What Your View On Doug?

sectiononecleaner

Someone needs to be there, if nothing else but to give the younger riders something to shoot for!

I think you're right, sometimes it's sad to see people struggle on in sport when they've reached a peak and heading down, but in Dougie's case, he's still so close to the top, and got so much to offer to Beta and to his team mates, that I think he should hang in there as long as he can. I wouldn't discount a comeback - heck the new Beta has even got proper suspension :lol:

When one or two Brit boys start passing him, then maybe he should think about it, but absolutely not yet.

Why would we expect our best current British rider to hang his boots up??? It's mad!

He's only looking poor by his own brilliant standards. Most of the rest of the WTC boys would still love to be up there with him.

Give him that feckin new Beta, let's hope it's a decent tool, and let's see him kick some Spanish butt next year (or even the year after)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're right, sometimes it's sad to see people struggle on in sport when they've reached a peak and heading down, but in Dougie's case, he's still so close to the top, and got so much to offer to Beta and to his team mates, that I think he should hang in there as long as he can. I wouldn't discount a comeback - heck the new Beta has even got proper suspension :rolleyes:

When one or two Brit boys start passing him, then maybe he should think about it, but absolutely not yet.

Why would we expect our best current British rider to hang his boots up??? It's mad!

He's only looking poor by his own brilliant standards. Most of the rest of the WTC boys would still love to be up there with him.

Give him that feckin new Beta, let's hope it's a decent tool, and let's see him kick some Spanish butt next year (or even the year after)

Ditto :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I think you're right, sometimes it's sad to see people struggle on in sport when they've reached a peak and heading down, but in Dougie's case, he's still so close to the top, and got so much to offer to Beta and to his team mates, that I think he should hang in there as long as he can. I wouldn't discount a comeback - heck the new Beta has even got proper suspension :thumbup:

best reply so far i watched dougie at the last british round at skyrakes and he is by far much better than the so called up and coming riders within the UK and until the likes of brownie and Dabbil can start to beat him on a regular basis, i think he should carry on riding in the WTC and especially in the british champoinship, He has nothing to prove in any competion's as his record speaks for its self and in my eyes he is the best trials rider the world has ever seen (up to current)

best reply so far i watched dougie at the last british round at skyrakes and he is by far much better than the so called up and coming riders within the UK and until the likes of brownie and Dabbil can start to beat him on a regular basis, i think he should carry on riding in the WTC and especially in the british champoinship, He has nothing to prove in any competion's as his record speaks for its self and in my eyes he is the best trials rider the world has ever seen (up to current)

not to take anything away from what lampkin has done, but i feel bou and raga are better than he ever was

not to take anything away from what lampkin has done, but i feel bou and raga are better than he ever was

On current and recent form they are both better than Doug, however as regards being better than he ever was, just remind me how many outdoor World Titles they have between them or how many WTC round wins?

No where near.

On current and recent form they are both better than Doug, however as regards being better than he ever was, just remind me how many outdoor World Titles they have between them or how many WTC round wins?

No where near.

Yea true but not really a fair comparison is it?? Doug at end of career now with no more wins in him. Raga and Bou still have probably 6 and 10 years respectively left in them and one of them (I think) will surpass Doug's total round & championship wins. Never thought anyone would top Jordi Tarres and no one has... However I think that it could happen especially with Bou.

Doug was and still is an awesome rider and he should def do one more year in WTC, however you should always try and leave as near the top as possible - I think when Tarres quit he was 5th in the world and had not won the the WTC for 2 years - I think it would be a shame for someone of Doug's standing to carry on for a couple more years and drop too far down the rankings.

....and we are well aware of your opinions and general comments about him over the years as well, that's not an unexpected comment from you.

His career is tailing off as always happens to every top level sportsman HOWEVER as has been said, unfair comparison because of the relative stages of their careers. Either way he is still in there, I wouldn't say Bou and Raga are that far ahead right now. In my opinion Doug is the best rider there has ever been (his old man is still my favourite but....).

Give him the new bike and the back up he needs and he'll still be in there fighting next season. No disrespect to Dibs, Browny or Alexz, Doug still represents the UK's BEST chance at a WTC crown in 2009 so instead of questioning it, get behind the man and support his endeavours.

Edited by Slapshot 3

I do not believe Bou will top Doug's record of seven consecutive wins (Tarres wasn't consecutive) and to top Doug's 99 WTC round wins is impossible.

Doug should carry on as long as he is enjoying his riding, he will always be a crowd puller and a great ambassador for the sport and GB, also a great motivator for the up and coming young British riders.

Yea true but not really a fair comparison is it?? Doug at end of career now with no more wins in him. Raga and Bou still have probably 6 and 10 years respectively left in them and one of them (I think) will surpass Doug's total round & championship wins. Never thought anyone would top Jordi Tarres and no one has... However I think that it could happen especially with Bou.

Doug was and still is an awesome rider and he should def do one more year in WTC, however you should always try and leave as near the top as possible - I think when Tarres quit he was 5th in the world and had not won the the WTC for 2 years - I think it would be a shame for someone of Doug's standing to carry on for a couple more years and drop too far down the rankings.

But one day, even Doug will be on the way home from a far away event where he's finished 4th or 5th and think to himself. "I've had enough of this, sooner or later I'm going to get hurt and I don't bounce like I used to. Enough is enough."

Go on Doug, give it another year, I'd love to see you get the 100th win, but do it because you want to. :guinness:

....and we are well aware of your opinions and general comments about him over the years as well, that's not an unexpected comment from you.

I think thats a bit unfair considering i havent said anything derogatory on this thread, for people to say here that 99 wins is unbeatable is ridiculous, records are there to be broken whether they be those of Tarres, Doohan, Ago or Hailwood. For me Bou is now, where lampkin was 10 years ago, and for someone to try and compare Bou's number of titles to Dougs is futile, when Bou is the age Doug is now it will be time for that

I'm sure Doug will know when he's had enough but he is still head and shoulders above all the UK talent, so maybe he'll do another year or two.

At this moment in time it would be just great if he could help the others even get near to one wtc win but the chances of any funding for that isn't great.

Now that would be a waste of talent if he were to just disappear from the WTC.

I think thats a bit unfair considering i havent said anything derogatory on this thread,

Disagree, most folk on these forums know you don't have the greatest respects for the man therefore even if he nailed an 8th and 9th title you'd still find some one better.

for people to say here that 99 wins is unbeatable is ridiculous, records are there to be broken whether they be those of Tarres, Doohan, Ago or Hailwood.

While I agree that Doug's 99 looks unassailable I didn't think anyone would eclipse Ago's record as Rossi has this season. Maybe 99 and 7 are beatable, I don't think we've yet seen the person who is going to do that, It's not Bou or Raga, they'll be fighting each other for the next 5 years.

For me Bou is now, where lampkin was 10 years ago, and for someone to try and compare Bou's number of titles to Dougs is futile, when Bou is the age Doug is now it will be time for that

This I will agree with, lets compare achievements in 10 years time. I'm certain the arguments will be the same, Doug will still come out on top

Edited by Slapshot 3

The money , the passion, which when gone will be the decider ?

In the current environment, this simple quote could be the decider for the entire series! Circus?

You see, it costs a lot to put one on, way too much! If the promotors cannot come out, it will be done for!

• 3 weeks later...

this sport is too hard at there level he won so much back then he was bound to stop winning at some point but atleast hes still having a go at it ..........

look at jordi tarres he jacked after his mega titles to finish on top hat off to the guy for not giving up on the dream.... :D