New Bike... How Often?

heffergm

way back in the day, about 1990 i met andrew codina with gas gas, he said the company philosophy was to build bikes that only needed oil on the chain and gas in the tank. that was their goal for getting and keeping customers. his words not mine.

I am surprised at the number of posts advising limited tire changes.

The tires are the only things touching the ground and giving you grip and feel, I would suggest anyone riding competitively will change a rear tire every 10 to 15 trials, so that's only about £7 per trial.

Anyone suggesting you can ride on a rear for longer than a couple of months is not riding trials, if you doubt this fact try a bike with a new tire it's not the new bike that feels so good it's the new tire !

This does of course depend where you ride, I ride 95% mud, cambers and roots so as soon as the edge has gone the tire gets turned or changed.

Contrary to some opinion, I've been riding trials since the early 1970s and don't feel the need to renew rubber at regular intervals. In about 35 years of riding I've bought maybe 4/5tyres! Yes, a new tyre is a good thing but it doesn't affect my finishing position in any trial. The state of the blocks on my rear tyre isn't the cause of the vast majority of the marks I loose, that's down to a different combination of factors such as balance, throttle control, mental attitude on the day, fatigue, gear selection etc, etc, and the best route to improving my performance is by working on these points.

Edited by cleanorbust

And there are a lot of riders who can ride the **** out of me/''you'' with the same bike, and a very much worn tyre. So skills matter. It depents on what you want, if you are competitive etc. If you want the hobby to be as cheap as possible dont change them, if you want to win your sports than change more regularly.

I am surprised at the number of posts advising limited tire changes.

The tires are the only things touching the ground and giving you grip and feel, I would suggest anyone riding competitively will change a rear tire every 10 to 15 trials, so that's only about £7 per trial.

Anyone suggesting you can ride on a rear for longer than a couple of months is not riding trials, if you doubt this fact try a bike with a new tire it's not the new bike that feels so good it's the new tire !

This does of course depend where you ride, I ride 95% mud, cambers and roots so as soon as the edge has gone the tire gets turned or changed.

a few years back i had a 06 beta i rode that bike for 7 years never changed the tires i competed regularly, about 10 events per year plus a weekly practice. i won the regional sportsman class one year on that bike and the tires were about 3 to 4 years old. i've never taken a point  because i had a bad tire only bad riding technique. yes tires are cheap but i'm not a pro and i'm not riding on anything nearly as demanding as upper class riders. i sold that bike with the original tires still mounted.

I find that it's more important to run tyres at the correct low pressures than to have a new edge on them. I'm still amazed at the number of riders who run their tyres too hard, and never bother with a low pressure gauge. I think it was Mick Andrews who advised pumping up your tyres for practice sessions as not only does this force you to sharpen your skills but when you come to use the correct, low, pressures where it matters, ie in a trial, everything will feel easier than usual and you'll have a useful confidence boost.

• Like 1

I find that it's more important to run tyres at the correct low pressures than to have a new edge on them. I'm still amazed at the number of riders who run their tyres too hard, and never bother with a low pressure gauge. I think it was Mick Andrews who advised pumping up your tyres for practice sessions as not only does this force you to sharpen your skills but when you come to use the correct, low, pressures where it matters, ie in a trial, everything will feel easier than usual and you'll have a useful confidence boost.

Not many riders who practice would follow this advice as its illogical.

You need to learn what your bike will do with you on it,set up for competition.Whats next a badly set up carb or a front brake that doesnt work?

In practice i try to ride sections that i loose marks on so what would be the point of handicapping yourself so you were failing?

New/good tyres are crucial in muddy events(as stated above), not so in dry or rocky trials. Inbetween is just that.

Agree correct pressures are very important

• Like 2

Strange how a lot of riders will change tires during the Scottish, I bet none of those would go a couple of years on a back tire.

Why spend thousands of pounds on a bike and then run on blunt rubber after a couple of months, as I said earlier they are the only things touching the ground ( or should be !)

I recently purchased a 2014 gasgas with absolutely knackered rubber and was told ' there's plenty of life in those' I went straight out and fitted new boots and it really is still like a new bike.

• Like 1