What Do You Think Of My Website?

steve

Hi all,

I am midway through a college course in web design for beginners and as part of the course I had to design a web site.

I used the opportunity to collate some material about my trials riding.

The site was built using basic html so don't expect too much.

Let me know what you think, I am gratefull for any constructive comments.

I don't have a domain name and it's only hosted on the college server so I hope they won't mind a few hits!

Here's the link.

http://212.219.116.40/~sbird/index.html

Thanks,

Steve.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a helluva lot better than my first effort! That was www.sixday.freeserve.co.uk - The first ever SSDT website that went on to become www.ssdt.org. God, it was bloody awful. Granted it was 6 years ago and things have moved on a lot since then, but I remember exactly what it looked like and it was terrible! I regret not saving a copy just so I could look back and laugh.

For a first attempt, thats a real good effort and well done :)

The content is excellent and a real good read.

The layout is fine. Clean and simple. A good design for heavy editorial content.

On the website design front, I would suggest you check for cross browser compliance. Test it in firefox,opera and internet Explorer as IE is sooooo outdated now, the modern browsers coding requirements are a little different.

Use this http://validator.w3.org/ to test if you have any mistakes and if its compliant with the coding you specified.

Good luck !

Ian

Good site and an excellent read. I always find it interesting to hear about local riders and their history. I wish a few others would do the same. There are some great stories out there.

Let me know when you've got a permenant host and i'll add a link from the http://www.cambridgematchless.co.uk' target='_blank'>Cambridge Matchless website to yours.

On the design front... The graphics for the menu are a little blocky

Real good read - I'm easily bored, but read the whole thing!

I won't comment on the web design as I'm terrible so it would mean nothing :)

Video's didn't work for me in Firefox ??? but do in IE, that may be a plug in I've not got, but usually OK.

One thing that I thought would be good - I was tempted to click on all your photo's to enlarge them - an option maybe????

Nice site. :)

What i like most about it is the layout (very reader friendly and uncluttered). It loads quickly which is a Big plus and the colour scheme is easy on the eye. Agree with the above comments, but for a first attempt ten-out-ten. :)

Edited by spud

Use this http://validator.w3.org/ to test if you have any mistakes and if its compliant with the coding you specified.

Thanks for that Ian. I am supprised about IE browser being outdated. I asked around at work and every one I asked uses IE. I suppose it's pre installed and unless you are tech minded why should you change something that works.

Real good read - I'm easily bored, but read the whole thing!

I won't comment on the web design as I'm terrible so it would mean nothing :)

Video's didn't work for me in Firefox ??? but do in IE, that may be a plug in I've not got, but usually OK.

One thing that I thought would be good - I was tempted to click on all your photo's to enlarge them - an option maybe????

The vids are wmv format - My tutor wanted us to use that. If I get my own server then I'll perhaps use a different format, mpeg perhaps?

Not sure what you meant by the comment on the photo's, they can all be enlarged by clicking on the tuhmbnails to the right. Did you mean you wanted to select all of them in one click and then scroll through?

I suppose it's pre installed and unless you are tech minded why should you change something that works.

Because Internet Explorer is a security risk. Its well documented with respect to its vunerablities. Particular problems arise in the way it controls the application of ActiveX scripts. :)

Firefox on the other hand is well know for its security features and is therefore first choice for the business world and for most other people who keep up with the times. It has a variety of plug-ins providing enhanced features. A myriad of different themes and also has the feature of Tabbed Browsing. And all this for free :D ( that made you lot sit up !!! ;) )

GET IT BELOW AND RID THE WORLD OF MICROSOFT PHISH CODING

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/