LDTs

rr62

I couldn’t find a thread for LDTs. Just looking for some very basic advice as I am going to do a couple next year (incl. Lands End). I don’t have a bike for this yet but I am thinking of either a DT175, XL125 or XT250. 
Anyone done the Lands End? Any views on bike choice (late seventies/early eighties Japanese is the brief)? Nb. I have looked at Yamaha Serows, Beta Alps etc but like the idea of an older bike.
And any other tips etc more than welcomed!

I'm guessing they mean Long Distance Trials, which is a very different kettle of fish to Observed Trials!

My advice on bike choice: get something light, and if you're new to it something with a front disk brake.  I would err towards a 4 stroke, but that's personal preference (says she who owns a 250 Pampera and a EC 250 which were both long distance trial machines).  Make sure you have an o-ring chain in good nick.  Be prepared to be soaked, frozen, and exhausted - think about what kind of bike you'll be happy picking up out of the mud and kick starting when in that condition.

• Like 1

See the latest entry list for the M-ECVC LDT 9th October.   A right mix of bikes, some have the opinion "the stranger the bike the more fun in finishing and don't worry about the points".    Still entries available, details in the Calendar section of Trials Central.

To date 17.9.2021.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rr62 said:

Def not riding my TY - now that would be a slog for 300 miles…!

Any bike will be a slog after 300 miles and various off road sections.  Come to think of it, one suggestion that mixes new and old school would be an XR250R, I had a 1991 one set up for long distance offroad touring (250 miles on a tank) and it was nice to use and not horribly heavy :)

I like the XR250R - soaring prices (like all bikes right now) but some good ones around and would, I’m sure, be fine on the open lane trail ‘sections’ (as they’re not really trials sections). Good shout.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rr62 said:

Def not riding my TY - now that would be a slog for 300 miles…!

I've done quite a few LDTs around the Exmoor area and marshalled others in Devon and Cornwall. The Land's End is very much the exception when it comes to distance; most are a manageable distance to cover on a trail bike with generally just 1 refuel stop.

LDTs are generally (for most people) considered to be a bloody good trail ride with much private land that you wouldn't normally get to ride thrown in. Oh, and there are a number of scored sections just so that you and your mates have some reason to take the p1$$ out of each other.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2