Confused Novice

ktmtalk

After reading a few posts complaining about newbies making their first post a "which bike should I buy", I'm almost afriad to ask but.... at the risk of getting booted off on my first day here.... here is my question.

I am a fat old guy wanting to get into trials riding.

I am probably an intermediate enduro/hare scrambles rider.

I currently own a 2006 300xcw KTM and a 2005 450exc KTM.

Compared to everyone else here, I am probably a below-novice trials rider but I am "determined" to learn and improve. I am nowhere near ready to compete but that could be an option as I improve.

I have narrowed my choices down to the three following bikes:

2004 Montesa 315r - $3500

2005 Sherco 2.9 for $3400.

2007 Beta Rev3 - $4600

All three are in brand-new, pristine condition.

2005 Sherco 2.9 is owned by a novice, has only been ridden twice in the last year - decided that he wants a "trail bike" instead of a trials bike.

2007 Beta Rev3 is a 270 2 stroke, owned by an expert trials rider that claims meticulous maintenance - I kinda believe him.

Don't know anything about the Montesa owner nor his riding ability.

I live in Houston Texas -

Which one should a fat old novice like me get???

-pat-

Edited by ktmtalk

After reading a few posts complaining about newbies making their first post a "which bike should I buy", I'm almost afriad to ask but.... at the risk of getting booted off on my first day here.... here is my question.

Welcome to Trials Central. As the evil overlord of the chaos that is this website, I can reassure you that you will NOT be "booted off" or anything else for asking genuine questions! The whole "which bike is best thing" isn't so much about newcomers asking, but how the various brigades and loyalties respond. From the majority of users on here you will not get an unbiased opinion. They will tell you their brand is best, but not really tell you why ;) The sensible few (and we do have some!) will tell you, and anybody else who asks the same question - try the different bikes and see what suits you personally. I'll now pass this to the sensible members who can advise further :)

As the evil overlord of the chaos that is this website,

;)

What the evil one says is spot on, try as many different bikes as you can and if you can get a decent test ride on the three you list do so. Find the one that you feel most comfortable on because to be honest there are very few honest trials riders who won't maintain their bike, so the standard will be pretty good, It's all about how you feel

Montesa - don't know much, only rode a few but seemed smooth enough

Sherco - Pogo stick with a quick temper if you're not careful, my old man had one. I do know a couple of blokes who reckon they are the doggies danglers

Beta - A little biased but felt neutral and comfortable straight away ( I'm fat and aging rapidly as well - I'll say it before any of the other ******s on here do!!!)

It really is down to how you feel on the bike

Good luck and welcome to the madhouse

ktmtalk Posted Today, 02:41 PM

I was going to say something on your site-I'm "tychris" on your site, (he's the Admin of a much bigger KTM forum) but I'll say it here instead. I know both those bikes. I know the owner of the Beta and the previous owner of the Sherco (it's Mich lin's old bike- that will mean something to the regulars on this site). While the Beta owner may be an expert he isn't hard on his bikes and he didn't ride many events last year. There is nothing wrong with that Sherco, but the Beta would be a better choice.

Also notice I'm currently riding a 2.9 Sherco and am recommending the Beta.

Edited by sirhc

sirhc Posted Today, 08:31 PM

the Sherco (it's Mich lin's old bike)

Well, we know that one has never seen the inside of a section just the trail leading to it. ;)

OK enough stupidity,

Alot of how well the bike works or handles for you is how comfortable you feel on it, not just how the machine performs. If your body position is just not quite right with one of the three but seems better with another one than you want what is comfy. A large part of confidence to get over an obstacle is being comfortable on the bike.

My concern about the Sherco and the Beta is that they are both expert level bikes and I'm probably talking out of my &^%$ about the Sherco but the Beta is definitely an expert level bike. I'm not saying that the Mont isn't just that it's a 250 and probably a bit gentler than the other two. That said, there's nothing a base gasket or two can't fix.

Well, we know that one has never seen the inside of a section just the trail leading to it. ;)

OK enough stupidity,

think of the extra sale value though It's had Lane's ar$e on it at some point :) ....daresay it could be more it could be Debbie's

oi Evil Overlord..how can ar$e be **** out.....come on :D

Enough Silliness

By the way our colonial chums, how's she recovering after her accident??

Edited by Slapshot 3

Do I dare say the current Montesa status in the US could be considered a little bleep. Sherco rides easier, Beta is the better equipment. Sherco would probably be better to learn on. Any way all the newer bikes are great. Might look more at who your local dealers are. Just go have fun.!!

Rather then give my opinion I suggest you take a stroll through the individual bike forums on this site. You'll get a pretty good feel for the usual problems/solutions for each brand and how they are viewed by the community of riders. No bike is perfect (except mine of course) but they are all a whole lot of fun.

As Ron Commo always tells me, nobody needs more then a 125 to ride trials. That is obvious from watching the world juniors ride. Of course I'm an idiot and buy a 270 anyway but don't think you need the biggest engine to do well. A bigger engine will tire you out quicker and when a 270-290 gets away from you it does it with a certain enthusiasm that can't be described without lots of crunching and scraping noises. (see avatar)

Edited by Dan Williams

Pat,

Not sure who has the Mont down there, but I would consider it the most gentile of the lot with good reliability unless the Beta is a 250, probably not.

The last of the 2T Monts is a well refined product and if you can find a nice one you are in luck! It is like a big girl, that little extra weight just provides comfort! And if you have met James W. he can take good care of you! ;)

I have a 125 sherco and a 125 beta. The sherco is "easier" to ride. The beta turns very well and I seem to be able to find more traction with it.

Some old trials guy who is a new england florida halfback transplant told me "Pwol" If you buy a 125 you will learn trials technique, if you buy a big bore you may never learn "Proper" technique. You can get away with poor form more on a big bore than a small bore. It's like the 125 mx class, no mistakes. Plus I haven't seen anything I was willing to try, that I didn't have plenty of power for. And I love to hillclimb!

So , if you want to LEARN trials technique start small.

And trials is ALL about technique.

So out of your current choices, I'd buy the sherco(even though it is to big for you), learn to ride and then get whatever I thought made me great.

Pat, I don't think you can make a bad choice. But looking at the price I'd say the Beta is the best deal. I know several people that have '07 Betas and they are a great bike. The Beta is easier to balance than the Monty and the cluch action should be smoother. I have an'00 315R and it is still a good bike, that '04 is probably a very good bike. That said, at a $1k price difference for a 3 year newer bike I'd take the Beta. I have only ridden a Sherco a little but like them also.

My concern about the Sherco and the Beta is that they are both expert level bikes and I'm probably talking out of my &^%$ about the Sherco but the Beta is definitely an expert level bike. I'm not saying that the Mont isn't just that it's a 250 and probably a bit gentler than the other two. That said, there's nothing a base gasket or two can't fix.

Rubbish the 2005 Sherco (I owned one ) is a great bike.

I would choose between the Sherco and beta, try both and then you will know .

The 315 was old hat then and the 4rt is already 3 years old.

The first bike I had getting back into trials was a Sherco 290. As I hadn't ridden trials for like 18 years (or any other off road bike), I didn't know what to compare it too. I thought it was pretty powerful but didn't think it was overly powerful. Other people were saying all sorts of things about it being a handful etc etc but I didnt think it was anything special. Probably because I hadn't ridden anything else to compare it too.

I reckon its a great bike. No problems with it whatsoever. Easy to ride and maintain. And considering you ride a biggish enduro bike, I wouldn't think you will find it a problem. Have a go and see what you think. ;)