Before And After Photos Of My Modified '76 Ty175

gig755

Hello,

I bought this bike about a year ago to ride in Trials competition. Instead of just restoring it back to original condition, I wanted something that looked a little different, and this is my end result. I haven't touched the wheels yet, but I think I'm going to polish the hubs, anodize the rims black, and lace them up with stainless spokes and nipples.

Gary

Additional photos can be found here:

http://www.trialscen...um/71-76-ty175/

gallery_15364_71_139148.jpg

gallery_15364_71_106688.jpg

gallery_15364_71_7094.jpg

gallery_15364_71_17733.jpg

gallery_15364_71_64370.jpg

gallery_15364_71_105883.jpg

gallery_15364_71_107939.jpg

gallery_15364_71_44561.jpg

gallery_15364_71_33026.jpg

gallery_15364_71_128947.jpg

• Like 3

I bought this bike about a year ago to ride in Trials competition. Instead of just restoring it back to original condition, I wanted something that looked a little different"

I've seen a TY not too long ago on the web ( it might have been at www.thetwinshockshop.co.uk ) that had black rims. Makes the bike look much more modern. Cutting the rear frame loop off was a mod that quite few Hondas had in the '80s too. Lay-down shock looks good but suspect that you might end up needing to brace the frame around the upper mount. Nice to see 'something a little different' other than restoring it back to original condition.

Edited by ross brown

Very nice, are the photos before & after or 2 different bikes

I notice you are running a boost bottle, what is the manifold off?

How much did you lengthen the swingarm by?

When you do the rims it would be a good idea to replace the rear with a tubeless rim, better range of tyres that way

Dayton,Oh trials this weekend,http://www.trialsinc...gger=sch2&ID=33 bring her over and ride vintage class,we need some more vintage riders. Then Newark,Oh is labor day weekend,then Stoney Lonesome Sept 15th,16th. Vintage bikes ride Novice line.(Your free to ride any class you want though)

BTW,My Oko drives me crazy,works great in my back yard,if I take her out anywhere away from home she floods over,cleaned multiple times,replaced filter repeatedly,lowered float level,ready to source a new Dellorto for my Fantic :wall: (Does run great when not flooding)

Edited by htrdoug

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my new ride.

Nice nice bit of work. I like the ty80 tank and the yz side case. How is it to start with the cut down kicker?

The tank is actually from a '74 Honda XL70 (I hope that Gremlins don't get me for putting Honda parts on my Yamaha). I had to move both the front and rear mounts on the frame to get it to fit. I really like the looks of it, so it was worth the extra work.

f4b9c5ed.jpg

1d17dc24.jpg

517376a0.jpg

0467c2d4.jpg

The bike has a B&J Racing electronic ignition on it, and it starts really easy, so the shorter kicker is no problem. I still have to lift the footpeg up to get it to kick all the way through. Since it's shorter, it's less likely to bend like the original one did. The lower half is the original TY, and the upper half is from a '91 Yamaha WR200. The detent ball and spring was in a different location on the WR kicker than on the TY kicker, so to get it to work, I had to drill another pocket in the TY lower half for the ball to detent in to.

e3e87994.jpg

7b8e70ee.jpg

Gary

Very nice, are the photos before & after or 2 different bikes

I notice you are running a boost bottle, what is the manifold off?

How much did you lengthen the swingarm by?

When you do the rims it would be a good idea to replace the rear with a tubeless rim, better range of tyres that way

These are before and after photos of the same bike.

I extended the swingarm by 50mm.

The manifold is from a Yamaha RD350. The bolt hole pattern is the same, but the RD manifold has a couple of "ears" that have to be trimmed off before it will bolt up against the TY reed cage.

4898c924.jpg

Gary

Edited by gig755

i like it, i was trying to get a ty80 tank for mine , but that is a good alternative

like the colour scheme, how about black hubs and polished rims and spokes

you could also paint the yokes and the forks yellow to follow the look through

how does it ride with the shocks laid like that, i modded a ty frame but didnt lean them that much