What Does A Jotagas Really Weigh?

scrambler

If you weigh each wheel separately and add the weights together you don't need to bother balancing a plank across the scales. For accuracy I like to put a piece of wood under the wheel not being weighed so as to keep the bike level.

just put each wheel on then add the two together it's surprisingly accurate

I've got very cold numb fingers after washing and then weighing the bike. Have you any idea how inaccurate a cheap set of 1990s Argos analogue dial bathroom scales are ?. I would have thought they are absolutely rubbish and totally inaccurate.

So i put a plank over on the scales, zeroed them off and pushed the bike on. It has 3/4 of a tank of fuel and 4 450mm of oil. The weight came in at exactly

68 kg :) . Remember though.... I think that these scales are crap....... but perhaps they not. Perhaps they are accurate.

In my honest opinion the 2014 Jotagas feels about the same weight as a new GasGas . It does however feel quite a bit lighter than the Ossa , Sherco and Beta. This all means naff all in real terms.

In anticipation of a trial coming up some mates have said to me 'I bet Butser limeworks will be much easier on modern bikes'. I've been up there on the Jotagas and let me tell you , there seems to be bugger all difference between how high I got up the hills now compared to back in the early 90's. Ok I'm older , but I was really trying , flat out in 4th.

These light bikes might help in the dry and technical sections... but in the wet slippy conditions a light bike for me doesn't make a jots worth of difference. They're easier to handle but I'm not sure they get any further up the hills. Not with me on it anyway :)

• Like 2

Thanks for doing that gasgas249uk.

A Beta Rev 3 weighs about 74kg, and a Montesa 4rt is around 79kg. Both of these bikes are considered to be well built and durable machines. Can the Jotagas have those attributes as well as being super light? Is it right that Gas Gas and Sherco have a reputation for being a bit fragile?

OK , so just to know , I put my alu. loading ramp across my bathroom scale and gently rolled the bike on . 178lbs For my 83 fantic ...

I just had to know ! :)

And I have to add on edit , I've got a serious trick scale , my son is a wrestler and ounces can count !!!!

Edited by axulsuv
  • Like 1

67.5 kg at the start of a trial- 65kg at the end after all the bits have broken and fallen offf

Ha Ha you're so funny! This is a thread about Weight, not an oppourtunity for welsh slapstick.

(back on thread) When you look at all the makes they cant be that far different as they have so many similar/same parts.

Ha Ha you're so funny! This is a thread about Weight, not an oppourtunity for welsh slapstick.

(back on thread) When you look at all the makes they cant be that far different as they have so many similar/same parts.

True, but if you look at the frames of GasGas, Beta and Jotagas...