why are used bikes so expensive now?

shakeystarter

i think it was around 2 years ago since i sold my last bike and have  always missed a sunday meet since

recently ive been looking for a used bike to get back out riding and for some reason the bikes i was riding and selling on to upgrade ect are worth nearly twice they were 2 years ago 

i mean im seeing 15 year old shercos priced ar over £2000 i remember selling a 05 sherco 250 in 2010 for £1200  and i had a 2012 gasgas 280 and in 2016 sold it for £1900 so how come now id need to part with almost £3000 for the same bike ? 

that is just to name a couple of examples  

what have i missed? lol 

Seems odd to me too,old bikes that nobody wanted are now £1500 ,I assume they're selling.I could sell my TRS for more than I paid for it 18 months ago.Dont know where people are riding them,there were no meetings in November,a few in December and none now and for the foreseeable future 

• Like 1

The same is happening for push bikes and all other leisure items.  A road (motor) bike is worth at least 1500 if it is MOT and roadworthy.  OK you cannot ride now but what you can do is fix up.  It is better to have an old bike in the shed as something to do than sit though daytime TV.

People who are salaried and can keep their job have nothing much to spend it on, no holidays and no commuting costs and so on.  Although the unlucky ones are skint quite a lot of people are cash rich, unusually so as they normally spend.

The most cost effective way to buy a trials bike seems to me to buy a two-three year old machine.  If it is in good order the depreciation on new has taken place but it is still mechanically sound.  I have ridden the TRS over a year and all it needed was rear wheel bearings.  I have just ordered chain and sprockets to replace during this lockdown (did the missus' Beta last one).  I would happily spend time doing other small and easy jobs but nothing needs doing.  I would like a "project" but the prices have put me off for over 18 months and presumably will for ever.

My point would be there's not an entry level budget trials bike .I can buy a new kid on MX pit bike for £1k and have more fun than you can shake a stick at plus cheap spares when things go wrong. I don't think that would buy you a set of wheels for a Trials bike for that money . This for sure holds Trials back .

Same with vans also, I sold a 2008 Vivaro van 3 years ago for £2500 the same van with similar mileage are selling for around £3500 today! 

My mate bought a 2005 Renault traffic in shabby condition for £350 early last year, he just sold it for £1500. 

The world's gone mad...

2 hours ago, breagh said:

My point would be there's not an entry level budget trials bike .I can buy a new kid on MX pit bike for £1k and have more fun than you can shake a stick at plus cheap spares when things go wrong. I don't think that would buy you a set of wheels for a Trials bike for that money . This for sure holds Trials back .

Where to ride a pit bike?  I think we all know where the 500 quid off roaders get ridden.

Trials is very cheap compared to most other things.  Two grand is not that much to get started really.  Two grand is not much of a push bike to be fair.  I would love to see old nails selling for a few hundred and I agree this would make it easier to get into riding trials, but the people selling them presumably are into trials but don't share that view.

Yeah the second hand mountain bike world has gone crazy with people advertising 15year old knackers for a grand, the thing is alot aren't selling and just relisting. the second hand market is flooded with bikes brought in the first lockdown and because of the original price hike when you couldn't buy a bike people are trying there luck, can't blame em tbh. A year and half ago it was hard to sell a dh bike for any decent money because of the trend in enduro and trail bikes, prices have sky rocketed but thay are not selling. Not quite the same for trials though bikes are selling well, iv been looking to buy something for two months but gave up after some of the old sheds iv been to see, one bike iv seen do the rounds is at a dealer is a scruffy looking gasgas jtx 1998 advertised for 1995 bold tyres n all someone might fall for it  but Now the trials club is locked down iv gave up for abit. 

2 hours ago, Creepytheclutchmaster said:

.. iv been looking to buy something for two months but gave up after some of the old sheds iv been to see, one bike iv seen do the rounds is at a dealer is a scruffy looking gasgas jtx 1998 advertised for 1995 bold tyres n all someone might fall for it  but Now the trials club is locked down iv gave up for abit. 

Farley has a cheap Gasser.  No idea what they are doing lockdown wise but I am sure they could ship it.  http://www.gfmotorcycles.co.uk/used.html

280TXT 2006 £1795

Trouble is you can't go look at anything.  Shop has a good rep though, I bought my old Rev3 from them.  Slightly overpriced IMHO at the time but handy as I have a customer nearby and can justify taking the van there on work diesel.

5 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

Where to ride a pit bike?  I think we all know where the 500 quid off roaders get ridden.

Just come back from a two hour session on the Stomp ( I can ride there from the house). Thing is I've silenced it well and ride kind of Semi Trials stuff which is great fun. Just make the section miles long and keep it flowing. Great for fitness and concentration. I use it when setting out events too as it's got a proper seat, stand and it's dead easy to find neutral. Even bring it to the odd play but I get some real funny looks ,well more than usual. 

Sadly plenty idiots have them and sell them so they get a real bad rep.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, breagh said:

... Thing is I've silenced it well and ride kind of Semi Trials stuff which is great fun. ...

You are obviously a sensible, nice person.  Lots of MX or enduro bikes round here, often illegal or illegal pipes, ridden like loons at high speed past dog walkers and the like.  We are lucky to have a few decent green lanes but they are abused (and by the 4x4 noddies as well).  I have always taken the view that a nice quiet four stroke ridden sensibly and with a degree of politeness to other people bothers no one.  Plenty of dads letting their kids ride over the heath in the New Forest as well.  As you say - idiots.

• Like 1

Why are they so expensive? Supply and demand. Nothing else to do on a Sunday afternoon so I was looking around to see what is advertised. There is almost nothing if you want a Beta/Gasgas/Sherco/Scorpa/Montesa 250 around 2010-2016. There's plenty of Twinshocks and Pre-65s but most of those seem to be at unreasonably inflated prices. Then there are quite a few old monos, also looking quite expensive but I suppose that's because there just isn't anything newer around. A year or so ago I thought I had overpaid for my 2014 Beta, but it no longer looks like that.

On 1/10/2021 at 5:04 PM, trapezeartist said:

There's plenty of Twinshocks and Pre-65s but most of those seem to be at unreasonably inflated prices.

The old "cheap" pre65's and twin shocks have had new tyres, bars, leavers, cables, frames replaced or modified, new tank and seats, hubs re-lined, wheels respoked, new shocks and fork springs, stancions re-chromed, piston & re-bored, tyres etc  If you add these costs to an original price tag of £1500 (? ) your well on the way to 5/6k, ignoring labour. 

@trapezeartist ?

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 10:40 AM, b40rt said:

The old "cheap" pre65's and twin shocks have had new tyres, bars, leavers, cables, frames replaced or modified, new tank and seats, hubs re-lined, wheels respoked, new shocks and fork springs, stancions re-chromed, piston & re-bored, tyres etc  If you add these costs to an original price tag of £1500 (? ) your well on the way to 5/6k, ignoring labour. 

@trapezeartist ?

I agree with your analysis, but that is about the cost to the restorer. Prices reflect the value. Asking prices are the perceived value to the seller. Selling prices are somewhere around the market value, and are what was acceptable to both seller and buyer. I suppose what I called "inflated prices" reflect the fact that I don't agree with the perceived value of the seller. If someone buys at that price, I'm out of step with the market. If not, the seller is out of step.

Edited by trapezeartist
  • Thanks 1