Anti Lock Brakes

2stroke4stroke

I was at my FLD looking at the new Bonnie and said dealer mentioned that, as of next year, all motorcycles must have anti lock braking. A quick Google seemed to confirm this.

Can anyone in manufacture/import say how this will affect the ability to register a trials bike or will the SSDT become "used bikes only"? Is the ACU aware of this one?

http://www.mag-uk.org/en/campaignsdetail/a7059

See the above link, ABS is quite a way down but the rest is well worth a read.

More pointless EU regulation. Studies show in many accidents the motorcyclist does not apply the brakes, usually when they are applied they are not applied hard enough to lock the wheels or activate ABS. In most motorcycle accidents the difference in retardation rates between ABS and non ABS have have a negligible influence on the outcome.

"As I read it it appears trial and enduro machines are exempt from the abs directive. Or am I misreading it?"

The quoted article seems to date from 2012. Other, later, documents refer to the EU Commission voting in 2013 to mandate ABS for "all' powered two wheelers over 125cc from 2017 onwards, so exemption for trials/enduro bikes seems unclear.

Edited by cleanorbust
  • Like 1

I'm glad I'm not a youngster growing up in this day and age......... bloody ridiculous rules.

I was talking to a mate's lad the other day and he was on about having his Throttle Position Sensor reset..... a throttle position sensor is a bloody wrist as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Trials bikes are exempt from ABS.  The new regulation is Reg 168/2013 as ammended by 134/2014 and under Annex VIII...it confirms that L3e-A1T, L3e-A2T and L3e-A3T motorcycles are exempt from the mandatory fitment of ABS...L3e-A1T, L3e-A2T and L3e-A3T all relate to trials bikes.

FYI - this also applies to enduro bikes as well.

Edited by mattv6
  • Like 1

I'm glad I'm not a youngster growing up in this day and age......... bloody ridiculous rules.

I was talking to a mate's lad the other day and he was on about having his Throttle Position Sensor reset..... a throttle position sensor is a bloody wrist as far as I'm concerned.

My 18 year old YZ has one of them. Uses a 3d map to advance the ignition depending on load. Not entirely sure how your wrist would do that.