Riding a 4RT

mercuryrev

1 hour ago, pjw123 said:

Build quality, reliability & suspension peerless. Sounds great & lovely to ride, although weight is an issue, as basic design has been around since 2005.Great on rocky going, but not so great at gripping in muddy conditions. Spare parts are very reasonable, especially breakables like plastics. Airbox is a bit of a muck attractor & sidestand could be better.  4RT will be perfectly OK if you are are just enjoying the occasional trial & having some fun.

Buy one & keep it.  But... If you are competing every week & plan to progress, then 2 stroke wins the day for mr average. 

n.b Toni's bike may look like a 4RT, but it has been hand crafted out of "Unobtainium" , & will no doubt weigh just slightly more than the rule book minimum..     

Thanks for the reply.

Luckily round here we're dry for about 6 months of the year, although the past month has been very wet.

Secondhand bikes and cars hold their money here, largely because there are so few on the market. So whilst buying a Mont is more expensive than the UK, it will hold it's money. There's a 2015 Repsol up for around £6k at the moment, on a private sale.

9 minutes ago, johnsandywhite said:

Yes. I have some GREAT practice areas that are used for National, Classic and last September the World Trials Comps. It's a place called La Nucia. Just inland up the mountain from Benidorm. I also have a practice area around Benidorm. Here are a few areas I ride at La Nucia. The weather has been great fro the 3 weeks we have been here. I learned to use the clutch during the past 5 years, the bikes have very rarely got away from me.

4.jpg

Looks a great area to be able to ride. We are in your area towards the end of February heading back from a few weeks in Portugal. Got friends living in Torrevieja and hoping to get some cycling in while we're there.

Do you have to register the bike for the road, insure it, etc.?

1 hour ago, mercuryrev said:

Thanks for the reply

You sound like you're riding it gently and just taking your time to do stuff? 

Are you just riding it on the throttle or using the clutch to control things?

Hi - yes I use the clutch a lot on tight sections. 

3 hours ago, mercuryrev said:

Thanks for the reply.

Luckily round here we're dry for about 6 months of the year, although the past month has been very wet.

Secondhand bikes and cars hold their money here, largely because there are so few on the market. So whilst buying a Mont is more expensive than the UK, it will hold it's money. There's a 2015 Repsol up for around £6k at the moment, on a private sale.

Could you buy one from the UK,much cheaper.Dont know what the import legislation allows,but worth looking into 

8 minutes ago, huski said:

Could you buy one from the UK,much cheaper.Dont know what the import legislation allows,but worth looking into 

Thanks for the reply

Sadly not, bikes have to be registered here and the process for doing this makes it roughly the same price. Add in the time spent doing it and it really isn't worth it.

8 hours ago, markparrish said:

I have recently changed from a 2 stroke Rev3 to a 4 stroke Evo. I love it! I find it just as light and easy to manoeuvre and the smooth power delivery is perfect for me. It is very torquey and pulls up hills really well. I also find it grips better than my old Rev in the mud - not sure why some find grip difficult. Anyway - I'm just a wobbler and not jumping or hopping anywhere - I just like the bike because it goes where I dare to point it!

A 4 stroke Beta is a total different animal than a Montesa. My son is actually going back to a 4 stroke Beta after having a TRS 300RR. He does not care for the Montesa at all. If you have not had much time on a 4RT how can you comment?

Monts Tickover at around 1800. Don’t worry about this, most owners gear them down from 10/41 to 9/41, this makes them slightly easier to handle.  You can ride them off the clutch or on the clutch. The bike will not run away with you, shut it off and you have a little engine braking coming into play (I like this personally). It’s true they are a little heavier, again I wouldn’t worry on this score. I see plenty of riders winning on the Monts - they are capable machines - as ever it comes down to the riders ability. The main changes of late on the Monts (4RT and Repsol came in with the 260 engine - the ones with the map switch). My advice would be to try and avoid anything older than ‘16. Bon chance!

• Like 1

Gearing down I think spoils the 4rt best points in that it’s gear are long- first gear is amazing on std gearing- you can clean things in first that beta fixers are doing in 3rd.

i think the trick on a  4rt is to use the higher tick over  to your advantage. Maybe on a t2 you blip throttle and slip clutch against each other - modulatting both  On the mont you set the throttle steady and modulate the clutch against it .  This seems to help smooth out the torque spikes and minimise engine braking .

if you blip the throttle you get a kind of learner driver kangaroo juice effect in miniature 

I’m still on the learning curve and found It be a handful initially, I geared it down to 9/41 and it seemed to suit me and the tight stuff that we were riding better. I did move back to 10/41 for a while thinking it should work better. Gone back to 9/41 for now- but I appreciate the sentiment - a bit more time under my belt and I dare say I’ll be back to where I started!

I recognise the kangaroo juice ? and can see how the set the throttle and clutch is good. Thing is when you’re on and off the throttle you’re more likely to break traction and you’re a gonner in the mud...

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 12:22 AM, lineaway said:

A 4 stroke Beta is a total different animal than a Montesa. My son is actually going back to a 4 stroke Beta after having a TRS 300RR. He does not care for the Montesa at all. If you have not had much time on a 4RT how can you comment?

Reading back I can see now that the original poster was asking about a specific make and model. In my haste I thought he was considering the more general case of moving from 2stroke to 4 stroke, but, prompted to re read it by your question, I can see I was wrong in this respect. Perhaps, as I thought, it is good to hear that other 4 strokes are worth considering when you are thinking of a new purchase such as this? Maybe you think not, although I see you mentioned that your son also likes the Beta 4 stroke, so perhaps you might have used the opportunity to elaborate on this? The original poster did reply to me courteously so although you seem to have a problem with my contribution, I suspect he has not been overly upset by it and he will choose to ignore it as the ramblings of an old man if he wishes. I will continue to offer positive advice and support within the parameters of my limited experience but I will endeavour to keep more closely on topic in future. Thank you for putting me straight.

21 minutes ago, markparrish said:

Reading back I can see now that the original poster was asking about a specific make and model. In my haste I thought he was considering the more general case of moving from 2stroke to 4 stroke, but, prompted to re read it by your question, I can see I was wrong in this respect. Perhaps, as I thought, it is good to hear that other 4 strokes are worth considering when you are thinking of a new purchase such as this? Maybe you think not, although I see you mentioned that your son also likes the Beta 4 stroke, so perhaps you might have used the opportunity to elaborate on this? The original poster did reply to me courteously so although you seem to have a problem with my contribution, I suspect he has not been overly upset by it and he will choose to ignore it as the ramblings of an old man if he wishes. I will continue to offer positive advice and support within the parameters of my limited experience but I will endeavour to keep more closely on topic in future. Thank you for putting me straight.

lineaway tends to be a bit blunt, but I think his intentions and depth of experience make his contributions worth considering.

• Like 1

Yeah, sorry I am a little short at times. But there is a huge difference between the 4rt and the 4T. Both of these 4 strokes are excellent machines. Both are heavy compared to a two stroke, but can be ridden well with the right rider. I have never owned either, but have spent lots of hours on each. I spend as much time on these as I do my own two stroke. The Beta is all about the motor, point and shoot at anything with confidence. The 4RT is all about superb handling and suspension. Working on either machine is not fun. The Montesa wins hands down in that department, as no jetting is needed. We ride from 3000 ft to 12,000 ft elevation. So keeping the Beta running at it`s peak is a real pain as that carb is difficult to deal with.  I am coming to the end of my years of riding our Expert class. (Not near as hard as it used to be since we have Pro now.) I started in 1974 and 2020 might be the time to start riding an easy line and have more fun. I have always been a closet 4RT lover and I think the new 301 looks like the right bike for the job. But the 4RT is not for everyone. I have seen a lot of riders that have owned one, back on a two stroke within a year or two. Just as my son is getting off a TRS 300 and getting on a 300 Beta 4T. The Beta just puts a grin on his face, but I just think it`s the sound of the Arrow exhaust! 

• Like 2

Well, what an interesting topic

I have had 4RT's since they came out, 2005..............always 250's and never owned a 260 ( I have ridden a 260, but couldn't tell much difference)

Now ride a 2007 Repsol

I have always struggled with grip, probably because I don't ride it consistently and I am a Clubman Novice now.

A few years ago, I bought a a TYZ 250 and now ride this more often as I seem to find it easier to get better results on

The TYZ is not your typical revvy 2T, as it has a larger flywheel and delivers torque in spades, will plonk from nothing and find grip where others fail to find any (loose banks and cambers) and therefore is not dissimilar to a 4T, in some respects

My TYZ has had the frame modified and the turning radius is now the same as a 4RT, at the headstock.............forks are are great and rear shock is acceptable

It has become my favourite Trials bike, in the stable

Love owning the 4RT, however much prefer riding the TYZ

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 12:05 PM, heffergm said:

There are tons of them around here, ridden from clubman level up through more advanced, and whatever differences there may be, they all seem to do fine on them. To me the feel like a pregnant horse through the footpegs, so I'd never bother with one, but clearly some people like them...

1. I’ve never seen a horse with footpegs. Pregnant or otherwise.
  2. What does a pregnant horse feel like?