No stop

dave horne

Remember the good old days ? Well there aren't any.

Johnny Rotten The Sex Pistols

Let's not go back to the days the world was run by old farts making the rules to suit old farts.

The gap with experts is wider simply because they put in more effort than the good ole days. All sport has F1 in the 60-70s were on the beer the night before a race now they have become athletes.

I bet the no stoppers are post 40 and can't balance hence lets bugger up the progress and take it back to good ole worldy 1971 flat caps n pie n peas.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not go back to the days the world was run by old farts making the rules to suit old farts.

The gap with experts is wider simply because they put in more effort than the good ole days. All sport has F1 in the 60-70s were on the beer the night before a race now they have become athletes.

I bet the no stoppers are post 40 and can't balance hence lets bugger up the progress and take it back to good ole worldy 1971 flat caps n pie n peas.

What an utterly disrespectful comment towards the professional and supported riders of that era who used to practise repeatedly to improve their riding. 'Normal' riders who make up 90% of the entries at trials never had the time to practise as they had day jobs, just as they do now.

And Mick Andrews, Sammy Miller, Rathmell, Schreiber and co were not old farts when they were winning their championships, or did you think they were born as over 40s.

If you think the clubman entry of a current national is made up of old farts who can't trick ride look again. There are plenty of younger riders who can't do it and never will be able to do it. Where are all these young riders to support the BTC - they're not there because it's too hard and they can't do it.

If you call 6 - 8 entries for a BTC event or 8 - 10 for a WTC event progress, you have a strange interpretation of the word. I suggest you take a proper look at what's happening before laying the blame with 'old farts'.

It should matter to all concerned ! What kind of sport would you have without a World Championship to aspire to ? An Amatuer sport is all you would have left !

What manufacturer would want to base their product sales or advertising on an orphaned Amatuer sport without a legitimate World Championship Series ???

It doesn't matter and it is an amateur sport. There have only ever been a handful of paid professional riders. What percentage of the current riders aspire to being world champion? 1, 2% perhaps.

If manufacturers still sold their bikes I have no idea if they would care about a world championship or not. The bikes they parade there aren't what you buy anyway. But that isn't what I said. I said riders who turn out week after week to enjoy their club and centre events wouldn't care if the WTC died tomorrow - and they wouldn't. It would make no difference to what we do.

It doesn't matter and it is an amateur sport. There have only ever been a handful of paid professional riders. What percentage of the current riders aspire to being world champion? 1, 2% perhaps.

If manufacturers still sold their bikes I have no idea if they would care about a world championship or not. The bikes they parade there aren't what you buy anyway. But that isn't what I said. I said riders who turn out week after week to enjoy their club and centre events wouldn't care if the WTC died tomorrow - and they wouldn't. It would make no difference to what we do.

Spot on Dave!

What an utterly disrespectful comment towards the professional and supported riders of that era who used to practise repeatedly to improve their riding. 'Normal' riders who make up 90% of the entries at trials never had the time to practise as they had day jobs, just as they do now.

And Mick Andrews, Sammy Miller, Rathmell, Schreiber and co were not old farts when they were winning their championships, or did you think they were born as over 40s.

If you think the clubman entry of a current national is made up of old farts who can't trick ride look again. There are plenty of younger riders who can't do it and never will be able to do it. Where are all these young riders to support the BTC - they're not there because it's too hard and they can't do it.

If you call 6 - 8 entries for a BTC event or 8 - 10 for a WTC event progress, you have a strange interpretation of the word. I suggest you take a proper look at what's happening before laying the blame with 'old farts'.

At no point have i said anything with regards to the riders of that era. Infact Martin Lampkin has brought the sport forward along with his son, i merely refer to old minded people.

Edited by smalley250

I think you'll be surprised how many of the younger generation including youth class riders want no-stop....I know of several top class youth riders who are all for it (and some that are not cos they think they are going to be the next toni bou...but they won't be 'cos they can't beat over 40 vets at club trials)

If they make the WTC no stop I'm sure it will be the best idea ever!

Why are you against it so much? Is it that the hopping rule suits you because you can have 1 foot down and completely move the bike where you want to and it's only a 1? That is no skill in trials and I can assure you that is part of what makes trials farcical and why people are gunning for a change. You shouldn't be able to move the bike around with your feet down, it's ludacris and defeats the whole object of the job.

It should matter to all concerned ! What kind of sport would you have without a World Championship to aspire to ? An Amatuer sport is all you would have left !

What manufacturer would want to base their product sales or advertising on an orphaned Amatuer sport without a legitimate World Championship Series ???

Wake up !

Trials is an amateur sport for 99.9% of participants

The world championship has nothing to do with bike sales, the 4rt is not the best selling bike is it ? In fact Honda / Montesa had so many left they ceased production for a while. Sherco / Gas Gas / Beta outsell them not because they are in the world champ getting their a*** kicked by Montesa but because most of us realise that we should buy what suits us, the WTC is not a good indicator of this.

the other point you make about aspiring to the WTC ? Have you missed how many people aspire to ride in a current WTC round ? This is what the rule change at BTC level is about in my opinion, you need more participants and that means more people aspiring to take part. If no stop isnt the solution then we either think of somthing else to change or knock £400 of the price of each new bike and just scrap the WTC / BTC.

:popcorn:

Edited by Baldilocks

At no point have i said anything with regards to the riders of that era. Infact Martin Lampkin has brought the sport forward along with his son, i merely refer to old minded people.

ok, I accept that, but whatever you meant, your sentence that I highlighted in bold said today's riders put in more effort than riders from that era, so that's how it was taken.

As for old farts running the show, when are all the younger representitives going to step forward into organisational roles and steer the sport into better times and sustain it. Look at the average age of officials and observers. The recent meeting at Rugby was again lacking in representation from riders voicing the opinion of their clubs as to which direction they feel is best, but yet again they're all too ready to raise their voices in disaproval of the decision voted in by those that were there.

The BTC and WTC are dead in the water and going nowhere under the current format. Going no-stop for the BTC will prove whether it is the right decision over the next couple of years with the number of entries received. If it works all well and good, if it doesn't what has been lost, it's petty well dead already.

As for old farts running the show, when are all the younger representitives going to step forward into organisational roles and steer the sport into better times and sustain it. Look at the average age of officials and observers. The recent meeting at Rugby was again lacking in representation from riders voicing the opinion of their clubs as to which direction they feel is best, but yet again they're all too ready to raise their voices in disaproval of the decision voted in by those that were there.

The BTC and WTC are dead in the water and going nowhere under the current format. Going no-stop for the BTC will prove whether it is the right decision over the next couple of years with the number of entries received. If it works all well and good, if it doesn't what has been lost, it's petty well dead already.

:agreed:

I know my vote doesn't count in your world but as to trials in general ...

I'm a 51 year old trials rider that returned to the sport after a 35 year hiatus... When I started riding trials back in the 70's, Mick was the man and the Tl125 was the new bike on the market. Stopping in a section while balenced with control was allowed ,put a foot down when stopped was a five . We worked hard to learn how to do a proper floater/pivot turn on our back wheel in as small a space as possible, when you walked a section you planned where your back tire would be so you would always keep moving forward . The bike had to steer quite well and yet the front end had to be light so you could turn with the footpegs and throttle on the back wheel. The very best riders of the day were the smoothest , most flowing guys. They rareley if ever spun a tire . We didn't have Minders telling us what to do , you figured it out on your own!

When I got reintroduced to trials in late 04' I was amazed watching the pros due their thing . Then I went to ride my first(again) event in 2005 . As I watched and rode I could hardly make sense of the scoring , I'd have given out alot of 5's where folks cleaned sections ...

But I still compete whenever possable and I don't think I've ever riden a event that I didn't have fun...

And I firmly believe sections do not have to be dangerous to take points... It's just not required !

Anyways thats this old farts rant ...

Let's just go riding !!!

Glenn

The world championship has nothing to do with bike sales, the 4rt is not the best selling bike is it ? In fact Honda / Montesa had so many left they ceased production for a while. Sherco / Gas Gas / Beta outsell them not because they are in the world champ getting their a*** kicked by Montesa but because most of us realise that we should buy what suits us, the WTC is not a good indicator of this.

:popcorn:

Your argument doesn't hold water. If fact, I think you just made a great case for the WTC's sales influence. Montesa would probably be a top selling bike if they sold a bike that was even close in capability to what that Bou rides and were priced competitively. They arent and they dont. Everyone knows they are one off's and might as well be made buy a different brand - oh wait - they are! Just look at the popularity of the many replica bikes from GG (Raga and Race), OSSA (Fajardo), BETA (factory) and SHERCO (Cab and Pax). These companies are sales driven and respond to what there customers want.

Well Said ! :icon_salut:

If they make the WTC no stop I'm sure it will be the best idea ever!

Why are you against it so much? Is it that the hopping rule suits you because you can have 1 foot down and completely move the bike where you want to and it's only a 1? That is no skill in trials and I can assure you that is part of what makes trials farcical and why people are gunning for a change. You shouldn't be able to move the bike around with your feet down, it's ludacris and defeats the whole object of the job.

Simply put, I am against it because it takes more skill to balance the bike when stopped than when it is moving !!! Yes ,I can hop and balance,most of the time with feet up,and if my foot goes down I take my point. People are gunning for a change in the number of participants, and that is good, but to alter the sport at the top levels to accomodate folks with less talent and/or dedication is not the way to go.

Why can't we have a series for both stop and no stop ??? That would seem to allow for the most entries, and bike sales, all around. Can't we all just get along for the good of the sport's future without having to leave anyone out ???