Gas Gas - Self Promotion Diatribe

4ourtea

Nice to see Shirty has lost none of his self-publicity skills with his latest piece about Gas Gas riders in the Scott!!!

Do we really need telling about all the riders on Gas Gas bikes and how they got on?

Thank God that John Lampkin, Malc Rathmell, Caroline Sandiford and Nigel Birkett don't get on the site telling us how well their riders have done every bl**dy week... there'd be no room for Mike Rapley, Jake Miller, et al to put their columns on the site and tales about 160 riders littering the site!!

We all know how good or bad the bikes are and we all know how good the riders are. If John wants to give a level view, perhaps he'd also like to tell us how many GG's blew up, boiled over, cracked their frames, etc. etc. and how many Mr. Nobody managed to struggle round.

Let the REAL reporters tell us how things went. Place adverts if you want to promote - not one-sided stories disguised as "reports".

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Self promotion diatribe ? Er hello,thats exactly what somebody who believes in his product should be doing!

Don't say that the other importers don't do it coz they do ( World domination and all that )

John Shirt is a thorough professional and has always turned his bikes out in an imaculate manner and is proud of his riders and the efforts they make.

So I say well done John Shirt also well done Nigel Birkett, Malc and Rhoda, John Boy and Caroline, but mostly well done to ALL who finished the Scott.

My special award would go to the guy on the 160 Scorpa, brilliant ! But wasn't Doug just awesome!!!!

So Shirty please feel free to carry on writing you biassed reports coz I, for one, enjoy them

Edited by mickwren

I dare say without John Shirt's support of this site and trials like the Scott, Scottish, British Championships etc none of us would have much to read about any events. I read Dabill's report and Dougies and i enjoy reading Shirty's he generally gives an insight into the hardships encountered which i find interesting.

Surely,4our Tea your attack on his contributions has not stemmed from his last post....so why did you read it?

It's called 'PROMOTION' - take the time to write an article, chuck a few p*** takes in there, plug your product, plug your sponsored riders and get FREE publicity for your business. Simple decision to make in my opinion and fair play to anyone who does it. :guinness:

I like the "Shirty's Say..." articles, yes they are all about the GasGas riders but that is to be expected! If it wasn't for Jake Miller, Shirty, Team Wigg/Danby etc. then there would be no 'inside' information at all. I notice that the youth column has been very quiet lately, last article posted was on the 22nd of August! Have they all grown up now?

Nice to see Shirty has lost none of his self-publicity skills with his latest piece about Gas Gas riders in the Scott!!!

Do we really need telling about all the riders on Gas Gas bikes and how they got on?

Thank God that John Lampkin, Malc Rathmell, Caroline Sandiford and Nigel Birkett don't get on the site telling us how well their riders have done every bl**dy week... there'd be no room for Mike Rapley, Jake Miller, et al to put their columns on the site and tales about 160 riders littering the site!!

We all know how good or bad the bikes are and we all know how good the riders are. If John wants to give a level view, perhaps he'd also like to tell us how many GG's blew up, boiled over, cracked their frames, etc. etc. and how many Mr. Nobody managed to struggle round.

Let the REAL reporters tell us how things went. Place adverts if you want to promote - not one-sided stories disguised as "reports".

First thing he said

"Saturday was the infamous Scott Trial where we had a good run of results....

Congratulations first must go to Dougie Lampkin who absolutley blitzed everyone with a fine win. "

Good on him, hope he keeps posting

Following a report from another forum user; a comment.

John Shirt is a valued contributer and advertiser with Trials Central and as others have said his insightful contributions make good reading. He PAYS to advertise on this site therefore if you don't like his style of writing or brand promotion, you don't have to read it.

Additionally other forum members have perhaps balanced the general views on what Shirty posts as news and on his advertising. If your gripe is personal then please take it away from these Forum Boards.

Slapshot 3

Forum Moderator

Edited by Slapshot 3

Has trials got more miserable old gits than most other sports? :guinness:

Rugby and squash are the other main sports I've been involved with to any level, but the old boys tend to be very positive in both of those (from what I've seen).

What d'ya reckon? What gives trials such a bunch of negative followers? Anti-importer, anti-ACU, anti-other clubs seems to be the trend.

As both John Shirt and Sandifords and others gave products for the Scott charity Auction, ie give money to charity they aren't all that bad are they?

How much did you do for others that weekend?

It is very pertinent what ishy says as despite Shirty giving reports on the gas gas viewpoint I would hazard a guess that his "reports" of the British Championships have mentioned Jarvis many more times than the Sherco reports (where are they?)

I have no intrest either for or against sherco , for example, and I still subscrbe to their mailnews, just because I do. If it was put to the vote I am absolutely convinced that a massive majority of tc would prefer to have reports, either biased or otherwise, on this site.

What is the difference between a shirtys say and an hrc sherco wiggy or danby report, they are all valid and valuable, and by the number of views very popular.

As for reliability, I think that in the 3 years that I have closely followed the WTC/uem/bc and the youth in particular, Alexz and Ross have had one dnf in what must be over 200 rides at the toughest highest level.

The Gas Gas pros I have had have been 100% and with each model have been better and I would reccomend them to anyone.

Nothing wrong with that report from Shirty!

My only concern is that (unless I didn't see it) he did not use the word MEGA.....

Gas Gas promo stuff always used to have the 'M' word.... What's happening? Is he mellowing!

This topic was reported with requests for it to be deleted. I've read it and say, no. It's not going to be deleted.

Mr. 4ourtea - in your 21 months of membership of these Forums you have managed a whole 20 posts. That's less than one a month. Hardly what you'd call a valued contribution to the Forums don't you think? you clearly don't spend much time reading the stories as there has been a Gas Gas UK report under the sub-title "Shirty's say..." on all major UK events, Brit rounds etc for months now, if not years.

John Shirt and Gas Gas UK have contributed many hundreds of pounds towards the running costs of this site and continue to do so. Gas Gas UK were one of the first to help support this site in the early days when I was struggling to make ends meet with the costs. Your contribution is

Personally I have always found Shirtys comments like a breath of fresh air!!! I think in general he say it like it is! If there were more importers and dealers like that we would all be better off. I always look forward to his post event columns and will continue to enjoy them.......Oh and I don t even ride a GG, go figure! Thanks for keeping his columns front page too Andy!

steve

I expect this is why more importer's/dealer's don't come on to say there bit about there product and how they feel trial's is going as a whole, etc etc,because there's allway's someone like 4ourtea who's going to come on and jump on them for advertising,who really give's a toss if there's a hint of that going on,there a part of trial's just like you and me and have every right to talk about there thing. Sites like TC will be all the richer for it. :guinness:

Edited by bilco