Statement Regarding Addingham Moorside

adsy

We aussie's have used addingham to train for events in the UK and Europe and intended to do so again this year, it's a World famous venue thanks to a very generous Alan, so i have just posted a letter to reflect that today. Good luck from Mike Mitch and Boyd.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I help to run the BikeTrial club that uses Addingham, TykeTrial, we've been using that venue since the club started in 1997. I also organised the World BikeTrial Championship there in 2005 with the support of Bradford council, Skipton council, Addingham and Silsden. I'll be sending off a few letters today to appropriate people.

I also run quite a few trials-related websites, so rather than have several petitions, we can link up onto one.

The focus of my letters will be based on the Lord Mayor of Bradford's speech at our world round, regarding the benefits of cycling to youth, and what a great place Addingham is for it, and the visit to our last trial of the local Police community officers who said it was a shame there weren't more places like that for the youths. To make the most of those statements, is it possible on the petition to note which signatures are cyclists and which are motorcyclists?

Also talked about in the speech was the importance of the sport on the profile and prosperity of the region that she talked about. Could that be used? ie, what do people spend in the area, food, bed & breakfast etc, how often do they use it?

Our club is meeting next week to discuss, please let us know of any ideas of anything that we can do.

Just drafting up my letter now...

Can anyone remember how many decibels the 4RT measured when it were noise tested a while back? Think T+MX featured it but I think I've chucked it out since then. I'm just thinking of making a point that the 4RT is probably the loudest trials bike but there are plenty of things we come across everyday that are louder than that.

Any info appreciated...

my letter to Mr fothergill is in the post tonight, i have also written to my MP, via the house of commons web site, to let him know why i have lent my support to this cause and to advise him there will be an increase in illegal riding if this venue closes. i live 20 miles away approx and in a different county but if MPs from lots of areas get to hear about the closure they might ask questions of the council. long shot i know but whats to lose

did we ever establish that this site has or does not have planning permission for usage ??? ie under planning law anything beyond the "general permitted development order" (aka 14/28 day rule)

AS i live in silsden and have all my life and used the nab for a lot of years this as gutted me! tonight i had a trip up and gates are locked and the letter the farmer as recieved is fixed to gate saying that the landowner must lock gates up under the 1990 town and cities planning act and any further use will lead to a magistrates court apperance for farmer!

Just a couple of mad thoughts on this ever growing threat to lots of venues. I hope it never comes to this but what if 1000's of riders bought the hillside from Mr Fothergill and let him graze his sheep FOC in perpetuity???? How would a local authority charge each unique rider for riding on his land or on his mates square metre.Any legel types care to comment?

Can some of our older members (or younger members ask their parents) cast their minds back - was Addingham used as a regular practice area/venue prior to 1963? This could be vital to any defence for the continued use of the land.

I am a big believer of - if its my land i'll do what i want!! but unfortunately this isn't the case.

The venue has been closed on a simple planning law - which is operational on any piece of land in the UK - if you don't have planning permission - and Addingham doesn't - then you are restricted to 14 days a year use - even Hawkstone Park has to obey this one or risk instant closure. The Hawkstone Park leaseholders have nightmares over illegal use costing them the venue, as it only takes one legitimate complaint to close them down, using the land illegally could lose it forever - it is a simple planning law applicable to everyone in the country.

The best way (in my opinion based on the current law) to support this cause, is for Mr Fothergill to gather as much positive encouragement, ie letters, petitions, copies of results, (positive)newspaper articles (tmx/local paper etc). Internet articles (trials central, Biketrial, trials talk etc) and forward this with an application for the correct planning permission, we could help by contributing towards the cost of an appropraite town and planning consultant to advise Mr Fothergill (and the trials community) the best way forward.