Have Any Of You Guys Broke Ribs Riding?

billyt

Mine took about six weeks but it was the soft tissue and torn membranes between the ribs that still hurt for about twelve weeks.

Drink more Guinness it may not help but I couldn't do much else.

More of this :guinness: and none of this :rotfl:

Yeah, I did the manly thing and waited two months before going to the doctor. Two months of not doing much since I could not breath right. Twenty minutes of my doctor putting my ribs back in place and instantly I could breath again. Besides a bottle full of pain meds for the next crash that really hurts!

WOW........ I did not know that broken ribs was a pretty normal thing amongst you weekend warriors.

I had a big off down a big slab/hill landed at the bottom face down, thought that was scary as I lay face down in the dirt and as I slowly arose from the dirt WHAM............. the handle bar slammed into my back slamming me into the dirt once again. Could not breath, went to the urgent care and the result was two broken ribs and one ruptured shoulder. Now I am wondering will I be able to ride again if and when this heals.

Hearing your war stories makes me think I not alone in having a bike attack the rider and being able to get back on the horse once healed. :icon_salut:

The big question now is do I sell the evil bike that try to kill me or have her put down?

Yip. Dont bother with a Dr, there is nothing he can do for bust ribs except give you pain killers. I cant remember but it does take ages until you can sit up, laugh, caugh, fart in peace.

Yeah, I and another trials rider broke ribs in between sections one Sunday. Neither of us went to the docs at first.... He died from internal bleeding the next day. Best get that stuff seen to just in case.

It took four months before I could ride again. As soon as you can get on a peddle bike to maintain your fitness.

I’ve broke a few doing motocross, its always worth going to the doctors, just to be on the safe side!

My doctor was a git, he kept poking the broken ones… :o

Twisted my ankle, the doc looks at my sons and says "ya wanna hear dad scream?" and starts poking my ankle...........*******

Broken ribs a few times...... Major crash on road bike. Major crash(s) DH mountain biking - god I've crashed sooo many times. Major crash on a slick slope on the Trials bike into a ditch.

Broken third finger during the SSDT - I taped it to another and finished :o)

I broke two ribs enduro riding when I got speared by a branch sticking out. Luckily i was wearing body armour otherwise I would still be hanging there.

I didn't go to the Doctors as I had done some research and knew they couldn't help. If most difficult getting in and out of the bath or bed. After 2 weeks it stopped clicking and 4 weeks or so felt better.

Good luck.

I broke two ribs enduro riding when I got speared by a branch sticking out. Luckily i was wearing body armour otherwise I would still be hanging there.

I didn't go to the Doctors as I had done some research and knew they couldn't help. If most difficult getting in and out of the bath or bed. After 2 weeks it stopped clicking and 4 weeks or so felt better.

Good luck.

The clicking is sooo bad, when you turn over in bed and it clicks, then you can't breath and you have to make it click back again. ouch!

I was told to make sure I take deep breaths to expand my lungs so I didn't get a chest infection or pneumonia. (spelling?)

TLTEL

Get it x rayed to make sure bones are in line. I broke some ribs (motocrossing)In June and they were still a bit sore when I started running again the following March.

A few years ago i chipped a bone in my elbow without realising it. by the time I eventually had it x rayed and saw the cosultant chip had reattached itself in wrong place. Consultant felt to operate could make things worse and it took over 3 years to get decent range of movement back in my elbow.

The clicking is sooo bad, when you turn over in bed and it clicks, then you can't breath and you have to make it click back again. ouch!

I was told to make sure I take deep breaths to expand my lungs so I didn't get a chest infection or pneumonia. (spelling?)

TLTEL

Funny you mention this.

I am guiding a honeymoon couple on safari who broke ribs on his wedding night ( wonder how) and he was told the same. Im not a doctor but from a mechanical point of view, surely if you take deap breaths while th bones are trying to heal wil prolong the recovery? Kinda like the doc saying run with a broken leg so it heals with the right action. Dont docs try to keep broken bits as still as possible, ie plaster casts on limbs???

Any docs with the real info we looking for?

pneumonia. (spelling?)

I have had pneumonia, one lung filling up with fluid/infection, bottom 1/3 full. :barf: It is not as much fun as it is advertised. :dummyspit:

I now understand how people died from it before antibiotics and how immune compromised people still die from it today.

(scared me a tad bit)

The clicking is weird. :o

I guess they are still floating hence the clicking?

I guess when they start knitting back they stop moving freely and the clicking goes away?

After they are all healed and you got back on the horse did you ride very gingerly avoiding all rocks etc scared that you would fall and land on them? Are they weaker after they heal or stronger?

Edited by billyt