Fim Minimum Bike Weight Increase 2014? What?

kettlewell

It seems a fairly pointless rule to me and one which won't encourage me to rush to buy a new bike in future. 'Your new Gasser Sir, of course its 9 lbs heavier than your current model.' Unless it's a few weights I can just hack off.

Trials worldwide doing badly has little to do with bike weight. More likely it's the general perception of motor cycles as 'bad', the eco lobby, the noise the damn things make and the fact the sport is almost invisible. Selling the sport exclusively to some useless minority TV channel is a pretty stupid idea as well. Watching what (very brave) nutters can do on Osets and T14s makes me wonder if petrol engines are all that necessary after all. A silent trials bike would open up a lot of new ground to ride on.

• Like 3

It seems a fairly pointless rule to me and one which won't encourage me to rush to buy a new bike in future. 'Your new Gasser Sir, of course its 9 lbs heavier than your current model.' Unless it's a few weights I can just hack off.

Trials worldwide doing badly has little to do with bike weight. More likely it's the general perception of motor cycles as 'bad', the eco lobby, the noise the damn things make and the fact the sport is almost invisible. Selling the sport exclusively to some useless minority TV channel is a pretty stupid idea as well. Watching what (very brave) nutters can do on Osets and T14s makes me wonder if petrol engines are all that necessary after all. A silent trials bike would open up a lot of new ground to ride on.

I think that's the major problem with our sport. If you're not a trials rider you'll probably never heare of the sport. It doesn't get any TV coverage here in Belgium ( It used to when Eddy Lejeune was winning world titles) And there is very little or no promotion of the sport such as trial schools etc..

Changing the rules (stop or no stop) or the bikes won't make much difference i.m.o.

• Like 4

I actually like this but from a different perspective. I want the R&D budget spenton making bikes more environmentally friendly. I want to ride a bike upstream for a mile, take a water sample from the river and prove that there was no pollution. As an organiser that will solve one of my current problems. No land = No sales you would think manufacturers would have thought of that by now.

So true!

Many topics say get more riders into the sport etc. ... WHY? Where are they going to ride? There seems to be less and less land available.

• Like 1

I actually like this but from a different perspective. I want the R&D budget spenton making bikes more environmentally friendly. I want to ride a bike upstream for a mile, take a water sample from the river and prove that there was no pollution. As an organiser that will solve one of my current problems. No land = No sales you would think manufacturers would have thought of that by now.

Wouldn't be a Beta with the leaky carb then.

Use the marginal increase in minimum weight to increase silencers and drop noise levels would be a move in the right direction. How about shaft drive - no chain lube to wash out. Fuel injection - no float bowl to leak or spills when tipped over. All above have weight penalties against doing them and unfortunately cost implications too but may be the burden of being allowed to play in the woods in the future

• Like 1

If you want to make a shaft drive that has no influence on the suspension, you need a complicated construction ( see paralever on BMW motorcycles)

I would prefer an enclosed belt drive...

Reminds me of a funny story.

When the USA went into space they developed the Fischer Space Pen to work using an ink pump rather than gravity. Quite a clever piece of kit by all accounts. Not as clever as the Russians however who simply took a pencil.

We dont need shaft drive we need biodegradable chain lube which will retro fit everything !

• Like 3

When the USA went into space they developed the Fischer Space Pen to work using an ink pump rather than gravity. Quite a clever piece of kit by all accounts. Not as clever as the Russians however who simply took a pencil.

We dont need shaft drive we need biodegradable chain lube which will retro fit everything !

Was just suggesting ideas off the top of my head as to why extra weight may be beneficial. Anyway is that why the Americans also go to the expense of inventing straight roads rather than making cars with handling!!!!

• Like 4

Ink doesn't conduct, graphite does. In zero gravity graphite could cause drift anywhere, hence the pump pen.

• Like 3

OK but nobody's queried it before and I like the message. Not getting at you Jimmy either but we should be more worried about Keihin carbs which are common on new bikes by gas gas sherco and beta and which leak like the old mikuni on the beta you may be referring to than we are about chain vs shaft drive. Forestry Commission use a biodegradable lube on their chainsaws. We use stuff with pictures of a dead fish on the can....

There is indeed harmless fuel available, but - in own experience - very expensive*. Probably when more people buy it get's cheaper?

*(at least Aspen racing which is around 3,20 € / liter)

Anyway to decrease the weight about some gram you can mount a plastic bottle underneath the engine between the case and the bottle punch round two holes in it and line the overflow lines of the carb inside, this do works well.

I have no problem with the weight limitation and to any cheating, if the bikes will be parked in the parc fermé right after technical examination there would not be many changes to fuzz around with weights.

Edited by pschrauber