Show Us Your Ty

power175

15 hours ago, jon v8 said:

Those tank seat units were sold by Sammy Miller products. They were very good until Ethanol was added to petrol,completely wrecked mine. a shame because it was signed by Mick Andrews.

Sorta what I thought.  This one had been coated with.....something, and the coating is starting to dry and crack.  I've heard a bit of muratic acid will re soften the goop and get it to coat again.  Don't know if I will do that or just get an alloy tank/shelter assembly and be done with it.  This one sure looks nice, though...

Ethanol isn't a problem with my bikes, I run Avgas in them so the problem shouldn't return if I decide to run that tank.  :D

The angle of the photo doesn't show it properly but the seat tubes are parallel to the ground as I would have expected it would be when originally built, shock mounts were positioned by hanging the bike & letting the shocks come into contact with the rear tubes. From memory the amount was around 75mm difference between centres, I seem to remember reading the measurements from the swingarm pivot to the shock mounts of a Majesty on here somewhere & the positioning is very close

I have ridden the bike with the shocks mounted like this & it worked quite well, at the time the motor was very tired with so little compression that I could turn the motor over by grabbing the end of the crankshaft after removing the flywheel with the spark plug still fitted. The steering is really good & it gets good traction, I did find it liked lifting the front which is part of the reason for adding the longer axle plates. I'll measure the wheelbase on Friday to confirm what we suspect has been done to the steering head

23 hours ago, tony27 said:

My 250c which was finally mobile after dark tonight for the first time in a number of years

Rebuilt motor at 70.25mm bore & electronic ignition which is still to get timed with a strobe light. We are really impressed with how the bike behaves, motor is silent & doesn't behave like a 40 year old bike.

Visually the steering head is the same angle as a new Beta & the turning circle is amazing 

Lets see how many little details you can pick up. I'll do some close up photos in a couple of days when I plan on running it in & fine tuning the set up

20180515_150755.jpg

What I think I can see apart from what you have already mentioned are:

DT250 cylinder head.

The exposed section of the fork tubes below the bottom clamp looks a bit longer than standard.

Handlebar clamps are a bit further forward than standard.

Correct on both the bars & DT250 head. The head is quite a bit heavier but I like the look of the radial heads as both my VMX bikes had them at the time I got this, combustion chamber is very similar. The bar mounts were moved by me by cutting & machining, I had the mounts welded on by a good welder before I blended off the extra weld & part of the original casting that stuck out at the back

The forks are now fully Majesty inside, the longer damper rods, progressive springs which feel stiffer than the originals & the adjustable caps. I was surprised at how high the oil level was when using the amount they suggest & will be looking forward to getting some decent time on the bike Friday morning

Some of the other mods may take a longer look & some are definitely not visible in any of the photos I have taken already

Moved_bar_mounts.jpg

Edited by tony27

41 minutes ago, tony27 said:

Correct on both the bars & DT250 head. The head is quite a bit heavier but I like the look of the radial heads as both my VMX bikes had them at the time I got this, combustion chamber is very similar. The bar mounts were moved by me by cutting & machining, I had the mounts welded on by a good welder before I blended off the extra weld & part of the original casting that stuck out at the back

The forks are now fully Majesty inside, the longer damper rods, progressive springs which feel stiffer than the originals & the adjustable caps. I was surprised at how high the oil level was when using the amount they suggest & will be looking forward to getting some decent time on the bike Friday morning

Some of the other mods may take a longer look & some are definitely not visible in any of the photos I have taken already

Moved_bar_mounts.jpg

Maybe there is also a thermal benefit with the DT250 head which could be important up here

That's a really nicely put together bike David, 1 of the local Queensland riders?

Not sure that we'll ever fit a 1 piece tank & seat unit like that but a Majesty tank could be in the distant future plans. After the Kaikoura 3 day next weekend the tank is getting repainted & we plan on making a new header pipe section for the bikes original pipe which has a huge hole blown out at the lower bend

1 hour ago, tony27 said:

That's a really nicely put together bike David, 1 of the local Queensland riders?

Not sure that we'll ever fit a 1 piece tank & seat unit like that but a Majesty tank could be in the distant future plans. After the Kaikoura 3 day next weekend the tank is getting repainted & we plan on making a new header pipe section for the bikes original pipe which has a huge hole blown out at the lower bend

It's a Victorian bike and Jared rode it at a Denman Club (Hunter Valley, NSW) event a few years ago ( a long way from home for both Jared and I).

Are you going to make a standard shape header?

That's a comfortable-looking seat. Did you make it?

I bought a set of the Majesty brand damper rods too and am impressed with the damping action

More that likely the header will be standard shape although if there is enough stainless purchased we may try something different, never let a toolmaker & a retired fabricator/welder loose on a project as you never know where things will end up. 

I deliberately turned down using a set of mono forks, would have been cheaper but I prefer to keep the bike looking as close to stock as possible with our own little touches

The seat came from Sammy Miller products minus brackets, new name of the company is feked off trials parts. foam is fairly soft but it's a lot better that we originally had

The instructions that came with the damper rods etc called for 175cc of oil which isn't really that much more than standard but the height ended up at approximately 95mm from the top of the tube which is higher than the normal 125mm I've used before, quite possible that after giving them a good work out that I'll remove some of the oil. I can say that the springs hold the front up higher than the originals & when we first assembled the forks we tried leaning on each 1 on the floor which showed us they are quite plush & stiffen up the more of the travel is used

The quick spin in the dark on over inflated tyres did impress us, just how tight it turns was surprising & the motor even though it's only had 15 minutes of running has a good power spread, it will be interesting to see once it has more time on it what size main jet we end up with, at the moment there is a #200 main from when the main bearings were worn & it doesn't seem too rich, just incase I have a #160 & #170 to try if needed

Edited by tony27

6 hours ago, tony27 said:

The instructions that came with the damper rods etc called for 175cc of oil which isn't really that much more than standard but the height ended up at approximately 95mm from the top of the tube which is higher than the normal 125mm I've used before, quite possible that after giving them a good work out that I'll remove some of the oil. I can say that the springs hold the front up higher than the originals & when we first assembled the forks we tried leaning on each 1 on the floor which showed us they are quite plush & stiffen up the more of the travel is used

I confess not reading the instructions with the damper rods and set mine to 125mm dip with Dexron ATF, rode a trial, then set them to 125mm dip with 5WT fork oil

• Haha 1

Had a good play on our local tree root venue & I have to say how impressed I am with the forks. They do everything you could ask of them

Back end grips well & I was turning on roots on a hillside tighter than most guys do on their modern bikes which showed how much confidence I got from the bike straight off

Bad points, front brake needs the lever moving 1 spline to give more adjustment. Can't get any real freeplay in the clutch cable & it's a bit far from the lever, can't work out why as adjustment is as per book. Engagement point is very short

Next photo for the eagle eyes

20180525_100121.jpg

• Like 1

The adjustment is behind the ignition cover, if you want a smoother clutch try a longer arm under the motor.

Spacer between the intake and the cylinder and lower and back footrest.

Guy