Vertigo Launch

Andy

Blimey there is some drivel spouted on here sometimes! Can't believe how negative some people are about progress. People said lightweight 2 strokes would never beat a big heavy 4 stroke. Rear suspension was no good for Trials etc...

So Fuel injection then, perfect carburation at all altitudes and whatever the weather. Works at any angle and bike can be laid flat/upside down without pouring fuel out (environmental issue there.) We've all been driving cars with fuel injection for years and seem to forget how horrendous our old cars with carbs and manual chokes were.

People are berating the electric water pump and couldn't see any benefits, have a look on the Beta forums and see how many Rev3 posts you can find moaning about corroded engine cases because of the water pump. Early Gas Gas Pro also had sealing issues around the shaft I recall. An electric pump makes good sense to me - Bike will warm up to working temperature much quicker as water won't be flowing round the rad, that should help after a stop to inspect sections on a cold winter day too. The pump can run at the optimum speed at all times regardless of engine revs, Perhaps even improving engine performance as there will be no resistance when reving. The pump on the viseo is clearly a prototype, the ones pictured in Milan were barely noticeable.

• Like 7

#100 yes very funny.

The electric water pump will put load (resistance) on the engine because of the torque required to generate its driving electricity. Then there will be efficiency losses during generation, rectification and in the electric motor of the pump itself.

The reason Beta cases corrode is because they are magnesium alloy (to make them lighter) and possibly more suited to thin moulding. Because of its position in the galvanic series relative to aluminium rapid corrosion occurs. Honda CR MX bikes suffered the same.

EFI on cars always desirable? - anyone priced a GDI recently?

Give me mechanical water pump any day. Electric motors fail much more regularly , especially when they are blasted with muck and water. Like my many many bike experiences with Aprilia road bikes the fancy electric bits are good for a couple of years , then die. It's a pity , there gorgeous otherwise. But I'm willing to give the Vertigo a chance - good luck , but like all progress , it might cost in reliability. I'm cynical about how long they have tested the. whole bike for. Some proto pictures might reassure and show the trials world their not like everyone else and rushing.

• Like 2

#100 yes very funny.

The electric water pump will put load (resistance) on the engine because of the torque required to generate its driving electricity. Then there will be efficiency losses during generation, rectification and in the electric motor of the pump itself.

The reason Beta cases corrode is because they are magnesium alloy (to make them lighter) and possibly more suited to thin moulding. Because of its position in the galvanic series relative to aluminium rapid corrosion occurs. Honda CR MX bikes suffered the same.

EFI on cars always desirable? - anyone priced a GDI recently?

Are you for real? you seem to be worried about the 'load' on the mag to generate the electricity to power the pump. So what about the load required to drive a mechanical pump and it's inefficiencies? Do you just sit there thinking of the most negative thing you can think of and spout this crap. Do you not think that designers learn from these things and re-design things to overcome these issues? I've been in design engineering/automation now for 31 years and what I've learnt in all the time, is NEVER work with people like you because nothing would ever get developed.

• Like 3