Repsol Montesa Or 250 Factory Beta New Bike Purchase

helicoptermanr22

The standard 260 4RT is a cracking bike, Brilliant suspension too. The Repsol version is not worth the extra money when the standard one is so good.

I think the Standard 260 is an awesome bike and if the price is right I would defo look at another one, Just want to see what the 250 factory is like in Feb

Unless you don`t hop much.

Or possibly if you cant hop very well or not at all? I've never had any problems hopping the 4rt about neither have my friends, and would even say I can hop it better than my last bike, a 290 Sherco.

Edited by the addict

From watching a few local trials some guys can hope a 4rt and make it look easy, they can grip in mud too- you've just got to be good enough to know how. I had a go on a mates beta 4 stroke today and I must say the engine braking is a nice feature down hills.

At any rate, let us know which one you go for in the end :)

Edited by hrmad
  • Like 1

We have both the bikes you are looking at getting.

We both rode the Beta for 2 months or so and if I'm honest I was disappointed at the quality of some of the ally casting, as in, some core shift in the oil filter housing. Love the bike and the way it handles. The quality of fasteners is not near the Honda either IMHO. Just as an example the Beta plastics are held on by frilling and tapping the frame and it may wear over time. The Monty uses brackets and if wear just replace bracket. They also use nutcerts in places where Beta just taps the ally. No biggie really just a fraction better in the execution.

When I decided on the Montesa it was because of the Honda motor. That and good reports in here. I'm used to the Monty now as its different to ride... I dont think any better or worse at my skill level, just different. Even the different tyres Dunnys verses Micheys.... the mickeys bag more in the wall but the Dunnys has a softer tread area so they both grip really well for my type of riding... mostly dry with the odd wet creek bed.

If I had to buy another and it was between those two... we'd have two Montys and the Beta would go if I had my way. I've offered my wife a repsol or standard Monty and she says no thanks. She is used to the Beta and it does more than she can... so why move it.

So we will have one of each for the foreseeable future...

Mags

The standard 260 4RT is a cracking bike, Brilliant suspension too. The Repsol version is not worth the extra money when the standard one is so good.

... and the Standard machine is 0.5kg lighter than the repsol?! Its like buying a Raga Gas Gas and getting to a trial and finding out its heavier than the Standard Pro...

With the £1500ish saving you could also add a titainium exhaust system, bolt kit & some X-Lites and its even lighter for the the same money!

If you put fork protectors on your standard 4rt, which most of us do, which are standard on the Race Replica, you've almost lost your 0.5kg advantage.

I bought the Race Replica mainly for the awesome Showa suspension and together with the carbon parts, high grade wheels and its looks, it was worth the extra euros.

And it has lost that additional 0.5kg on other places ( titanium header pipe, light home-made aluminium electra support, light home-made aluminium fuel tank base (under construction) etc...)

Not to mention the additional resale value of the Race Replica.

Edited by guys
  • Like 1

I had a chance at Race Replica for 2015 but will stay with standard til 2016 at least. Even offered it again to my wife and said "Last chance it will be sold as fast as lightning". "Happy with Beta for now", she replied.

She desperately wants a Ducati 821 so the money I saved is still not safe.... Hehehehehehe

Mags

I really liked the standard 4RT 2014. it was unjustifiable at the time to keep.. Done alot of thinking in the last week and still the same conclusion.. and the same bikes. the factory 250 should be released soon so waiting on that and a decision will be made..

In terms of actual weight.. has anyone put one on the scales??

I know it makes so little difference but would be interested to know... I put my 2014 beta on the bathroom scales and it was 69kgs .. which is more than i thought

The 4rt supposed to weigh in at 73kgs but does it??

I was only chatting to my brother about this on the weekend, I find it hard to believe the 4rt is only a handful of kgs heavier than say the Beta or Gasser. I lift Gerty and a Beta into the back of my van some weekends and I'd not be surprised if the weight difference was actually nearer 20kgs.

I never get concerned with the bikes weight as its possibly what makes it feel so stable and planted, my 07 Cabby was way to light for me, felt like a push bike and seemed to go wherever it felt like on an open throttle.

I was only chatting to my brother about this on the weekend, I find it hard to believe the 4rt is only a handful of kgs heavier than say the Beta or Gasser. I lift Gerty and a Beta into the back of my van some weekends and I'd not be surprised if the weight difference was actually nearer 20kgs.

I never get concerned with the bikes weight as its possibly what makes it feel so stable and planted, my 07 Cabby was way to light for me, felt like a push bike and seemed to go wherever it felt like on an open throttle.

You must be kidding, right?

I once put my previous 2008 4RT, which had some lighter parts on it, and the 2012 GasGas I had last year on the scales and the difference was about 8kg.

Edited by guys
  • Like 1