Trials World

bdmc

I'm saddened by the demise of Trialsworld, but it's a tough one to call. Being honest, I initially felt they shafted TBM. TBM came up with the idea and those who've been around a while will remember Trials Central positively supported them and vice versa. The carpet was ripped from under their feet so I can totally understand the TBM readers "told you so" attitude.

However, in saying that, Johnston Press were very well positioned to promote the sport and had more funds than the smaller players in the market. No, I didn't subscribe to it personally - I get enough of Trials as it is, but then I guess that makes me as guilty as everyone else who didn't subscribe for not supporting it.

As for pandering to factories/importers - that's so easy for Joe Rider to sit at home and comment on. On this side of the fence it's not as straightforward. I got a cheque from Shirty yesterday towards the running costs of this site. He (and the other sponsors of this site) are the guys that keep this site free for you. Without their support the only alternative would be to charge a subscription. This site runs at a loss, but it's a hobby and every hobby costs so I'll take some hit. My costs keep rising and the one thing I'm not prepared to do is upset my sponsors in any way. Simple fact - I look after those who look after me and this site - I couldn't afford to run it without their support.

If you, as Trials Central users, tell me you're prepared to subscribe to this site to cover the costs (I won't hold my breath :D ) that are currently covered by our sponsors then I'll revisit the situation. It's simple economics

My major concern over the death of Trialsworld is the 2006 UK World Round. It needs a major sponsor to be viable. Who else can afford it?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought there were some damn well written articles in TWM, this months has some interesting interviews with Legeune and the boss of Montesa. The format was also excellent. Lets hope some of this will transfer across to T&MX. I wonder if Trail Bike Magazine will now go and publish a YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE.

I think that T&MX should publish an annual YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE, reviewing the previous years WTC, British Championships. People might be a bit more inclined to purchase a one off annual.

There was some very good stuff in Trialsworld, the stuff that John Hulme has the old Brochures were interesting. The features on all the Young lads coming through and the WTC reports fitted nicely in there. It wasn't perfect but perhaps if they hadn't sponsored the Hawkstone round it might have lasted longer? An annual thing would be great but the last thing I would want to buy would be a TMX annual which is happening I think.

The American version of TNX produces one and its very good, a bit like a coffee table magazine with an annual review and top quality pictures.

I really don't think that the "poncing" to importers is an issue as far as TMX is concerned as we all know it happens, but they could try to be a little more revealing just little by little and in 3 or 4 years time we would be able to say, good test that. However it is so subjective as I thought one of the bikes at the BVM test day was not that good and r2w thought it great so you have to be careful. He was wrong of course.

Edited by Nigel Dabster

Maybe this means less dilution of the trials coverage in MX news, sorry that's TMX.

I can't help thinking that a lot of stuff has been held back recently to put in Trialsworld.

At least through Andy's fine efforts we don't have to rely on paper copy to be kept up to date !

I've said this on more than one occasion on here and I'm going to say it again: I think that TrialsWorld is (was) a missed opportunity to produce a magazine that defines the sport. While it has been sporadically good, there's been far, far too much padding, the articles consist of just a few paragraphs shoehorned around huge photos (the photos are nice, it's just that I prefer at least some substance) and even the couple of Dougie "masterclass" features were a let-down. Loads of photos but no real explaination of what was going on from the rider's perspective. Finally, TrialsWorld continued TMX's anachronistic tradition of self-serving and worthless bike reviews.

This is just my opinion of couse, but I know for a fact that I'm not the only person who feels like this and it makes me angry that one of the main reasons TrialsWorld was rushed into publication was to shaft TBM who I'm convinced would have done a far superior job of promoting the sport (not to mention the fact that they're known for not pulling any punches in product reviews.)

I seriously suspect that the real reason for TrialsWorld's demise is the fact that after the initial few issues, people realised that it was really pretty poor and simply stopped buying it. It's sad 'cos trials needs its own dedicated mag but as long as TMX has such a stranglehold on the off-road market it's not going to happen.

Flame away, boys....

But surely neonsurge, any trials read is better than none ?

I s'pose you're right but it's just that TW should've and could've been so much more. I don't think it was completely crap, just disappointing.

TW's birth was a consequence of commercial pressure and it appears to have died the same way.

As for sponsorship of the UK world round in '06, there's always TMX isn't there?

;):D

we should make a online t.c mag. that people could subscibe to, making more money for sponsership of young riders  :D

That's kinda what Andy was talking about here but how many people would subscribe and in any case, unless you've got a laptop and wireless connection, it's kinda difficult to read TC while sat on the bog or in the van on the way to a trial.

Sad news indeed...

Trialsworld wasn't perfect by any means but, remember, it was a work in progress and I honestly believe it was developing along the right lines.

Launching a dedicated YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE in the UK was always going to be a case of suck it and see

It seems that there simply isn't the market to make such a publication viable.

I couldn’t disagree more. I don’t buy TMX but bought Trialsworld in the hope it would have what I wanted. Everything I need to know about trials is on this site except the stuff I would really like to know... You need a magazine that is a cross between the Times and the Sun!

This sport has such a diverse level of intellect involved in it, that if its going to be one magazine, it needs to cater for us all. Trialsworld to me was more like the Sun. Lots of big pictures and weak on in-depth editorial content.

However, I can appreciate the work you guys put into it on top of your current workloads. Seems to me that they couldnt have been serious about it anyway If they didnt plan to resource it fully from the beginning :D

However, I did like the editorial on Ross and the comment from Eddy Lejeune in this month’s TWM.

Eddy on Raga : He’s a good rider but has nothing up top!!! ;)

I do hope someone else picks up the mantle and this isn’t the end of a dedicated YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE forever.