Reading Between The Lines

totalshell

Much diplomacy post the first round from the published statements by riders and importers.

Plaudits to the organising club and all those who travelled a LONG way to ride. When was the last time a BTC round had that many starters? That alone has to stand out as a mjor positive

The 'official ' comments suggest that it was too 'easy' as the top lads dropped less than half a dozen.. have they perhaps grown complacent and expect to be able to drop 20 or 30 and finish in the top three ( how many other trials this weekend were won by riders dropping about 3.. most i would think) the lads and lasses dropping 100+ perhaps didnt think it was 'easy'

one thing is for sure, if national rounds attract bigger entries yet more folk will want to ride, more riders equals more bikes and bits sold.. everyones a winner.

that young guns might have to adapt and feel frutrated is one thing but as trials return to how they were for the first 80 years they become more accessable to joe public, and thus promote the sport and the countries best riders and that is surely what a national championship is all about.

I would not say 67 Riders was a "Success". Pretty much the same as last years early rounds. It was a Good entry for the Scottish round helped by the fact it is the first round this year. As for the results it was pretty much "as normal" barring Gary MacDonald's good ride on "home" ground. I would be surprised but delighted if he can maintain that level at all the rounds. Love the "New Rules" comments. The rules are the "old" rules and the format is the "old" format and looking at the Video I don't think it will be worthwhile going to a round this year!! For some clubs that could be a problem as it's the only Trial they charge entry or parking for. Also it already obvious the "top" riders don't like this format, even shirty admits it and in the end if the riders do not like the rules they will eventually stop riding these Trials. As for More bikes sold I doubt Shirty, John, Malcolm, Nigel and Steve are going to get rich on a share of 100 bikes per year. I seriously wonder what certain importers are smoking these days if they think Selling bikes to National runners is going to bring in more sales??

Edited by Telecat

had to check outTelecats claims..

the 1st round in 2008 was also in Scotland brown again was the winner .. he dropped 74 .. yes SEVENTY FOUR Jarvis in 4th dropped ONE HUNDRED AND FOUR!!

Craig robinson was the 13th competitor he dropped 172 yes just 13 in the championship class..

in the end if the riders do not like the rules they will eventually stop riding these Trials.

Thats funny, where i come from the employed does what the employee tells them.

I take these lad are getting paid?

• Like 1

That Depends on what you call being paid. :closedeyes:

Yeah thats why i added the bit on the end.

I do wonder why there wasting there young life and talent on a trial bike when theres a much better wage to be had on a diffrent saddle.

As a side issue and ignoring the ongoing no stop/stop allowed debate and having looked down the lower end of the champ class results it must be said what cracking rides the top boys must of had as some very good riders still dropped 50 plus marks so no walk in the park. Maybe early numbers suffered a little if the sections where green but credit still due I think.

Having watched the video all I see is super modern machines, being ridden by super modern riders, riding sections 100 years old! How anyone can think thats the way forward is beyond me.

But saying that, with some clever section plotting it could be made to be spectacular! but thats all down to the terrain available and if its not there,........ well you cant polish a turd! ( Ishy taught me that bless him)

Edited by AtomAnt
  • Like 1

Leaving aside the debate regarding stop or not, why do we need a spectacle? Trials is a sport to be doing rather than watching. Watching trials isn't going to be like a rock concert or a cup tie..you need to appreciate trials skills and to do that you need to be or have been in the game. If a few guys can earn a living from promoting sales then good for them but they surely must leave the marketing strategy to thier paymasters. Personally I would rather they spend the money on better quality products. For a trial to be a trial by definition it should be a test of both rider and bike.. and be representative of what is being promoted.....why not formulate the bikes as in all parts to be standard production or tagged for the whole season with penalties for service repairs.

• Like 1

Just need the manufactures to make a NEW twinshock and we can go back to the 70/80's just what the backward thinking ACU wants it seems ? how are we going to get a young british rider to compete on the world stage with these rules ? It seems we need to send our kids to live in Spain/Italy to stand any chance of them making it to the top ? Trials needs the same rules from the top to the bottom and should be decided by the FIM and the individual countries governing bodys we should all then as clubs/centres abide by this decision what ever our personal opinions and get on with enjoying and promoting this great sport of ours. All this squabbling and confusion is doing is nothing but harm to our sport…..good ride by Brad Cox on a 125 some unlucky 5s but great first attempt also good to see the JTG up there with Ross as well

I'm tending to take a back seat in debates on here nowadays, but I do agree with Chewy, lets face it once and for all - trials is not going to be a real spectator sport like rallying; formula one or MotoGP, its been tried to death.

Secondly, if trials bikes are not sold to participants, there will soon be no factories to support top riders, its a delicately balanced pyramid wide at the base, narrow at the top - always has been and (perhaps) always will be!

Big John

(oh yes, it's only my personal opinion remember!)

• Like 1

But saying that, with some clever section plotting it could be made to be spectacular!

Isn't that where trials is going wrong (or went wrong) As Chewy said, it is a participant's sport, not public entertainment. It was never intended as a commercial proposition for promotoers to make money out of. No-one ever used to pay to watch a trial.

If people want spectacular demonstrations of modern rider and bike capability, there should (would) be a niche for that sort of event, or demonstration. But I'd wager it would not break even and die a death. From what I've seen of the last few indoors on the box there are many empty seats and you have to wonder how many times people will continue to turn out to watch the same thing over and over.

Give the new (old) format a chance. It's only one event into the season...

It would be interesting to hear riders' views too and not just the top 3 either.

• Like 2

To be fair the british champiosnship was based on the world round severity and outside of the top 3 you couldnt really make it much harder looking at the scores last year. I have said this before but its worth repeating, our current riders with the previous years format couldnt make it into the top 5 at the WTC anyway so why spoil the national series? In my view the WTC is knackered within the next 2 years, theres not enough money and when cabs / raga and fuji retire theres going to be Toni Bou and the rest will be miles away unless the section severity reduces.

Perhaps we are ahead of the game in recognising replicating wtc is a blind alley in terms of participation. Trials IS a participation sport, people watching buy naff all.....

Edited by Baldilocks