Hondas On E Bucket

slapshot 3

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Slapshot. Was that Lex Allan a little guy? I think I remember him. The first to have TL125's in my area were Howard Graham and Hamish Donald. Howard had his bored out by Pete Jerred and another guy called Fraser Scott from Bathgate had his taken out to 150cc using a Honda 750 Four piston by Derek Green at Vic Allan Motorcycles (now Jim Allan Motorcycles) at Bathgate. Howard bought a Sammy Miller Hi-boy frame for his if I remember correctly, that was back in 1976! Of course Tommy Sandham of Trials & Motocross News fame had one as well and he always wanted a 301 Honda like Sammy's. He never owned one but test rode a 305 works bike along with Mike Rapley, I think it was the one Hattori had ridden, details were featured in his book, "Four Stroke Finale". Tommy is still around and we correspond by e-mail nowadays.

Big John

Correct, little round guy, wider than me, played in a lot of Jazz bands, hung around a lot with Gerry Boreland and Ronnie Peterson (you might know their names). Always remember that one cos my dad tried to buy it off him once upon a time for me to get into riding. If I remember it was yellow and white in colour.

Hamish wanted to buy the TLR I had but dad wanted more cash than was on offer at the time. Hamish always had honda's as far back as I can remember with the odd two stroke thrown in.

Got a copy of Tommy's book as well as the two SSDT ones. Tommy Sandham, another name from my distant past......

totalsh..., never found a reliable twin shock that all you had to do was jump on and ride each week. but in a way, you're right, in a year you'll probably find yourself missing trials whilst searching bits you wont find this time, but hey, think of the money you'll be saving

I used a TLR250 for about 5 years - maintenance was a regular oil change, filter clean and a chain / sprockets and plug when required. I wonder how much work and money you would spend you would have to do to keep a G** G**, Beta or Sherco running over that amout of use - Spanish and Italian 2 strokes are not built to last!

Hey Slapshot. Was that Lex Allan a little guy? I think I remember him. The first to have TL125's in my area were Howard Graham and Hamish Donald. Howard had his bored out by Pete Jerred and another guy called Fraser Scott from Bathgate had his taken out to 150cc using a Honda 750 Four piston by Derek Green at Vic Allan Motorcycles (now Jim Allan Motorcycles) at Bathgate. Howard bought a Sammy Miller Hi-boy frame for his if I remember correctly, that was back in 1976! Of course Tommy Sandham of Trials & Motocross News fame had one as well and he always wanted a 301 Honda like Sammy's. He never owned one but test rode a 305 works bike along with Mike Rapley, I think it was the one Hattori had ridden, details were featured in his book, "Four Stroke Finale". Tommy is still around and we correspond by e-mail nowadays.

Big John

My Dad used to bore the little TL125'S out to 180cc using apiston out of a 350 twin he had to open the crankcases out too for obvious reasons but it made a cracking little bike especially in a Miller High Boy frame, infact they were quite competitive much better than the big heavy TL 250. :wacko:

Spanish and Italian 2 strokes are not built to last!

er, beg to differ... There are plenty of Ossas, Bults and Montesas in use today that are 30 years old, Fantics and SWM that are 20+ as there are Hondas, but there are also plenty of Hondas with rattling, smoking engines, rotten wheel rims, rotted out exhausts and pitted fork legs. The 4RT isn't without it's problems (I've got one before anyone accuses me of 4RT bashing) and the CRF enduro/motox range have been known to have a little problem of wearing their valve seats and not starting when hot due to no valve clearance.

There is no such thing as a perfectly reliable bike, wherever it's from

As for the start bid hiking on the RS250 and the TLR Hondas, HondaRS was doing that a few months ago with a replica RS250 frame. If that bid of

Acouple of people have told me about a much modified Seeley Honda on E Bay. I'm pretty sure its one I built for a guy called Pete Buckingham who was a pretty good motocrosser in the Southern Center and a good mate of Pete Webb of Windsor Comp Shop fame. I still have lots of photos of the project as PB came along every few weeks with his camera as I was doing it. Any photos of it as it is now?

• 4 months later...

hey

idd nice topic

what do you think of this bike?

it was my first trials bike 1990-1992

i started back in 2005 an have another honda now (tlr 200)

anyone who knows what happend whit my bike? my dad thinks he sold it to a frenchmen who drove a tigercub in the pre 65 trials then.

hey

idd nice topic

what do you think of this bike?

it was my first trials bike 1990-1992

i started back in 2005 an have another honda now (tlr 200)

anyone who knows what happend whit my bike? my dad thinks he sold it to a frenchmen who drove a tigercub in the pre 65 trials then.

hmm how do i have to place a picture of the bike?

srry i am new to all this