Trials jackets

jakentrials

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheapskate i am, went to TK MAX today, regatta jacket in red and grey (beta colours) windproof , waterproof and breathable, nice and thin with zippable vents and a couple of decent "hidden" pockets. almost the same as a trials "branded" jacket, all for

I've been wearing a Paramo jacket which in my opinion beats gortex hands down. I actually sell these things and i could go on and on about the technical differences between their material and goretex, essentially it comes across to the wearer as being a load more breathable and more durable.

It works using directional wicking rather than a barrier method. The advantage of this is that it actively moves liquid from the inside of the jacket to the outside as opposed to goretex that will only move moisture vapour. Also gortex requires a pressure differential to push vapour out - ie. it must be zipped up to work and it doesn't work in humid conditions. The Paramo stuff just wicks from inside to out regardless of weather conditions.

Waterproofing is undeniably good and the things are lifetime guaranteed.

The waterproofing works in such a way that you could literally stick 500 pins in the jacket, remove them, take it outside and it would still be 100% waterproof. The advantage of this is when you fall in that gorse bush you just sew it back together and its all waterproof again! Paramo even offer a very reasonably priced repair service for changing entire panels. This is the reason lots of mountain rescue teams use them.

This is the smock i wear in black - Paramo - Velez Smock

This isn't supposed to be an advert but if anyone from this forum is interested PM me and I'll see if I can sort out some discount.

I am amazed that choice of trials jacket can create so much interest. No wonder they cost so much if everyone's bothered about what they look like. I've had my Barbour International jacket and trousers for about 18 years, doesn't let water in, lets sweat out, doesn't rip when I fall in the hawthorns and I can wear it walking down the street without looking like a tool. Anyone who lives near Tyneside can go to the factory shop and get a bargin that will last a life time.

I've had my Barbour International jacket and trousers for about 18 years

At the risk of keeping this thread going...

I rather fancied a Barbour again, but when I looked at this Barbour Prices... linky [and this is without the lining...]

18 years is a long time. I've had mine for over 35 years, but it shrunk in the magic wardrobe... :rolleyes:

Seem a bit pricey. Can't be much cheaper at the factory shop?

Peter

• 11 months later...

OK, this thread put me in memory lane mode and I went to look for a Belstaff Trialmaster like wot I had years ago. Jings, crivens, help ma Bob !

Even second hand ones on Flea-bay are fetching more than the National debt of somewhere that owes lots of money! These things make Barbour look cheap !

Anyhooz, before you all go looking, has anyone got an old Belstaff they don't want?

GJ ;)

I can't stress this enough, forget the trials jackets, buy a MTB jacket! They are waterproof, breathable, cheaper, more features (arm vents/removable arms/better pockets etc), better protection around the bum.... The list goes on! Try Wiggle or Chain Reaction, both offer free delivery. Whilst there, buy MTB gloves too, they last much longer than trials gloves, they're warmer and cheaper!

Yeah totally agree. I had a pair of jitsie gloves which looked good but split! I now use troy lee, 661 or race face now. they're cheaper, better designed for riding in mind. hebo and jitsie are fine if your a pro riding indoor, but when your out in the cold on a moorside wheres the terry cloth to wipe your nose!!!!!

also use a fox mtb jacket and it has taken some right scrapes but still keeps going!

;):o