Reliability

heffergm

Dadof2 - Come clean with your motives here. You trash the new Vertigo and you have spent many hours on this thread trashing Gas Gas without even owning a modern one. You also trash anything that isn't still powered by stoking the flames to get up enough steam!

By the way, I have owned a 2010 and a 2012 gasser pro 300 and both bikes were great and I didn't have any problems at all.

It has been mentioned before in this thread but the quality of maintenance MUST be a factor in a bikes reliability. I was fortunate that both my gassers were maintained by Mick Danby, hence the reason they ran so well and never had any problems.

I have also had 5 Shercos and they are a good bike too - I didn't have any problems with the 2T's just the well documented problems with the 4T

Edited by atomant

First DLs choice of bike. Anything I write is speculation because only DL knows why but considering he had a 3 year contract with GG and coached Raga on one there is no reason he should not continue to use a bike he is familiar with until the Vertigo is up and running.

AG bikes – strongly favours Sherco, pretty well given up on GG

Firstly, dougies choice of bike is based on 7 world championships and so many years riding trials, that you dismiss this lightly I find astonishing. I have seen Dougie up close and I cant ever remeber him not giving 100% at every event. So why would he not chose what he feels wont let him down? Is that not reliability? To finish first first you must finish?

I'm sorry to hear that AG bikes will no longer supply gas gas when I'm at the shop relaunch this saturday I shall ask him why he wont sell me my 4th gas gas.

• Like 2

Just logged on after watching Memphis Belle, and like the B17 crew, seems I am getting plenty of hostile flak also.

Lad, Lads, Lads, Please read what I actually wrote before passing comment on statements you have made up yourselves. Why not quote what I said, then comment on it rather than making things up?

Nigel, AG bikes see http://www.agbikes.co.uk/index.html I know full well he will source a GG but not a mention of them by name on his website. Who told you AG no longer supplies GG? On this post you say 4 th GG, on other posts you say you have had 7, how many have you had? DLs choice of bike - read again what I actually wrote. I have not written nor implied what your post accuses me of.

Atomant - I have no motive, however I am quite happy to state that if my criticism spurs GG on to improving its products, then it will have been worthwhile. I may not have owned a GG Pro but I have worked on, diagnosed faults on and advised on repairs on plenty

As for trashing the Vertigo, giving reasoned argument against what I see as excessive complexity of some parts of the bike is hardly trashing.

I agree maintenance is a factor in reliability, but nearly all the riders I know who have had problems with their Pro’s have not had problems with other makes or previous models of GG. I am confident that poor maintenance (other than possibly use of ATF) is not a factor.

Perce #50, which dealer are you talking about? If it is AG I refer you to his website same as my reply to Nigel above.

JFC #49 Which dealer are you referring to?

Perce #45. I know WB were also Honda dealers. I approached them several years ago about buying a Honda at well over £10k. They were pretty well piffed off that Honda UK could not supply one nor could they even tell me when they could get one. I then bought the bike elsewhere x stock. I will happily acknowledge that it was probably the collapse of Honda sports bike sales that brought down WB, Not GG. However see comment* nearer the end of this post.

Baldilocks #42 and 43

Bill and Mick did trials as a bit more than a sideline, I had several different makes of bikes off them over many years. I know it was age / retirement that stopped them selling bikes but as above I will comment* more at the end of my post

I never wrote closure of WB was related only to GG

Nigel Birkett used to promote and sell GGs. Had they been selling well and in large numbers, would he have looked to possibly risky ventures elsewhere?

Regarding Alspan, I am quite happy for you to discuss this with him. Unfortunately I can’t remember the exact dates but on one occasion it was something like “no GGs at all have been sold in this area (meaning Cumbria and N East) for ? (I can’t remember the exact time period but it was many months). Quite some time after that he reinforced the poor sales by saying that there was still virtually no improvement (in GG sales)

I know no one has commented on MHB but I know he has sold very very few GGs and for some time now has chosen to ride a Jotagas.

*My point in listing these GG or ex GG dealers was not to blame GG for their demise but to point out how many had gone without others being keen to jump in and fill their shoes.

I would like to post quite a bit more dealer comment but as it has been said to me or close associates in private conversation it would not be appropriate to post it.

It would be fair to say however that there has been fairly widespread comment within the trade regarding GG quality that is not favourable to GG.

Dealers are having a hard time and there is not much sign of an improvement, they need every sale they can get so they are hardly likely to be too critical of bikes openly.

Zippy #46. It’s not that I don’t like GG, it is just I have seen sufficient evidence of issues that put me off and these need to be sorted both visibly in the short term and proved long term before I would consider one.

Nor am I against technological improvement, I will however question what I consider to be technological changes that I think could be detrimental to the majority in the sport.

I have got certain suspicions regarding the strategies of the bean counters who now run GG. It not the same but there are some parallels to Fords unsuccessful management of Jaguar, which now under new ownership is making £10 million a week and expanding despite the recession.

Colin Appleyard well known dealer started selling gas gas 2010 /11.

Eddie Aitkin started selling gas gas last year.

Al span sells gas gas.

AG bikes still a Gas Gas dealer

if you post those that stopped / ceased to trade then its reasonable to post the new ones.

Just logged on after watching Memphis Belle, and like the B17 crew, seems I am getting plenty of hostile flak also.

Lad, Lads, Lads, Please read what I actually wrote before passing comment on statements you have made up yourselves. Why not quote what I said, then comment on it rather than making things up?

Nigel, AG bikes see http://www.agbikes.co.uk/index.html I know full well he will source a GG but not a mention of them by name on his website. Who told you AG no longer supplies GG? On this post you say 4 th GG, on other posts you say you have had 7, how many have you had? DLs choice of bike - read again what I actually wrote. I have not written nor implied what your post accuses me of.

Why dont you read what i actually wrote rather than telling me to do it? Ag has sold me 3 gassers, before that I bought them eleswhere. Is that clear enough for you. muppet.

You wrote that Dougies choice of bike was down to him not wanting to change (which he has done several times in recent years), implying he wouldnt because it was easier to stay on a gasser, what you wrote is clear for everyone to see except yourself.

The fact that AG bikes was dealer of the year with Sherco and its been his no1 brand since inception of the shop,and if you had any idea about the man himself then you wouldnt imply anything other than facts. The facts are, imo, that you are being defamatory and harming various businesses, hopefully without realising cos you are stupid?

The fact that so many people have disagreed with you and cited specific examples of where you are wrong, misinformed, ridiculous and misgiuded seems to go completely over your head.

You seem incapable of accepting that anyone could have a valid point if it doesnt align with yours.

I find your basic understanding of trials and attitude to the guys that build and sell offensive.

To comment that you hope gas gas take note of your comments is deluded to the extent that walter mitty would be surprised.

Gas Gas is/are great bikes. The quality is much better than in 2003, the reliability has been proven time and again, and their sporting sucess and sales tell the true story of the brand.

I bet Michael Brown has sleepless nights, after reading Dadof2's comments about the bike he has ridden for the past few years & more importantly signed to ride again for the future

Does Dadof2 know something Brownie doesn't?

Edited by johnnyboxer

I bet Michael Brown has sleepless nights, after reading Dadof2's comments about the bike he has ridden for the past few years & more importantly signed to ride again for the future

Does Dadof2 know something Brownie doesn't?

How many trials do their bikes actually do ? Gary Mac seems to change his every few months.

• Like 1

Atomant - I have no motive, however I am quite happy to state that if my criticism spurs GG on to improving its products, then it will have been worthwhile. I may not have owned a GG Pro but I have worked on, diagnosed faults on and advised on repairs on plenty

As for trashing the Vertigo, giving reasoned argument against what I see as excessive complexity of some parts of the bike is hardly trashing.

I agree maintenance is a factor in reliability, but nearly all the riders I know who have had problems with their Pro’s have not had problems with other makes or previous models of GG. I am confident that poor maintenance (other than possibly use of ATF) is not a factor.

Perce #50, which dealer are you talking about? If it is AG I refer you to his website same as my reply to Nigel above.

JFC #49 Which dealer are you referring to?

Perce #45. I know WB were also Honda dealers. I approached them several years ago about buying a Honda at well over £10k. They were pretty well piffed off that Honda UK could not supply one nor could they even tell me when they could get one. I then bought the bike elsewhere x stock. I will happily acknowledge that it was probably the collapse of Honda sports bike sales that brought down WB, Not GG. However see comment* nearer the end of this post.

Baldilocks #42 and 43

Bill and Mick did trials as a bit more than a sideline, I had several different makes of bikes off them over many years. I know it was age / retirement that stopped them selling bikes but as above I will comment* more at the end of my post

I never wrote closure of WB was related only to GG

Nigel Birkett used to promote and sell GGs. Had they been selling well and in large numbers, would he have looked to possibly risky ventures elsewhere?

Regarding Alspan, I am quite happy for you to discuss this with him. Unfortunately I can’t remember the exact dates but on one occasion it was something like “no GGs at all have been sold in this area (meaning Cumbria and N East) for ? (I can’t remember the exact time period but it was many months). Quite some time after that he reinforced the poor sales by saying that there was still virtually no improvement (in GG sales)

I know no one has commented on MHB but I know he has sold very very few GGs and for some time now has chosen to ride a Jotagas.

*My point in listing these GG or ex GG dealers was not to blame GG for their demise but to point out how many had gone without others being keen to jump in and fill their shoes.

I would like to post quite a bit more dealer comment but as it has been said to me or close associates in private conversation it would not be appropriate to post it.

It would be fair to say however that there has been fairly widespread comment within the trade regarding GG quality that is not favourable to GG.

Dealers are having a hard time and there is not much sign of an improvement, they need every sale they can get so they are hardly likely to be too critical of bikes openly.

Zippy #46. It’s not that I don’t like GG, it is just I have seen sufficient evidence of issues that put me off and these need to be sorted both visibly in the short term and proved long term before I would consider one.

Nor am I against technological improvement, I will however question what I consider to be technological changes that I think could be detrimental to the majority in the sport.

I have got certain suspicions regarding the strategies of the bean counters who now run GG. It not the same but there are some parallels to Fords unsuccessful management of Jaguar, which now under new ownership is making £10 million a week and expanding despite the recession.

You need to be thinking about them Asian women when you're cracking off instead of fantasising about the bike trade, you do come up with some utter *****.