never seen the like of it before at a trial.

totalshell

One of my local clubs held thier annual road trial today and I and my five year old daughter observed in the morning and spectated in the afternon. As usual while observing i was firm but fair and everyone smiled expressed thier thanks and rode on, some as usual stopped for a chat or or said hello to me or my daughter. a pleasant way to spend the morning and as the sun was out and the skies blue we spectated at one of the later groups.

the section was tricky, get there early and you had an evens chance of a clean the last 25% of the entry had difficulty getting out of the mudhole, some riders literally having a mudbath. Now as is the norm the 'top' riders were riding together and hanging about waiting for a 'new' line to appear or for the section to develop a brief 'sweet spot' during this period a young lad made a more than fair attempt only to come a right cropper and dove deeper into the morass than Jaques Cousteau ever could.

his riding companions good naturedly pulled him and his bike out while they waited for a couple of thier friends to attempt the section. The lad to next attemt the section had given it a long hard coat of looking at and came back to check the line before attempting to cross the morass.. he fired his bike at the crossing making it across without a dab..

however the line he chose was 6 -8 inches to the right of the red marker and all the specatators shouted ' five' the lad who had previuosly taken a tumble shouted remarks about keeping quiet and a threw a few F words in. he then strode across the morass and ' persuaded ' the observer ( who was in his seventies) that his mate was clean and waited while the 5 was changed to 0, returning to his bike he harangued the dozen or so spectators with the F word and accusations of bias, argued with a grandmother who was chastising him for use of the f word and used it agian toward her and then took on a member of the organisation team of probably the biggest trial in the calendar, who happened to be riding in the trialand used the F word 3 times toward him!

I go to a lot of football matches and swearing is banned now in most grounds and so is abusing officials but it's still often heard and its accepted but not acceptable I work with 7 or 8 other builders and swearing is common there too but i've never heard it or used like it was today toward the spectators ( who were all bar 2 observers from earlier on in the day) but what really disappointed me was the lieing to and 'persuading' the aged observer to change the score.

I'm happy to ride against better riders I'm happy to ride against people with better bikes but if winning means so much that lieing to and ' persuading' officials to that degree is acceptable then trials is nt for me..

Edited by totalshell

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am a clerk of the course and he would have been kicked out the trial and not allowed to ride in the club again. and also reported to the governing body of the sport .we are all volenteers and dont need abuse like that . hope he is proud of himself.

I totally agree with both the above- name and shame him and his 'mate' - with a bit of luck he'll never do it again and

others will think twice about doing the same......

If no one helped observe or help run an event we wouldn't have any trials to ride

We do this for fun - riding and helping.If we didn't like it we wouldn't do it!

Edited by pedronicman

100 percent agreed, That is seriously not on in a Trial no matter what the circumstances, I know when people make mistakes in sections they sometimes swear at themselves (sometimes me), But arguing & shouting & swearing at spectators & observers seriously isn't on at all, Did you report it by any chance?

If you don't mind me asking what club was it?

If he has any sense at all, he should go & apologize to all the club comitee & the spectators he swore at.

Edited by GasGasben

the comments above have been exactly as i would have hoped and expected. Frankly as i returned my observers sheet at the finish of the trial there was a queue reporting the incident. Although I know the riders bike number i do not know his name so it would not be appropriate to 'name' them on this forum

Simple both he and his "friend" should have their licence widthdrawn by both the ACU and the AMCA.

Garbage like that are not wanted and have no place in our sport.

No doubt he will be on this or another forum bleating his innocence and right to "free speach".

I wonder how many times him or his cheating mate have ever observed or helped out.

I assume it was a modern trial ? somehow it would have been even worse if it had happened at a Classic event which like me i know you are a regular attender of.

Did happen once at a Peak Classic event, though much much much less severe offence, recently. As trials sec i wanted to exclude the offender but i was overridden by the club sec who let the person off with a 5.

Me i'd have banned him period.

Hi

At a recent national a top rider screamed and swore at a observer, at the time i did not see what the argument was over. There were spectators present, and I felt so bad that I went and apologised to the observer. After finishing the lap I went to find the clerk of course, couldn't find him but left a message. Rider abuse to a official,I am putting in a official complaint. He came to see me and had already been told about the incadent. he said he had made the rider and minder appologise, do I still want to make it offical. I said yes. I was approched 3 or 4 more times during the day asking if I was sure i wanted to make it offical. At the time I did not know what the process involved (making it offical). In the end I felt guilty as if I was in the wrong and let it drop. I dont care if the observer was right or wrong, you should never abuse another rider or official. the whole incident wrecked my day and after looking through the rules I regret backing down.

Pete

I do not disagree with the abuse issues, yet at the same time, it seems we have created our own quagmire of issues that are sometimes unclear, which can lead to emotional events.

Poorly set markers that tip at a toutch, Imaginary lines not to exceed as there is no tape between?

Rider may have dabbed and others caught it, but observer was blind to it!

Go figure!

THis type of behaviour is totally unacceptable.

As stated by RichT there is a rule book which clearly sets out the proceedure for dealing with incidents like this.

As a member of the ACU Trials and Enduro Committe we get several letters a year sometimes weeks or months after the event asking us to take action against somebody who has behaved incorrecctly which by then is alomst impossible to do then we get the shouts of bloody ACU are useless.

In stead of whinging on forums riders should read the rule book and get the Clerk of the Course to take action against these people in the apropriate manner then these people might be irradicated from our sport. The rules are there just use them.

I assume it was a modern trial ? somehow it would have been even worse if it had happened at a Classic event which like me i know you are a regular attender of.

Hate to say this OTF but it was the final round of the Northern British Bike Championship run by the Red Rose AMCA Classic Trials Club.

Yes - it was a badly thought out section but it doesn't excuse this sort of behavior. I trust we won't see them back in any classic event.

However, what Totalshell did not say is how the second rider behaved. If he kept his head down and dissapeared in embarrassment, then he has no case to answer.

I was early at the section and managed not to get Stuckinthemud! It was obvious it would get worse.