Why Aren't Toni Bou & Dougie Lampkin More Popular ?

atomant

Andy,on behalf of all the lovers of the English language & pedants, my sincere gratitude. Perhaps, when time allows, you might covertly sub-edit the infuriating could HAVE in place of could of and you are in place of your? Such grammatical errors may appear to be inconsequential, but I suspect, not so to you. Keep the faith.

Hi,

I agree with your sentiments - but have always found that when used in quoting a conversation the use of 'you're' in place of 'you are', reads more effectively - interestingly I found your use of the ampersand in your description of yourself a little unusual.........as ever, it could just be an age thing.

Incidentally another of the minor annoyances is the incorrect use of 'off' in sentences like: "Then I took the exhaust off of the bike........"

Youtube viewing is possibly not a true guide to popularity -, for me and some others I have spoken to its something they browse when there is nothing better to do, just a case of looking at things because you are a it curious and often one video leads to another which you would normally never have dreamt of looking at. At the risk of some sarcasm here is my list of recent viewing, about the last 4 days, oddly no trials at all.

Clarkson - raid on St Nazaire

Japanese precision walking competition - over 6m hits

Chinese pink womens army marching

North Korean marching

worlds top ten fighter aircraft

The duet from Mozarts marriage of figaro

Suo gan

El duguello

Green leaves of summer

All over the world

El paso - Marty robbins ballad

Streets of Laredo

Snipers - the movies for men documentary

contortionist - flexible woman

The ridge - but only as it was on TC I did not like it

A 9 year old opera singer on the dutch got talent.

ok, so this turned into a english lesson? this maybe what's wrong with trials popularity? i've been around the mx world for 35 years which should be obvious by my improper grammar. the new younger crowd speaks a language i don't even understand. maybe trials has to many high brow, proper language and hey i can count to ten without my fingers wine and cheese eaters, although i'm pretty sure cope prefers beer?

please read this as my attempt at a joke / sarcasm

rob

Tryals or Trials.

The spell checker on my Apple says “Tryals” is spelt wrong........

Bull.................. I vote for Tryals.

Maybe this would help us get noticed in Google searches and not get mixed in with “Clinical Trials”.

Type in Tryals and see what comes up.

To all you language snobs..... do this quick test and if you honestly know all the answers and get 10 out of 10, then fair play.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22512744 - if you don't... accept that you're not perfect ( like me ) and deal with it :)

Tests like that is why I quit school! I could not stand it! Drove me crazy! Same with History class! I had to leave and go to work in a real job. ADHD, I could give a crap to recall the exact year, god help me as they do not test that way!

There are certain rules I do recall, Ian and Andy are still 39 years of age, same as me, Donald has progressed a bit and is 40 now along with Hirdy!

ok, so this turned into a english lesson? this maybe what's wrong with trials popularity? i've been around the mx world for 35 years which should be obvious by my improper grammar. the new younger crowd speaks a language i don't even understand. maybe trials has to many high brow, proper language and hey i can count to ten without my fingers wine and cheese eaters, although i'm pretty sure cope prefers beer?

please read this as my attempt at a joke / sarcasm

rob

I think you jokenly made a good point there. My experience is that trials people in general, are a more gentle, not so rough crowd compared to MX people.

But is that a bad thing? Not in my book.

Concerning the spelling, because English is not my first language, I almost always use Google Translate to check my spelling.

I must confess I get mildly annoyed with blatant spelling errors, but what bothers me the most is when they don't use punctuations.

I don't like to read a long sentence twice or more, to understand what they're talking about.

Edited by guys

Back on topic .. I think the most obvious point is the way trials is marketed. As I mentioned earlier, the way the riders dress in lycra is just not manly is it? I think trials probably has a huge gay following due to Lycra ( Andy can tell you about that ;) )

The other thing is people regard Motorcycles as being dirty, noisy, non environmentally friendly things and they do not look at home in an environment like the Isle of Skye.. If Toni Bou did most of that video then there would be an outcry of damaging the beauty of the landscape.. However, in a metropolitan concrete type location they do look like they have a place. So a motorbike has an industrial image and a cycle a naturalistic image. how can that be changed?

Also, some friends I have spoken to think it's the machine that helps them to be able to do those tricks, yet on a cycle, they think its all the skill of the rider.. There is a misconception.

The thing is for me, it is in the interest of all of us if trials were more popular. More competitive machines ( If they sell more they can be more competitive) . More 3rd party parts available at good prices (as the market is bigger). More money in the sport will always help a bit... etc etc . what do you think?

I disagree with your lycra statement. Cyclists mountainbikers and skiers wear even more revealing outfits and they don't suffer from a non manly image, au contraire.

At least not to the point it's harmful for the popularity of their sport. Of course there are a few who think otherwise, like you apparently :rolleyes: (a psychologist might be able to help you with that ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwRJ5IoKTmg

Another thing I would like to mention is the downside of a more popular sport. Mountainbiking also suffers a bit from this effect.

More trial riders have a larger impact on the environment and on the general population. In other words, more people could get annoyed by those butch guys and girls on there poluting, shiny motorcycles that can get everywhere, because they can master almost every obstacle, nature can throw at them.