hop blip and a jump

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job Martin.

Can you do this one up for me ?? :bouncy:

It needs a bit of TLC

Reckon you are quite capable of doing it yourself........judging by this effort :moon::D

2006_0226Image0009.jpg

Martin

Yep im pretty pleased with that one but it as so much work.

I'm still making my mind up with this new Mecatecno project.

The first one was to near standard spec so im thinking why do i need 2 the same ??

Id love a Dragonfly but they are as rare as Rocking horse **** with only one i know for sale thats sooooo much money and not round the corner (ie not UK).

As the Skywalker evolved from the Dragonfly perhaps ill just undo the modifications they made. The engine is pretty much the same as is the frame. The forks are now upside down but other than this the bikes are very similar.

Im thinking of Mecatecno dragonfly colours with flourescent orange forks , and matching Meca 3 spoke mag wheels that ive got hanging around .White frame. I may skip on going blue on the engine cases / cylinder and leave them bare.

Pretty much to match this piccie here.

Sure it wont be an origional Dragonfly , but it should the identical and be quite trick

Ill show you the piccies once its done , by Aprilish as my current rate. :chairfall:

Edited by gasgas249uk

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I have just joined the forum and am reading the classic forum with interest.

I cant really believe that there are so many perfectly restored bikes out there.

I guess like me, you all got fed up with riding modern trials and losing money each year to keep up with the latest bikes when you can spend money on a good classic and even if it only gets ridden in anger once a month you can relax in the knowledge that it's value will not diminish, in fact may actually prove to be an investment.

Here is a Cub that was finished quite recently with the help of some great work from Alan Whitton. (actually, since this picture was taken I have also added a McDonald - Armac rear subframe and swinging arm). All that is now left is to get it running well on a Villiers or Amal carb to make it comply with the rules in most classic trials - even Scotland in 08 perhaps??

If anyone can put me in touch with the right person for modifying Villers of Amal carbs I would appreciate it.

We are also just embarking on a Sprite restoration too so will post some pictures of that one too when it's finished. If anyone is interested, I am documenting the job in pictures and words on my Blog site - http://classicrider444.blogspot.com/

DSC00045.jpg

Thought I'd add my contribution to this thread, my SWM Jumbo, a recently completed first bike restoration. it doesn't match up to the quality of most of the bikes shown, but hopefully its going a usable bike for local trials. It seems that SWMs are easier to get parts for than Fantic's and Montesa's, so I would recommend them to anyone thinking of getting a twinshock and getting rid of the new mono with no soul :beer:

jumbo-fini-4-small.jpg

Its been good fun to do, it is a money pit, but then I expected it. I've also found it useful to write up the project and it seems so have others. Blogging trials bike rebuilds seems to be popular, so happy for anyone to have a user name on my site to write up their projects. Finally, manythanks to Martin for all his help ...

Edited by malcra

• 1 month later...

I thought you would like to see the Sprite project that we have just about finished. The 'before' pictures of the bike are not that clear but you get the idea of the state of it.

The project to date has taken only 6 weeks so big thanks to my Dad - Pete Dawson who has put a tremendous amount of time and effort in turing it around for me. He can be contacted on 01527 870365 if you have a project that you want to commision him to do...

Full details of the restoration can be found on http://classicrider444.blogspot.com

Sprite55.jpg

Sprite56.jpg

Sprite1c.jpg

Sprite1a.jpg

Wow, I guess if I had intentions of posting pictures of a Ty175 project on TC, I'll need to up the quality of workmanship!

That bike looks fantastic. Your blog looks good too. More pictures of actual production would be cool.

Work like yours makes me want to go wash and wax my bike. As if that would make it look as good as yours!

Paul