What Have Been The Biggest Changes In Bikes Over The Last 20 Years?!?

smokey125

Having not ridden regularly in trials for the past 20 years I was wondering what people’s thoughts are on when and what the biggest changes in bike design/technology have been? I continued to follow the sport so I’ve seen the bikes change but having not ridden them I have no idea of what impact these changes have actually made to the way the bikes ride. During one of my odd rides a few years ago I was talking to the dad of one of the guys I started riding with and he commented about how much better the bikes were, easier to ride and easier to do more on.

I’ve read a lot of the posts on here about which bikes of various ages is best etc which are very interesting but I was wondering if there have been any step changes in the last 20 years. Has suspension technology suddenly jumped forward or has it been a gradual improvement. I notice everything runs 4 pot brakes now are they a lot better than the older 2 pot ones? Based on the main advantages of bigger brakes in road racing I struggle to see where they are of benefit in trials! Have there been any big changes in makes/models, where they got smaller, lighter or easier to ride?

I know these are almost unanswerable questions but I thought I would ask anyway! 

• Like 1

I realise they have got a lot better over the years. What I was really think about was years ago the lightweight Spanish bikes were a massive change, more recently we’ve had the mono, which also saw the start of disc brakes, then water cooled with hydraulic clutches.

Has there been anything like that over recent years? For example Beta went from the Zero, to the Techno, Rev 3 and now EVO. Looking at them they are obviously different. GasGas the engines appear to be largely the same from the first water cooled bikes through to early, mid 2000’s but there were a series of what look like relatively small frame mods.

Was there anything where one make suddenly moved the goal posts and everyone else followed or was it just all of them making small improvements year on year?  

micm, I might bump into you in the next few months. I was thinking of joining Normandy or Hookwood club. 

I realise they have got a lot better over the years. What I was really think about was years ago the lightweight Spanish bikes were a massive change, more recently we’ve had the mono, which also saw the start of disc brakes, then water cooled with hydraulic clutches.

Has there been anything like that over recent years? For example Beta went from the Zero, to the Techno, Rev 3 and now EVO. Looking at them they are obviously different. GasGas the engines appear to be largely the same from the first water cooled bikes through to early, mid 2000’s but there were a series of what look like relatively small frame mods.

Was there anything where one make suddenly moved the goal posts and everyone else followed or was it just all of them making small improvements year on year?  

micm, I might bump into you in the next few months. I was thinking of joining Normandy or Hookwood club. 

The gassers have had similar engines since late 02 with the first pro models but with slight changes every year, cant improve on perfection lol

• Like 1

From like before 1995 or a bit earlier even:

Suspension is 1000x better,

Weight lower,

Power

Better tyres?

Clutcher are more usable

Good liquid cooling with fan

Excelent brakes

From around 2000ish:

Reliability less

Less weight

Engine much more powerfull, and other character.

Cluch very precise, but also easily affected and wrong

easier to stall the bike

I think, as a GG owner, the PRO model (2002) was quite revolutionairy, and is comparable to other makes right now. Gas gas engines nowadays are bassically the same with some minor changes, it still works competitive.

The models before from 1996/1997 and especially the editions from 2000/2001 where very reliable and great bikes for novice riders up to experts.

Edited by crazybond700

you said past 20 years, so that is since the Beta Techno and Yamaha TY250Z era

Since those bikes

Bike mass progressively reduced (approx 15 kg difference to 1995)

I think that four pot front brakes in about 2000 was the biggest "step change" in performance.

Suspension technology progressively improved - a big difference from 1995, but not a step change

Engine response has become progressively faster, not a step change

Step change in ease of significantly changing the motor performance characteristics by the owner with introduction of programmable fuel injection with 4RT in 2005

Same for engine ignition map change via handlebar switch being a step change, but probably not important for 99% of riders

Probably 1 of the last big steps occurred when Sherco entered the market in 99 with a significantly smaller/narrower motor than anything else available, compare the size of 1 with the same age gas gas or montesa & the difference is quite noticeable