise on this subject will disappear

I would enjoy this the most. I would set even more than I do. It would be the moreland gate system that high score wins. Each gate has a value and it makes it real interesting in line selection. Also it is sudden death. Any dab means no score for that section. Probably the fairest scoring ever, as only a perfect ride get`s you any points. We did a fun event a few trials back, I was the only rider with no dabs. :beer: