Backgrounds In Trials.

bwc352

While I was reading through my old books on trials, I came across the name of "Jacky Ickx" as one of the top world class trials riders in 1964 and 1965 (8th and 4th respectively in the 1964 and 1965 Henri Goutars Challenge). I wondered if it was the same Jacky Ickx that I watched on TV in Formula 1 and Lemans when I was a kid. A quick check of the web confirmed that it was indeed the same Jacky Ickx. So, I added yet one more name to my mental list of people in other avenues of motor sports who had at one point been involved in observed trials. Off the top of my head, the list now includes Jacky Ickx, Roger DeCoster, Jeff Ward, Juha Salminen, David Knight, and Brian Myerscough. Pretty darned impressive in my opinion. Plus, I vaguely recall reading that the list of people who have cross trained by riding a trials bike includes Ricky Carmichael and Damon Bradshaw. And didn't Jeff Smith start out in trials? I'm interested in hearing what other well known people from other avenues of motosports (or anywhere else for that matter) had or have an involvement in trials. I wonder who else should be on this list?

Edited by bwc352

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the 1950's - many of the British Road Racers used to ride Trials in the off season, which was at that time just a winter sport - names like Geoff Duke and John Hartle were often seen at our events in the Cheshire Centre. In Canada, Jordan Szoke also likes to ride trials events, when he is not Road Racing. and he has been a member of the Trials des Nations Team on at least two occasions. - the list is endless, and includes top Enduro riders like Stefan Merriman who rode World Trials on an Aprilia.

Steve Martin DFX Honda World superbike rider was Australian schoolboy trials champion. Former Superbike riders Garry McCoy, Shane "Shakey" Burn, and Chris Walker also ride trials.

Can even remember some young kid on a Bultaco years ago called Damon Hill who......I think raced cars or something. :rolleyes:

Martin

Trials seems to be such a good starting point for any 2 wheeled sport. Jonny Starmer, British Schoolboy champion a little while back came riding with us on our Downhill Mountain Bikes, turned up for a national the next weekend, kicked all our arses and promptly won it! Lots of mountainbikers have ridden trials to start with: Rob Warner, Jason Bayliss, Mark Harries, Woody Hole...

Edited by mil

Its said that Lance Armstrong bought a GasGas last year!

Just curious, Does anyone actually know whether Ricky Carmichael rides trials or just owns a trials bike?

Mike Larocco Ive heard owns and practiced trials at one point, And I met a guy last year that was riding Jeff Statons old trials bike.

Kevin Shwantz- world road race champ. Just rode a trial in the states a few weeks ago. Someone should be able to provide a link!......Ish, from the PST website.

Steve

Kevin has ridden several of our Texas trials lately, including some of our summer series, and state series events. He grew up riding trials, in the Houston area, where his family owned one of the more popular motorcycle shops, in the 70's. It is my understanding that other members of his family rode trials as well. So, it would be fare to say that he took those skills into his road racing career, as opposed to something he just started recently. He seems to be a very friendly, down to earth, guy. I rode with him in a group, at one of our events, for the better part of the day before it dawned on me who he was! At another event, he even filled my bike up for me, when I came rushing through the pits for fuel. It is always nice when somebody you admire as a "star" turns out to be a genuinely nice person.

Edited by DGShannon

Gary Havelock, ex World Champion speedway rider used to do a bit of trials. I used to knock about with him as a kid and had no idea that he'd become "quite good" in the years after I left home. I was chatting on the coach on the way to Sheffield one year with a speedway guru. I mentioned a lad I used to knock about with 'did a bit of speedway' and the speedway guru enlightened me :)

He used to have a TL125 but he definitely made the right choice staying with the speedway.