Reliability

heffergm

There are a few gassers that have had gearbox problems and you normally hear about them on here, On the other hand there are 1000's that are still holding up well but you don't hear of them cause they are not broke yet.

I had a 09 gasser I got it in 10/11. This bike had been previously ridden in the ssdt and the scott by a rider who knows more about gassers than anyone else in the uk then it was ridden by a expert rider.

This bike had a propper hammering, It was burning gear oil, The waterpump and shaft was shot and it had a cracked cylinder amongst other stuff. I brought it from a 3rd party trials dealer who tried to mask the problems and tried to fob me off with saying it didn't have a warranty. When I looked at the bike I noticed it was smoking but was assured it was just fuel evaporation as it had been standing. Anyway the dealer sent me all parts to fix it after I had to create world war 3 with him.

I didn't name and shame on here and still won't even though he is not the company owner anymore, I'm guessing he was having problems at the time and had to do what he had to do.

The bike was perfect when I repaired it and It survived well with me on it and held up without fault or missing a beat.

The point is, The gearbox on this bike was spot on, I checked everything when I had it apart and it showed no signs of wear anywhere so it proved they can take a hammering in 2 of the toughest events in the uk and then some.

Also it proves that a bike ridden by top riders can still be knackered so it's not just Joe bloggs who buggers them up.

So my 1st Gas Gas was a nightmare before I even done a trial on it but I stuck with it and it was great, It is still going well now with it's new owner.

I'm back on another Gas Gas now. I know the bikes pretty much inside and out. My son is on his second Gas Gas now also.

The gearbox isn't as good as a sherco, beta or a 4rt but it's good enough and a damn sight lighter than the others.

• Like 1

My son and I have had 6 of them between us 3x300 2 x250 and 1 280 the newest being 2011 The 300s each had anew kickstart gear the 2010 300 did a few Btc rounds and tough events and lots of practice It still rode fine when it was sold The only other bits we replaced were the consumables you'd put on any bike.We changed the gear oil every 4trials cleaned out the airbox and air filter every meeting Nothing else went wrong finished every event entered. I Have recently swapped to jtg for a change more than anything which I feel rides better but if it proves a wrong decision I would not hesitate to have another GasGas

I'm reluctant to let enduro guys try out my Gas Gas. If I let them, I would tell them not to shift or kickstart. After replacing the kickstart gear, idler gear, top hat, and splitting the cases to replace the gearshift link, I don't want anybody treating my fragile gearbox like a normal bike. I have Japanese MX, Enduro and dual sport bikes and I can hammer the shifter and kick lever all day and not do any damage. Enduro guys think they can do the same with a trials bike.

With my GG, I need to be careful with every kick and shift. Gentle with the shifts and make sure the kick start gear is engaged before kicking. I've had electrical issues also, which seem to be specific to my 2007 model.

• Like 1

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/47625-metal-in-the-gearbox-oil-txt-250-2009/

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/52377-gas-gas-gearbox-bearings/

See the above posts, 7 2012s affected.

I know whatever I post will probably be treated with derision and insults so I will keep it brief. Although some Pros may only have had average / typical trial bike problems, since its inception the Pro gearbox has had a greatly disproportionate number of failures.

There is as yet no significant longer term evidence that this problem has been cured and it is probable that without a substantial redesign it won’t be.

As for Asian women, well I’d be surprised if many would kick Klassy Myleene out of bed, but there again perhaps some’s interest in trials is not reliability, but rather men in tight lycra.

Edit Nigel I am pretty certain it was you who started bringing DL into this, not me.

Edited by dadof2

Dad of two give it a rest. I`ve made more money on the Pro motor than any other bike ever. Some of us need the work. Buy a Pro, It rides great and gives me something to look forward to!

Yep, greatest thing since sliced bread! Friggin awesome! I wanna PRO man!

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/47625-metal-in-the-gearbox-oil-txt-250-2009/

I know whatever I post will probably be treated with derision and insults so I will keep it brief. Although some Pros may only have had average / typical trial bike problems, since its inception the Pro gearbox has had a greatly disproportionate number of failures.

There is as yet no significant longer term evidence that this problem has been cured and it is probable that without a substantial redesign it won’t be.

As for Asian women, well I’d be surprised if many would kick Klassy Myleene out of bed, but there again perhaps some’s interest in trials is not reliability, but rather men in tight lycra.

Edit Nigel I am pretty certain it was you who started bringing DL into this, not me.

hi hope someone can give me some advice on my problem,

I let my brother borrow my bike and he brought it back without a kickstart i bought one and fitted it to my suprise it just span round sometimes engaging gears but in all different positions, i was told by a friend that it could be at best case the spring behind the clutch that had broke ( the one near the gear adjuster bolt)

But on draing the oil prior to taking of the clutch case i drianed the oil but there where two bits of metal on the magnet, i was hoping someone may be able to advise problem and cost to repair i know i need to split cases to get a proper idea of problem also if this helps to identify problem the kickstart shaft moved side to side when case was off PLEASE HELP!!!!!! thankyou in advance

The problem here is not with the bike, it's with the chavie who lent his bike to someone and can not decide if its the kickstart that changes the gears or not.

I'm trying to not to get involved with this gas gas gearbox war but this is not a real example of a unreliable gas gas gearbox is it.

YES gas gas gearboxes can break but not every one has broken out of 100000's sold, We get the message they are not perfect and may be a bit fragile but we don't always get the story of what exactly was being done or not to the bike before it failed.

So this seems like a quest to convert every one to the anti gas gas gearbox religion and we should all go round knocking on peoples doors to spread gods message about it.

Give it a rest please.

• Like 1

Deffintaly needs repair, otherwise the other gears (freewheel and the clutch) can damage. Probably the spring is broken, or the kickstarter is not mounted correctly inside. The ''clip'' needs to be mounted pointing to the top, and will fall inside the casing. The kickstart shaft is loose when the cover is off, so thats no problem.

Well Dad, after the stick you've had on here (some of which amounts to personal abuse and would have seen the perpetrator barred from at least one other forum I read), you must be having a wee smile to yourself when your opinion on gearboxes seems to have been vindicated in GasGas 249's latest interview.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1

How about we try and turn this into something constructive, We know about the gear mechanism being weak but this only appears to be a problem with crashing or being ham footed with it so I assume this is not reliability issue just a weak part that needs to be taken care of.

The gearbox bearings, I understand that the split needle rollers are the culprits for failure, So is it a particular one that gives up?

What exactly causes them to give up?

Is there a way of finding heavier duty or better quality replacements?

There is a wealth of knowledge from members on here, Dadof2 and Nigel have excellent knowledge, They know their stuff, but have rattled each others cages and I can understand both sides of this Plus it has been a bit of entertainment too!

What we need to know is why do they shed bearings and also why do some seem to go on forever?

• Like 1

I have deliberately backed off this topic for a while to let it cool a bit and this is almost certainly my last post on it. I ask that those on both sides of the argument, in particular those opposing my views look back at my previous posts and you will realise there is actually quite a bit about GG which I like. In the part of UK where I ride both in events and practice the sections are predominantly slippery becks (I have actually known the odd trial to be nothing else) with a lot protruding rocks. This means when the bike goes down it is often sudden and hard. This is a lot more punishing for the bikes than trials on different terrain that I have seen in other parts of the country.

In the days of the Yamaha TY monoshocks there was hardly a rider that did not smash at least one ignition flywheel case. It is this same terrain that has probably brought about the gearshift failures (not kickstart or bearing failures) on the pro engine. The big difference between the TY and the Pro is the consequences of the damage. A broken flywheel cover did not put you out of the event and only cost about £25 to replace (Both JS and NB did sand cast aluminium replacements). The shifter breakage on a Pro on the other hand usually brings the days riding to an end and can easily mean a bill of £several hundred. I suspect the Sherco gear shift return spring may be the next issue to be revealed by slippery becks. I know of a few that have failed, so far only the springs needing replacement but sooner or later some unfortunate is going to have a bit of spring go between the primary drive gears.

I will also add that I am a qualified quality assurance auditor (LRQA ISO 9001) and as a result or advice I have recently given, a manufacturer of domestic whitegoods (sales or 350,000 units per year) is going to make a minor design change to improve reliability and safety.

Edited by dadof2

I have deliberately backed off this topic for a while to let it cool a bit and this is almost certainly my last post on it. I ask that those on both sides of the argument, in particular those opposing my views look back at my previous posts and you will realise there is actually quite a bit about GG which I like. In the part of UK where I ride both in events and practice the sections are predominantly slippery becks (I have actually known the odd trial to be nothing else) with a lot protruding rocks. This means when the bike goes down it is often sudden and hard. This is a lot more punishing for the bikes than trials on different terrain that I have seen in other parts of the country.

In the days of the Yamaha TY monoshocks there was hardly a rider that did not smash at least one ignition flywheel case. It is this same terrain that has probably brought about the gearshift failures (not kickstart or bearing failures) on the pro engine. The big difference between the TY and the Pro is the consequences of the damage. A broken flywheel cover did not put you out of the event and only cost about £25 to replace (Both JS and NB did sand cast aluminium replacements). The shifter breakage on a Pro on the other hand usually brings the days riding to an end and can easily mean a bill of £several hundred. I suspect the Sherco gear shift return spring may be the next issue to be revealed by slippery becks. I know of a few that have failed, so far only the springs needing replacement but sooner or later some unfortunate is going to have a bit of spring go between the primary drive gears.

I will also add that I am a qualified quality assurance auditor (LRQA ISO 9001) and as a result or advice I have recently given, a manufacturer of domestic whitegoods (sales or 350,000 units per year) is going to make a minor design change to improve reliability and safety.

I need you to contact the peeps that made my garage door! Seems every 5 or ten years the bloody spring breaks! Must be the slippry becks ! am running it through! :wall:

• Like 1