Dibs withdraws SSDT entry

telecat

Ha ha. Forgot to add the additional detail 'over 40' to the bit about old boss.... 

Without a doubt best bike... had it 10 years... love it. We have a 143 also... Will we win prizes for best, most powerful, lightest, most trendy? No... but they're mine, all paid for and make us smile and are infinitely better and more capable than we are...

(Andy - we're still coming to Scotland regardless. New cooking gear this year but we'll still be camouflaged so you'll recognise us just by the smell of bacon...)

• Like 1

Correct decision IMO. Dibs is riding the best he ever rode and has realistically only got another 2 or 3 years at the top of his game. Nows the time to fully commit to the WTC. The first round is only a week after the SSDT, a week! It has got to affect his performance in the first round and if a good performance in the 1st round is the difference between a 6th and a 5 th, or a 5th and 4th at the end of the year then it is well worth it. I imagine he would happily trade another ssdt win for even the slightest possibility of a higher ranking at the end of the year. He has lots and lots of other years to compete and win the ssdt

• Like 1

I wonder how much of the decision is James's and how much is the Gasgas factory.

Modern bikes are designed with one day trials / WTC in mind, not 6 days with little maintenance. Sure most bikes will last a week but both the SSDT and the Scott throw up failures that can be can be bad for the factories image. A SSDT or Scott win probably does not influence a rider to buy a particular brand but a well publicised failure of a supported rider on a factory bike is bad publicity. The factories probably see little to gain by competing in the SSDT.

When was the last time a gas gas A team rider had a failure?

Dad off Its nothing to do with what youve put but as stated above and also in the comments posted by james that his wtc prep is better served eleswhere.

Why in every post do you have to show your ignorance and try to angle it to your own agenda?

• Like 1

My post has nothing to do with an agenda. Had Dabs never entered the SSDT the question would not have arisen. It is his withdrawal at this stage that is puzzling. He clearly had the intention to ride. My question is still valid - is the decision entirely Dabs or is there significant Gasgas influence?

It is clear that all the main WTC teams take the same view - the disbenefits of the SSDT outweigh the benefits. Rather than entering a true A team with all the expense and risks some enter a "B" team. If it does well its good advertising, if mechanical failure puts them out it is much less visible than having a top factory rider drop out.

In answer to your first question - Gasgas have probably never had an A team failure at the SSDT because they have never entered a true A team with their top WTC riders.

I did not single out GG, I pointed out that all major WTC teams do not send an A team to the SSDT. The point I was making was that none of the modern bikes are ideal for the SSDT and because of this there is a fair chance over 6 days of riding of a manufacturers efforts being thwarted by what could be called random bad luck. Look at Dougies and Dabs / Dibs problems at fairly recent Scotts for instance, a seize, dirt in carb, 2 battery failures and 2 ignition failures.

dadof 2  the ssdt is not a part of wtc so why would wtc teams be sent ? .As for none of modern bikes are ideal for the ssdt what are you on !!!!?. SO no OLD bike ever seized. got dirt in carb & ignnition  failed ? So according to YOU  it would be better ride a old bike in preference to a modern light weight bike ?  You are saying no modern bike is ideal  for the ssdt  so why & how do they finish the event ?  So what experience of the ssdt do you have & on what bikes 

• Like 2

He is Gasgas no1 rider,they justifiably want him to have his best chance at world level so he needs as much   time as possible on WTC type terrain,also acclimatising to the higher temperatures found at most WTC events.SSDT is a very different thing,he can come back to it if he wants when his WTC career ends

• Like 2