Have I Missed Something-acu Sport Moto Magazine?

tone

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ahh the world famous ASIA 3 MONTH TROPHY TRIAL any chance he can sort out my master card they

must run past that hut they call a callcenter :wacko:

hang on did i read the words editor/paid/asia/not available/back next year, john your in the wrong job!!!

The guy is not just " our" Editor. He is paid to edit the magazine - I assume he also does the same thing for other publications - as with only 4 issues a year - he is certainly not going to make a living from ours.

He is in Asia - I do not know if he is there on work or holiday - not by business surely?

Nothing special about going to Asia these days - guy from pub where I drink as been there for 2 weeks - and he is on dole - that is Bankcock so it may be a different story.

Anyway - as " theused" states - what do I know about it all anyway?

john are there any more topics you or the acu want to discuss before you pull the rest of your hair out,

cut up your old bulto, smash your computer to bits,and live as far away from the words acu forum as you

can get, i've read nearly all your posts and surely if i was in your position 3 months in asia at this time of

the year looks mighty inviting, maybe the editor knows something ?

Such contributions however take time - and I am starting to wonder why everyone believes that peole like myself - owe it to everyone else to be putting ever more hours into the job - there are only so many hours in a day - and there is the small matter of trying to earn a crust in between. It is a matter of priority of what you can and cannot get done. Everything is important - but not everything gets done.

Hallelujah!

How many of you have contributed?

I have. The Editor has a free trialsphotos download account and has been told to take and use whatever he wants. Nothing in it for me except maybe a bit of publicity, but if it helps the cause then I'm cool with it.

I have in the past sent an article and photos but have not done so as I have been busy with other things, catching up on work mainly. However I have not had a request for anything and the editor knows my numbers/addresses etc.

Blameless no but as john said a mention might have been good.

what I'm getting at is that the editor only does 4 issues a year, all he does is compile the material from all the sports and put it together.

he is no the editor in a newspaper sense that actually writes stories, he is probable a road race bloke who knows nothing of "banana bikes"

if we, the trials world get off our a*** and sort some decent content out for the two pages of whatever that trials has then no problem - in reality the point of the magazine is no to preach to the converted (ie us lot in the know in the trials world) but to the other motorcyclists (eg rich road racers who want a Sunday ride out) who might come to our events as paying punters so we can get more money to reinvest in the sport

thus I'm making a fundamental critique of all the moaners out there who expect it to be more than that, and by inference they are belittle the hardworking volunteers who do so much already

in reality the point of the magazine is no to preach to the converted (ie us lot in the know in the trials world) but to the other motorcyclists (eg rich road racers who want a Sunday ride out)

Just an observaton but you don't get many rich road racers.

By far the majority spend every penny they can get just keeping their bikes on the track, then in the off season spend their weekends either doing overtime to pay off their overdraft, or working on the bike getting it ready for next year.

from the point of view as a club that promoter several large spectator events, the best market to recruit crowds from is the biking community. money spent advertising in MCN really does bring us results. thus we spend money advertising in the BSB at Brands Hatch last year, we have built a road bike "car" park so bike's stands don't sink etc

there is a marginal tendency for leisure bikers out there to want to ride their bikes somewhere on a Sunday, and promoting going to the local motorcycle sport event as that helps us.

might just be that down here, close to London / commuter belt, next to Brands hatch - we do have a lot of leisure road bikers...

• 3 months later...

• 3 months later...

I hate to be negative but I find the ACU mag a load of drivel and not a patch on its AMCA equivalent.

Very little of the information is new and most of it is several months old. The whole thing needs sharpening up or abandoning altogether.

Sorry, but I cant dress it up any better.

As i have said before, the ACU mag gets swiftly chucked in the bin every time i receive it along with the Handbook, what a bloody waste of money, only time i will keep it is if we are getting low on firelighters for the fire. Do a disclaimer on the registration form ACU, letting us make the descision to read the handbook online and we dont want it sent out,.... along with the mag, should save you a few quid!!!!!!!!!

.... Do a disclaimer on the registration form ACU, letting us make the descision to read the handbook online and we dont want it sent out,.... along with the mag, should save you a few quid!!!!!!!!!

I'll go with that Justin. Sounds good to me <_<

On the acu- sport moto mag, I think the comments are valid although I for one have mentioned that a big problem with the ACU in the past, has been poor communication and at least they are making an effort. It does appear though that its not what people want so maybe they should spend our money differently?

I think the effort made by John Collins on this site has been much more relevant and far more appreciated. In the short time he has been posting, we have learnt far more than we would ever do reading the acu mag!

I suggest, save the money and keep John going with a good cuppa by a warm fire and a laptop (and the odd Tunnock's Caramel wafer) :D

I think that it is important that every rider who enters an ACU event has been given access to the rules which apply to the discipline and also the rules of the ACU (the sporting code.)

If we then choose to throw it in the bin then that's our choice; the fact still remains that the ACU have made a reasonable effort to inform each of us as to the rules we must follow.

But, whilst I applaud the ACU for trying to give out information in the magazine, I personally feel that it is a waste of time and would happily choose not to recieve it. Sorry, I hate to be negative but that's how it is.