Where are all the entries????

laird387a

2 hours ago, breagh said:

The bikes are too complicated but so are the rules and the way multi routes have developed.

The whole sport needs streamlined .

Generally speaking the more enjoyable a hobby the simpler it is and Trials flies in the face of this at all levels.

I think multi-routes have become essential as the improvement in bike and rider performance at the top end has created a huge spread of abilities. Three routes in each section seems to work out quite well in practice, although I do wonder if organisers sometimes have to reject an otherwise suitable section because it doesn't lend itself to the spread of abilities.

Personally I'm less keen on 50-50 ("Sportsman +" or whatever you want to call them) classes as it seems a bit of an unnecessary fragmentation. But perhaps it's a way for an improving rider to dip a toe in the water before moving up to a harder route.

It would be nice to run novice trials, clubman trials and expert trials where there is only one route but that would be likely to require more events and each event would get fewer entries.

There is a substantial barrier to entry for all forms of motorsport, but at least trials is better able to poach people from BMX and mountain-biking.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dadof2 said:

*a long account of being unable to maintain a bike*

I agree with you there, maintenance of older modern-style bikes is a PITA, they need a lot of love.  Similarly, maintenance of classic bikes can be disheartening as unless you've completely restored one there's often issues lurking (like main bearings in a seemingly really nice Cota 349 - gah!)

If only someone with the necessary resources could build something like the cheap and easily available pit bikes, only for trials - you can run those on a shoestring despite the lack of quality, and they're super basic to maintain.

10 hours ago, dadof2 said:

By this time junior is well fed up with unreliability and starts wanting a new bike (which dad can't afford) Dad is well cheesed off with always having to fiddle with the bike and spend on it. By now Mum is sick of the the whole damn thing and the cost in wasted time and money and Dad should be doing domestic DIY instead of fiddling with and wasting time and money on a nasty motorbike

The above is a scenario I have seen several times, the end result the family give up on the idea of trials and sell the bike. I have seen the same series of events in Karting and MX. That is why trials needs reliable and easy to fix entry level bikes with cheap parts.

if its simply a case of a cheap easy starter bike why dont the manufacturers do this?

If its such a good idea ill invest 50% with you we'll produce 4 or so and see how well they sell?

Edited by nigel dabster

4 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

I think multi-routes have become essential as the improvement in bike and rider performance at the top end has created a huge spread of abilities. Three routes in each section seems to work out quite well in practice, although I do wonder if organisers sometimes have to reject an otherwise suitable section because it doesn't lend itself to the spread of abilities.

Personally I'm less keen on 50-50 ("Sportsman +" or whatever you want to call them) classes as it seems a bit of an unnecessary fragmentation. But perhaps it's a way for an improving rider to dip a toe in the water before moving up to a harder route.

It would be nice to run novice trials, clubman trials and expert trials where there is only one route but that would be likely to require more events and each event would get fewer entries.

There is a substantial barrier to entry for all forms of motorsport, but at least trials is better able to poach people from BMX and mountain-biking.

Here's my take on one part of the scene.

Club trials should have an easy route with a slightly harder route tacked on.

That's it nothing else.

Set out for beginners and casual riders

Nothing for hard core riders or a practice session for aspiring champions.

Should be the same wheater it  be in Cornwall or Inverness so a rider would know roughly what they're in for.

Nationals/Centre champs leave them for the experienced folk,

We've ended up with club Trials like Nationals and vice versa  it doesn't work,

2 hours ago, breagh said:

We've ended up with club Trials like Nationals and vice versa  it doesn't work,

The last club trial I rode has me seriously considering my membership for that club next year, may be I'm a wuss but that kind of club trial is not what I'm in it for, but there again, I'm old and rubbish so don't expect any club to specifically cater for me. 

• Like 1

Ross Noble on DAVE  Trials on tv will this  bring loads of new riders and entrys to trials . I dont think so as its been said  theres alot more to do than ride trials  AS rider of over 45 yrs ive lost interest in the sport i once loved , Clubs think old riders will go what ever so little or no thought is given to them its all about youth and new riders or experts  with very little thought of sections for the older rider, sections range from  easy move next course then to hard with drop off or jumps  when was the last time you rode across a camber ? its all turn rev drop clutch go .  Pay your entry fee you might get observers/or mark yourself   lot of clubs dont even give trophys  so pay ride with nothing to show for it, I can do that at practice  so why go to a trial ? Remember trials of old club/center/national with a workable grading system ? what i see there is no change of severity between any of them now ,sort that riders might go to trials that will suit them best and be happy but as it is now riders do not have a clue what to expect from trial to trial 

Edited by on it
add info

Just reading through a few  post  - some want harder trials and some want easier trials!!!.

As you cant please all the people all the time we came up with 9 centre championship events per year and a similar amount of club/easy/do what you want trials,

As we are not blessed with lots of budding British champions our centre trials are probably set at a easy/sensible level and populated more by clubmen/sportsmen but we get 60 to 70 riders sometimes which is probably about 50% of the total club membership for the centre so probably as good as we could expect. Not saying we don't still have whinges but that's just life.

I think the only logical answer is if like minded riders in each centre get together and ask their club /centre to run at least some of the event to suit them then all should have at least some events that are perfect for them. For those event that are not to your liking go along and observe or help set out . 

Sometime easy to type on here what is wrong less easy to get out on a cold winter night to go to club or local centre meeting - but somebody has to otherwise the whole lot will just grind to slow stop.

• Like 3

Well, yesterday I rode a trial with a fantastic range of difficulties - I enjoyed myself, managed to complete all of the Sportsman laps (though two sections were solid 5s for me, being juuust a bit beyond my abilities without being dangerous).  Kids on electric bikes managed to do most of it, people on pre-65s managed it ... but there were a couple of sections that were properly challenging to the expert level riders, too.

21 hours ago, jimmyl said:

Sometime easy to type on here what is wrong less easy to get out on a cold winter night to go to club or local centre meeting - but somebody has to otherwise the whole lot will just grind to slow stop.

Sorry but I thought that was point of this was to  find out whats going WRONG with trials ! 

6 hours ago, on it said:

Sorry but I thought that was point of this was to  find out whats going WRONG with trials ! 

"Remember trials of old club/center/national with a workable grading system ? what i see there is no change of severity between any of them now ,sort that riders might go to trials that will suit them best and be happy but as it is now riders do not have a clue what to expect from trial to trial 

The point is riders need to set out and organise the trials they want. if there is no grading system you can go set one up, if the trial is too hard arrange a series that suits you. Nobody will stop you organizing what you want.  If your local club isn't doing it get along a change it or start your own. So long as you go through ACU channels anything is possible. Build it and they will come.!!  

Edited by jimmyl

1 hour ago, jimmyl said:

The point is riders need to set out and organise the trials they want. 

The problem is ,they can & do,  at a practice area and NEVER go to trial in there life !  or like me stop doing trials and go to a practice area to ride instead. So has clubs become there own worst enemys opening practice areas ?

2 hours ago, on it said:

The problem is ,they can & do,  at a practice area and NEVER go to trial in there life !  or like me stop doing trials and go to a practice area to ride instead. So has clubs become there own worst enemys opening practice areas ?

That's called having a play - a trial is an organised competitive event .

If you are happy going for a play then carry on - the choice is yours.

If you want to be involved in some form of competition that suits your ambition/ability/preference and there are non about then get involved and organise the events that you would like to ride in. If thee are clubs that run events you like go and help out if you don't already.

"Clubs" are the riders so whatever its member want to do is fine -if you want a practice club then so be it.

If a certain club runs trials in a manner that is not very popular then market forces will soon dictate the number of riders it gets. If that club can maintain enough revenue and volunteers to keep running then so be it.  However if that club signs up to a championship that has certain criteria then it should follow that criteria -apart from that it can do what it likes so long as it stay with the rules of whatever governing body it runs under

Edited by jimmyl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyl said:

That's called having a play - a trial is an organised competitive event .

If you are happy going for a play then carry on - the choice is yours.

If you want to be involved in some form of competition that suits your ambition/ability/preference and there are non about then get involved and organise the events that you would like to ride in. If thee are clubs that run events you like go and help out if you don't already.

"Clubs" are the riders so whatever its member want to do is fine -if you want a practice club then so be it.

If a certain club runs trials in a manner that is not very popular then market forces will soon dictate the number of riders it gets. If that club can maintain enough revenue and volunteers to keep running then so be it.  However if that club signs up to a championship that has certain criteria then it should follow that criteria -apart from that it can do what it likes so long as it stay with the rules of whatever governing body it runs under

ok what ever !   trials is perfect no problems loads of new riders and entrys  ,waist of a topic really