Fim Minimum Bike Weight Increase 2014? What?

kettlewell

The only way you can enforce a weight limit is at the end of a race , as most car races do (some before and after ) . A observed approach checkpoint after the last section (with a pressure washer to get the muck off if necessary ) , and fuel load doesn't count ...

But this also means my '83 240 pro that I've painstakingly got down to about 75kg is going to be competitive again !!! :)

This most likely won't affect the top guys in the least , as they are superhuman anyway , But it may inspire advances in power and suspension development that hopefully will trickle downstream to us mortals . Instead of engineers striving to make the lightest possible bike out of unobtanium !!!

But I'm still fixing up old bikes with proven trusted technology and getting my kids out in the sunshine (or rain :) ) .

Glenn

• Like 1

But this also means my '83 240 pro that I've painstakingly got down to about 75kg is going to be competitive again !!! :)...

Glenn

What the hell have you done to get it down to that weight,I'm scared to weigh mine! don't wanna think about it!,SWM kicked my ass this weekend following the modern bikes around,went everywhere they did but man,did I wear down quick,240 definetaly "feels" lighter than SWM,but still way above modern.

BTW Glenn,rode my buddies 06 GG 200,Wow,runs very much like a 240,really likey!

The FIM are too busy trying to get the good old days back, Heavy bikes, no stop. They should be trying to evolve the sport into something that is going to attract the modern generation to it. I don't have the answers but someone out there must have. All things change, evolve, move on. Who doesn't want to be able to try and ride like the pro's. Having a heavy bike is just going to make us average riders even less able to try and flick our bikes around.

I have just come back to trials after being involved with Kart Racing for 30 years. Karting has self destructed itself with complicated, heavy, expensive karts that are just not fun to drive anymore.

Please keep the bikes simple, light and fun to ride.

• Like 1

I actually like this but from a different perspective. I want the R&D budget spenton making bikes more environmentally friendly. I want to ride a bike upstream for a mile, take a water sample from the river and prove that there was no pollution. As an organiser that will solve one of my current problems. No land = No sales you would think manufacturers would have thought of that by now.

• Like 6

Before everybody starts burning witches at the stake what is the weight of a 2013 bike with oil in the engine and a full tank of fuel. Lets talk from a point of knowledge rather than promotional brochures. Also all those stories of bikes having broken swing arms, wheel bearing not lasting 5 mins, suspension bushes seizing, mudguards that shatter when you breath on then think what a couple of kg applied to properly engineering critical components would make to resale values, running cost etc. Every kart race I have been to had the karts weighed as they came in at the end of the race so dead easy to do - any yes you include fuel same as F1.

• Like 2

What the hell have you done to get it down to that weight,I'm scared to weigh mine! don't wanna think about it!,SWM kicked my ass this weekend following the modern bikes around,went everywhere they did but man,did I wear down quick,240 definetaly "feels" lighter than SWM,but still way above modern.

BTW Glenn,rode my buddies 06 GG 200,Wow,runs very much like a 240,really likey!

They say 88kg Stock ... With the lights and paraphernalia , There were no xtra brackets of any sort on mine (ever) and the silencer , rims , top clamp , shocks etc. , etc. , etc. along with a few other bits and and bobs I've made or bought , it wasn't that hard ...

GG 200 ? might try one if I get the chance ... After the section and Reflex get close to completion ...

Rock on !

Glenn

I agree with Jimmy's thinking that current actual bike weights are somewhat optimistic, if not plain fictitious & probably bone dry without any homologation parts, etc.

Each year bike launches quote weight savings for revised components, then give the same overall weight. Or the factory replica with magnesium engine cases that save 1.5Kg, but no difference in total bike weight, how do they arrive at that?

I recall Pidcocks claimed to have weighed a 4RT on the FIM scales at Fort William to be 68Kg. That's about 10% less than standard, so frankly unlikely.

If you do it at the end of a trial its open to abuse, you need to do it at random.

Start, end of every lap and at the finish. Takes 2 seconds. Supply jet wash to rinse of worst of the mud and then weigh. If a bike is ok when clean then they are going to be safe with dirt on. Really is so easy to enforce.

• Like 1