What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?

shipdamite

• 5 weeks later...

cleaned the bike to get it dirty again at a trial tomorrow.

the deep clean included cleaning the brakes up, cleaning the chain, changing the oil, changing the coolant and checking everything over.

I have a new 2t enduro bike which I have lockwired the throttle cable at both ends to prevent stuck throttle trauma, so i did this to the gas gas too.

google earth tells me that the trial tomorrow is in a load of chalk.

slimetastic

:-]

• Like 2

In a load of "chalk"??? :blink: Hmmm. One of my favorite fishing writers, Roderick Haig-Brown, a Brit, used to write about fishing in "chalk streams"..... Never understood that either.... At any rate, I hope you can find traction & do well tomorrrow, Andrew!

On my bike, I fixed a flat on the front wheel today, and greased my steering head bearings. Those tasks went really well. Then, in a fit of stupidity I suppose, I pushed my luck & tried changing the fork oil. I now have no damping whatsoever. :wacko: Forks bottom out & top out easily, and behave as if there is no hydraulic restriction at all. Did some reading here, and determined I probably need to pull the cartridge & fill it. Sometimes I can't believe how I can take a simple thing I've done easily enough on other bikes, and totally screw it up.....

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron

In a load of "chalk"??? :blink: Hmmm. One of my favorite fishing writers, Roderick Haig-Brown, a Brit, used to write about fishing in "chalk streams"..... Never understood that either.... At any rate, I hope you can find traction & do well tomorrrow, Andrew!

On my bike, I fixed a flat on the front wheel today, and greased my steering head bearings. Those tasks went really well. Then, in a fit of stupidity I suppose, I pushed my luck & tried changing the fork oil. I now have no damping whatsoever. :wacko: Forks bottom out & top out easily, and behave as if there is no hydraulic restriction at all. Did some reading here, and determined I probably need to pull the cartridge & fill it. Sometimes I can't believe how I can take a simple thing I've done easily enough on other bikes, and totally screw it up.....

Jimmie

It's not your fault, I've got the same problem. It shouldn't be so difficult to change fork oil, bad design i m o

• Like 1

Thanks, Guys.

Granted, when they work, they do a fine job, but I've still came up with a couple of reasons "not-to-like" the Marzocchi forks right now.... I have a broken rebound adjuster on these forks. It broke the very first time I tried to turn it, after having the bike for only a day or two. I'm told I need to buy the entire cartridge to fix this deal. Now, with the cartridge needing removed/filled/primed, it makes me leery of even putting a wrench on the goofy thing.......

What brand of forks does your Monty have, out of curiosity? And they have the same sorta deal? Amazing....

Jimmie

No, I also have a GasGas. But replace the entire cartridge? That's ridiculous, the adjuster is a simple aluminium tube with an o-ring at the end. Maybe you can find a second hand one from that guy that breaks up trial bikes for parts...

Today I discovered why the front brake lever clicked occasionally - a very mangled circlip fell out.

I also replaced the front caliper as someone had butchered two pistons jamming them in the old one.

You've got to love previous owners bodges to brakes.

• Like 1

Jimmie

Hi Jimmie

I underestimated the terrain; chalk and clay rendered wheels inoperable! it was so slick, sticky and plactic that everything jammed up, my wheels turned to near solid saucers and my boots turned to platforms. so, after the first section (0) everything wents tits up pretty quickly .......... didnt even finish the 1st lap - my riding comrades and I stopped and retired. took an hour to blast the stuff off the bike before it set.

I hope that you got the forks sorted out in the end.

cheers

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Ship ,how's it going ?

Well not rode since the start of the second week of October due to being stuck at work through bad weather.

Got off last Saturday afternoon only to endure a 15&1/2 hour boat journey in 25 foot waves .Sick as a salty sea dog .

Now stripped GasGas down and removing a partially dis assembled motor from the frame .

Bore Good.

Piston and rings good

Little end,slight play,

Big end no play or noise,

Mains no play but starting to make noise,

When you consider it's almost 14 years old and there's no evidence what so ever of prior dis assembly ,

that's bloody good!

Photo's to follow.

Ted

• Like 1

cleaned the bike to get it dirty again at a trial tomorrow.

the deep clean included cleaning the brakes up, cleaning the chain, changing the oil, changing the coolant and checking everything over.

I have a new 2t enduro bike which I have lockwired the throttle cable at both ends to prevent stuck throttle trauma, so i did this to the gas gas too.

google earth tells me that the trial tomorrow is in a load of chalk.

slimetastic

:-]

Do you have the Domino throttle? Most people say to NOT safety wire the cable to the grip end.

They are designed so that in the (rare?) case that a rider comes off the bike and it lands on the throttle end, you can simply grab the cable and yank it out of the housing. The cap flies off, the pivot wheel may fall out but when you let go, it allows the cable to go slack so the carb slide can go back to idle before the motor goes "boom."

You might want to reconsider the safety wire. I know I did after someone smarter than me explained this.

• Like 2

Well not rode since the start of the second week of October due to being stuck at work through bad weather.

Got off last Saturday afternoon only to endure a 15&1/2 hour boat journey in 25 foot waves .Sick as a salty sea dog .

Now stripped GasGas down and removing a partially dis assembled motor from the frame .

Bore Good.

Piston and rings good

Little end,slight play,

When you consider it's almost 14 years old and there's no evidence what so ever of prior dis assembly ,

that's bloody good!

Photo's to follow.

Ted

You would be lucky to find that in a 14 year old Beta, from what i have heard.

TLTEL

• Like 1

Do you have the Domino throttle? Most people say to NOT safety wire the cable to the grip end.

They are designed so that in the (rare?) case that a rider comes off the bike and it lands on the throttle end, you can simply grab the cable and yank it out of the housing. The cap flies off, the pivot wheel may fall out but when you let go, it allows the cable to go slack so the carb slide can go back to idle before the motor goes "boom."

You might want to reconsider the safety wire. I know I did after someone smarter than me explained this.

Thank you; no more lockwire to the throttle! it is the domino one you describe (where as the domino on my endure bike has the screw down cover) I have left the carb end lockwired though.

to try and prevent throttle jamming if dropped, I have cut the end of the grip and slid the throttle onto bar so you can see 5mm of bar end. I have then used a washer - slightly larger diameter than the throttle and grip - then made a bar end stop of bolt, washer, rubber tube then a nut so when inserted into bar end and tightened, the nut winds up then expands the rubber tube against the inside of the bar end .......... its worked so far!

Edited by shipdamite

Bore Good.

Piston and rings good

Little end,slight play,

that's bloody good!

Photo's to follow.

Ted

Hi Ted - sooner you than me with that boat ride! pleased to read that the motor is in good shape ...... i'll keep feeding mine nice oil and keep my fingers crossed ....................

Just got back to work . Delay with flight out of the shetlands after take off.The chopper had a malfunction.

Interesting to see that the main bearings on the bike are Koyo.Thought they might have been european.Another glimse and they're made in the UK!

Will put pictures up tomorrow night . Sending the case's to Triple S in Bingley for painting and the crank is off to Grampian motors for new pin,big end and rod.

So today i have a GasGas Question , if you had the cash would you buy a 2014 bike,new.One you've seen for sale ,a 2012 model or a 2010 that needs a little TLC. Think before you answer lad's and lasses. Iv'e put the idea of a Beta out of my head . The main reason ,pathetic i know ,but why am i seeing plenty of 2013 Betas for sale in mint condition and no 2013 Gassers and Lampkin jumped ship from Beta to GasGas .

Oh Yes MERRY CHRISTMAS to the lot of you wether you like it or not and i hope you stay in good health!

A really Christmasy Shyted

Edited by shyted