What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?

shipdamite

Squid, I hope you don't have to use it again either!!! I can imagine both you & the checker had a good case of "Big Eyes & Soiled Shorts" at that moment in time, huh? :blush: It is nice to hear it did what it's supposed to do!

I got mine (the mag kill switch) from Jack's Cycle in Maine. http://www.jackscycles.com/ That's where I got the deal on the muffler, and would've gotten a great deal on the airbox had I not repaired mine. Stu Preston owns that business, is a very good rider, has always given spot-on advice & help, & has been wonderful to deal with for anything I've needed, whether it be from Gas Gas, or aftermarket. Sadly, I think he's also kicking my butt at our personal weight loss challenge..... Anyway, the kill switch works fine. Stu told me those guys like to take the magnets & "hide" them from the riders of bikes that own them. Just another thing to keep us amused, huh Zippy?

I also got the adjustable throttle thing from him, but I'm on the fence about whether I like it or not. It does what it's supposed to do: Limits the amount of throttle rotation, and hence, power. But it feels "different" from what I've been used to, as far as my old stock Domino feels. Like it has an off idle "catch" in it that keeps me from being less smooth than I normally am with the throttle. I didn't seem to be able to get full throttle when I had it adjusted to allow that, which might possibly be problematic sometime. I may need to attack something with some fine sandpaper or a file.......

Jimmie

A couple of weeks ago, my son had a slight mishap on my Gasser while learning the finer points of wheelies:

GasGasCarnage2_zps1d8a990d.png

I got a new midbox/silencer & some miscellaneous parts. Repaired the airbox & fender. Have a new throttle, and a new Leonelli kill button with the magnetic lanyard deal. Also should have a V-Mar Racing carb adapter coming as well, but that really has nothing to do with crash damage. This is what my poor bike looks like now:

GasGas01_zpsf43f05ae.png

Since I was going to have to "sacrifice" the stock graphics to patch up the airbox & fender, I decided to just take them all off the bike altogether. Will look at S3 or Jitsie graphics kits in the future, but I believe S3 is the only place making them for my old bike that I can get here in the States.

I patched up the airbox & fender with a cheap plastic welding kit. On the airbox, I also used some zip-ties & silicone seal as extra insurance. The fender came out horrible (the airbox won't win any prizes either, I'm thinking.... :hyper: ). I reinforced it with stainless steel screen material, and attempted to fill in the stock holes. I'm just using tiny little zip-ties and the one bolt up front to hold the ugly fender on for the time being.

GasGas02_zps70cd6b93.png

I know the bike looks pretty ugly, especially compared to how it did when I first bought it. But I'm able to ride again, and that means a lot to me. :banana::bouncy:

Everything held up well for the ride I did yesterday, so I guess my repairs are successful, so far..... The exhaust has a black spark arrestor on the end of it (from a John Deere Gator; way cheaper than what you can buy from some trials shops here....) that I needed to ride in National Forest yesterday.....

Oh yeah, about the throttle: It has a feature that allows me to adjust a stop for the throttle tube, that prevents the throttle from fully opening. You can adjust how far it will open, sorta like what the old YZ minibikes had. This feature will be used when ANY new rider, or my son, rides this bike in the future.....

Jimmie

no graphics on my gasser either; looks better in my opinion. I use the leonelli too, but I found that the stretchy lanyard was toooooo stretchy and would just eventually ping off and trash my knuckles, so I made up a non stretchy one using a nylon camera case strap............ this way it cuts out as soon as I chuck the bike away.

Ya know, I recall seeing those pics before, Andrew, and thinking how I liked that look your bike has. You're obviously a trendsetter, Sir! :icon_salut::thumbup:

Again, personally, I can live just fine without the graphics. As far as I'm concerned, it's around $125 (approximately 80 pounds, if I'm converting correctly....) that I could spend on fuel to go riding, or more bike parts, or beer, or whatever....... I won't criticize anyone for going bonkers over graphics; it's their way of making them happy. Just a matter of finances & priorities, I reckon.....

Jimmie

Ya know, I recall seeing those pics before, Andrew, and thinking how I liked that look your bike has. You're obviously a trendsetter, Sir! :icon_salut::thumbup:

Again, personally, I can live just fine without the graphics. As far as I'm concerned, it's around $125 (approximately 80 pounds, if I'm converting correctly....) that I could spend on fuel to go riding, or more bike parts, or beer, or whatever....... I won't criticize anyone for going bonkers over graphics; it's their way of making them happy. Just a matter of finances & priorities, I reckon.....

Jimmie

Thanks Jimmie. I'm with you on this ................. all of my bikes are without graphics! firstly, they get trashed through riding and cleaning and it seems sort of perverse to be paying for new graphics to advertise the manufacturer ......... the graphics can also date the bike as manufacturers seem to change them almost every year............. my 2008 road bike for instance looks a bit more 'stealth' without the graphics.

Jimmie

When you do get a new rear fender replace the metal bolts with vinyl ones...they wil break before the fender..i had vinyl ones in when i tested by kill switch lanyard..the vinyl bolts snapped and the fender just flipped through the air..Gathered up the fender, tucked it in the back of my pants and finished the loop..

• Like 1

Thanks for the good Advice, Squid! :thumbup::icon_salut:

Maybe some can learn from my mistakes..... On my 2010, the rear fender is held in place by a molded in lip that slips over the rear end of the airbox. It's further held in place by a stainless steel round head allen bolt/washer combo at the front most part of the rear fender (bolts into a thread insert the airbox, I believe), and had 2 plastic trim panel fasteners towards the outside of the fender, that went through factory holes in the airbox. Well the 2 trim fasteners kept breaking when I'd crash (I've stated before that I spend a little time picking my bike up now & then..... Just to stay in shape.... :shutup: ). So, per the advice of a well meaning friend, I replaced those trim fasteners with Zippy-Ties. At that point, the molded lip under the fender (hooks on the back end of the airbox) had almost completely split off. So I drilled a couple more holes, and added more Zippy-Ties. And that was probably part of the problem that caused a lot of my airbox damage when my son crashed my bike.....

I used too thick/strong of Zippy-Ties, and then too many of them. There rear fender really couldn't move much during a crash, without ripping the airbox up with my not-so-well-thought out modifications. :( Those trim panel fasteners are probably meant to be used as a sort of "fuse" in the fender/airbox circuit. I'm fairly certainthat those fasteners are supposed to either pull out, or break in the event of a crash, so the fender & airbox don't.

Now, I'm using really small Zippy-Ties in only 2 places, and that stainless allen head bolt/washer deal. In my pics above here, it sorta looks like I have another bolt/washer deal in that area, but it actually is a riviet & washer that holds on that plastic muffler guard. At any rate, I'm hoping that the next time I crash, those 2 tiny Zippy-Ties will be the "fuse" & break before the airbox does. Bigger, stronger Zippy-Ties are not what is needed in this application. Unless you like repairing airboxes, hee hee....

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron

Mr Neutron,

We here at Zippy-Ties incorporated (not a real company) are saddened to hear about the damage that occurred to your property. Although this was an unfortunate event maybe some good can come of it. We at Zippy-Ties Inc. are launching a new advertising campaign in Spring of 2014: "Our plastic binding strips are strong as Steel!" And we would like to use your story as one of the events to support our campaign. In return for using your story/photos we at Zippy-Ties Inc. are prepared to offer compensation in the form of not one but at least TWO beers. (In the event that beer is not acceptable we will offer a replacement payment of two soda pops or "Gatorade") This compensation will be paid at some future time when/if we meet you in person at an outdoor off-road amateur motorcycle event. (Again, this is not a real company, this is for entertainment purposes only)

Jimmie,

I don't know for sure if I was the " well meaning friend" but I know I have touted the use of zip-ties for holding rear fenders, on this site and in regular life. The zip-ties have always broken first for me instead of the fender/air box. I probably would have done the same as you with drilling holes and adding more zip-ties after that little lip started to come off. Maybe I have been just lucky so far, but I will remember to use/recommend small zip-ties. Even though this next statement will do nothing for your air box/fender or your time and effort in it's repair I feel I must type this: "I am sorry if my advice may have in any way had a hand in your airbox breakage." :( And the offer of 2 beers will stand if I meet you at an event or such outing.

• Like 1

No, Zippy, I'm both an advocate of, and a user of Zippy-Tie Products!! :banana2: I used to splice television cable years ago, and have seen Zip-Ties do some amazing things......

The friend I mentioned is a fellow trials riding buddy from work here in Oregon. He's helped me a lot with my trials riding. Every now & then he just forgets how dumb I actually am, and forgets to "Pull out the REALLY BIG Crayons". and explain that he meant for me to use the little Zippy-Ties to hold my fender on. But like any good, true friend, he won't forget to remind what a Dork I am when I crash! :hyper: In my bike's case, as beat up as the fender was, ripped at the stock holes, lip missing, & etc., I should have still used only 2 small Zippy-Ties. It was totally "My Bad.", and had nothing to do with your advice, Buddy! Again, I just hope that anyone else that reads this will learn from my mistake here.

And about that beer: Man, I would really love to travel & see your part of the country (Michigan). :bouncy: I'm originally from Oklahoma, but I'm certain both Oregon & Oklahoma aren't anything iike your part of the country. It looks like you guys have fun at your rides, which makes it even more appealing! :thumbup::beer: Unitl I can show up in your neighborhood, or you wander out here (the invite is out...), I'll drink a Fosters' beer for ya! It ain't the best beer around, ain't the worst, but ya git a lot of it in them big cans they come in.... :chairfall::beer::icon_salut:

Jimmie

Jimmie,

You have no idea how glad I am that you have somebody else to blame for the Zippy-Ties advice, (The friend from work) :D

It does sound like you are not too upset about it, and just trying to help others remember to use "size appropriate" Zippy-Ties. I guess it is like using Loc-Tite, Blue = tight pain in the butt to remove bolt, but it will come out .... eventually, Red = never gonna get that $%^&&* ing bolt out, might as well have welded that %$%^^%$ ing thing.

If I ever get to have the time and $$ for a trip out that way I will take you up on the offer of beer and riding (riding was implied/assumed). You are welcome to join us at any of the MOTA events we have. (there is a 2 day in Indiana, would be a little closer :D )

About the :beer: I understand the reasoning for Foster's Large can = more beer. I use a similiar method of purchase. Miller Genuine Draft 20 pack bottles, just a hair more $$ than the 12 pack. I get more beer cheaper and I get to have the feeling of holding and lifting multiple bottles.

But my ALL TIME FAVORITE BEER IS: ................... FREE!!! :irish:

OK back to doing stuff to GasGas bikes.

• 4 weeks later...

After a Montesa 315R and a 4RT I'll soon will be the proud owner of a 2012 TXT Pro Racing 280. I just want to see for myself how much those light and nimble bikes make a difference in competition.

I know, a 280 can be a handfull, but is was an offer I couldn't refuse. :wacko:

A slow throttle is the first thing on my wish list :ph34r:

After a Montesa 315R and a 4RT I'll soon will be the proud owner of a 2012 TXT Pro Racing 280. I just want to see for myself how much those light and nimble bikes make a difference in competition.

I know, a 280 can be a handfull, but is was an offer I couldn't refuse. :wacko:

A slow throttle is the first thing on my wish list :ph34r:

That will give you a couple of suprises. Firstly how much controlable grunt there is in 3rd gear and secondly how rapid the second world war fighter plane throttle response catapults you over or straight through things.Great fun .
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...