Scorpa Go Bankrupt!

pedronicman

I wouldnt call my scorpa docile ..

The point I was making there is; that at the time, there was a docile SY and a perky SY(racing?) available (different fly-wheel etc..) or it may have been a case of Euro spec vs UK spec?

I do understand the benefits of the SY for joe average but imagine what would happen to the likes of Ford if they didn't continually update/re-style/re-model (choose which word you want) the Mondeo(Taurus?) for example?

A lot of people have got to have the new version of a product just because it's ..well..new !

It's a shallow world the 'salesman' world...''It's a tough game''...to mis-quote from Glenngarry Glenross.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest mistake i made in 2003 was selling my SY. I then went on to buy: Gas Gas, Beta, Sherco, Montesa 4rt and now i'm back with the SY. This time its an 08 and its staying with me even though i don't ride as much as i used to. I'm no hopper but i can hop this bike more than any other and it gives me confidence when ever i ride it, something the other brands hardly ever did. I've had a few offers to buy the SY, will i sell it.....no chance. If there was one thing i would change it would be to have the rear mudguard shape of the 07 bike (pointy) i like the angle makes the bike look cool but the mudguard is blue and my 08 its white. I did try and heat the rear mudguard and hold it in shape but it returned to its original shape, any ideas?

Here

• 2 weeks later...

Things are looking up for Scor-co (can't use Sher-pa for copyright reasons).

From what I recall Tessier was the GasGas engine guy before he went off to help establish Sherco.

I don't know about his financial clout but as far as manufacturing off-road bikes are concerned he's trials bike royalty.

I think Tessier was one of the original men who started Scorpa in the late eighties, then sold his interest to fire up the Sherco brand.

Now if they can get that little air cooled Yam four banger in a perimeter Frame, they might have a good seller, it needs to get the sump off the ground, and a way to get at the carb without taking the bike appart, it was like they found a way to shoe horn it in the two stroke frame and that was enough, if Sherco are going with a whole new frame for the 010 range, I think the current frame could be a good home for the little air banger.

Scorpa do have some loyal fans, and the Yam lump is very reliable in both the Two and four banger version, I would like to see the option still out there, it only adds to the sport.

You will never ever ever see any Yamaha involvement again with Scorpa..........

They are currently taking stock of many options with the new CEO off on holiday, reflecting in which direction the factory will take.

Apparently nothing has been decided yet and will not for several weeks.

I think Tessier was one of the original men who started Scorpa in the late eighties, then sold his interest to fire up the Sherco brand.

Now if they can get that little air cooled Yam four banger in a perimeter Frame, they might have a good seller, it needs to get the sump off the ground, and a way to get at the carb without taking the bike appart, it was like they found a way to shoe horn it in the two stroke frame and that was enough, if Sherco are going with a whole new frame for the 010 range, I think the current frame could be a good home for the little air banger.

Scorpa do have some loyal fans, and the Yam lump is very reliable in both the Two and four banger version, I would like to see the option still out there, it only adds to the sport.

I think the cost of the yamaha engines may have been a part of their financial troubles. The little four stroke is not a trials engine but has its uses.

Wow - I really hope that Marc Tessier has bought Scorpa back. I met Marc on many occasions and he is a really genuine nice guy with a great enthusiasm for the sport. Marc and his family showed me great kindness and hospitality whilst we were practicing in France pre season. On one occasion he took us out for a meal with his familiy after taking pity on us trying to cook in the van!

I think it was Marc and Andreu Cordina who started Sherco, I seem to remember Paxau joined them later. I have great admiration for what Sherco have achieved since conception.

I have been away from the international scene for a few years so I presume Marc is still involved in Sherco. It'll be interesting to see what he / Sherco does with the Scorpa.

Scorpa has always been aimed towards average club riders, perhaps Sherco could use the Scorpa brand to market a 'value' bike. Perhaps based on last years Sherco. Oh hang on, there's already one of those called Xispa!!

To my knowledge, Marc Tessier was one of the founders of Scorpa, he then left to form Sherco S.A.R.L (previously marketed as Bultaco Sherco using the Bultaco trade mark under licence from Derbi who owned the rights to Bultaco after they folded).

If folks care to remember far enough back to 1998, Malcolm Rathmell Sport (MRS) was the UK importer for Scorpa (previously importing "Aprilia" brand trials bikes to UK).

Graham Jarvis was originally contracted to ride Scorpa through MRS then switched to the new Bultaco Sherco 2.5 just in time for the 1999 SSDT which he won of course!

Who imports Sherco now? MRS of course who have close ties with Marc Tessier and the Sherco brand.

I have met Marc only once personally at the SSDT (of which he is a big fan) he seemed a pleasant individual, but very business focussed. I know Andreu Codina (Sherco export manager) very well as I have been in conversation many times with him at the SSDT and in Spain at Robregordo. He too is a great enthusiast and in his day a proficient trials rider and a first class bike trials rider too.

Watch this space then!

Big John

• 3 weeks later...