Who Needs A Pay Rise Anyway

andy.t

Just been told I wont be getting a pay rise.. because this year your performance has to be above average before you get anything, apparently my....Champions Change & Six Sigma were below average and so was my Makes people better category, (must think I'm a Doctor also) and to finish off the insults my Global Mindset is also below average. My beloved manager also managed to add a load of facts that were not true which were mainly due to him being incompetent. So no pay rise for me this year and I'm sure he will find another reason not to give me one next year, Oh well lets go make that Voodoo doll that looks like him, I think a hammer and six inch nails would work better than a pin.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to annoy him tell him how disappointed you are with your performance and tell him you want to improve and schedule a meeting with him to develop an action plan (couple of hours should do it) then be sure to have monthly meetings with him to make sure you are following the plan and measuring your progress.

Wont get you anywhere but it will get up his nose.

Just been told I wont be getting a pay rise.. because this year your performance has to be above average before you get anything, apparently my....Champions Change & Six Sigma were below average and so was my Makes people better category, (must think I'm a Doctor also) and to finish off the insults my Global Mindset is also below average. My beloved manager also managed to add a load of facts that were not true which were mainly due to him being incompetent. So no pay rise for me this year and I'm sure he will find another reason not to give me one next year, Oh well lets go make that Voodoo doll that looks like him, I think a hammer and six inch nails would work better than a pin.

There's a few ways to look at this: -

1) Lots of people think they're fortunate to keep hold of a job in the current economic climate

2) Full time work is becoming rare with many on shorter working weeks

3) Some are working the same hours but on reduced pay (I know of a company that reduced wages by 10%)

4) Many are out of a job with lousy prospects of getting another one.

Reading the above, it looks like your performance at work is being measured in four areas and you have been rated below average on each and every one. Your Manager may be a complete and utter ******** who's fiddled the numbers to make you look bad or you're simply not up to the 'average' (acceptable level) that's expected of you.

Obviously, I've no idea which of the two options is correct. You will have your own opinion and your Manager will have his: -

Have you been pulled about your levels of performance in the past year?

Can you raise a grievance and bypass him to go a level higher?

I'd say you were lucky. Ask him how to improve and work on it.

We were told yesterday that we are on a 18mth pay freeze. Feck! I'm lucky to have a job in the next 18mths so am somewhat ok with this.

Bl**dy power/phone/rates/etc seem to go up every 2mths so we'll struggle, but keep smiling.

Ralphy

Whats a pay rise.

guy next door had his pay cut by 15% last wek. on the other side the new mum was made redundant on her first day back. if you had got a rise equvilant to inflation.. do you think 0.5% would make that big a difference

i work for one of the best company's operating on the FTSE 100! we have just been told how well the company is doing and its yet another very successful year for us........... but we're still making over 200 people redundant at our site alone!

im just glad to have a job and i would sacrifice a payrise so that one person who wants to stay at the site can still have a job.

'Ere ,aren't you the geezer who started a topic on TC because you wouldn't go on a course, provided by your firm, last year???

I can see what Andy.T is getting at,The bill's coming through the door are increasing,for example my last quarter's gas bill came in at the price of what i used to pay for 3 quarter's in a year not so long ago.so in short if the bill's coming through the door stayed at the same level with what people are getting paid,then im sure this topic would'nt have come up,we're all being shoved into a corner here.

Like most other's im running out of backup plan's,My last backup plan is to buy a campervan chuck a couple of Bike's in the back and travel Europe.Sound's like a bloody good last backup plan to me.Your not taking my ar$e Mr Brown.

Edited by bilc0

I never thought I'd consider myself to be lucky to be permanently skint and bike-less because at least I have a job and can still pay the bills.

If you feel like fuelling your anger, read this (long read but worth it). It's pretty much all down to one senior manager at AIG who pulled a Nick Leeson but on an exponentially larger scale. And all those involved are still kicking back in their mansions and lighting fat cigars with $1000 notes. Modern life is rubbish.

Bilco, I like you backup plan, HAM2 yes it was me, Fivemeister yes its utter garbage, and sorry to anyone who has lost their job but my point is how long should you just accept the kind of crap like my manager is giving me, last year I did the training as he requested, I told him at my last appraisal that I didn't want to know a year latter that I was not on track for a pay rise, so at this years I was at least expecting some extra as he had not during the year pointed out any faults, it was only on the day that he incorrectly identified some issues, tosser.