Is trials central dormant?

teamferret

I've noticed a few less postings, but more worryingly the news and results sections seem to be way out of date. Also I post our clubs newest results, but it seems to be ages before they appear yet the ones from our trial in November are in the latest results column

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Aye it's a bit quiet and worrying . I know our club site died a death .We've recently revamped it and really it just gives the official club info. We have one of these fb sites which which i detest but that's the one everyone uses apart from me who has never seen it even though I'm Trials convener.

Even Trials riders span of attention is getting shorter.

• Like 1

I had noticed much the same Ferret, particularly the news section.  Still seems to be well used when seeking advice on fixing bike issues, etc.

I suppose I am as guilty as many for not doing much posting, although I recently posted about Bou breaking his leg - 1068 views which means the site is still being viewed even if no comments were added.

Trials Central has been a useful go to site for many years and I hope recent experience is just a minor hiccup.

• Like 2

Here’s the thing… this site is a free to join (and contribute) resource,  run by a bloke who does it for nix and ably assisted by a few like minded volunteers. It’s vibrancy is down to you the reader isn’t it? and perhaps I’m overreacting to a post like this that implies it’s up to somebody else to do something about it but what the f£#£# has happened to this world… 

I suspect its a combination of the state of everything mixed with the fact that its riding season in a lot of places so the people that are posting a lot normally are out riding more... at least that is my hope.  (shrug)

Well guys you may have noticed that we have a Global Pandemic affecting all our lives just now.   I am a member of several bike clubs, but as they hold their meetings in Public Houses, this has not been possible for the last 18 months.    No Beer = No Trials.  

Fortunately some events are coming back, especially the ones where social distancing is possible.  i.e. Solo ride-outs to certain landmarks etc.   ( got to do Joderal Bank next week.)

Three of my local clubs have just held their first meetings, but limited in numbers. So I didn't go, as I left my space for the Committee Members to have their say.   I hope you have all kept your ACU Licenses current, as events are happening to return.

Andy (site owner) and others do a brilliant job providing us with a very useful site and I hope my earlier post has not been taken as a criticism of any of them.  

If you re-read that post you will see that I admitted that I didn't post as much as perhaps I could (should) and there's no doubt in my mind that sites such as Trials Central rely upon contributions (ideally helpful ones!) made by visitors to keep things vibrant.  And if media releases are coming through to Andy (or whoever) from trials-orientated businesses or clubs then hopefully time can be found for them to be loaded on the site.

Of course we have all been affected over these last few months and some news (eg club activities) has understandably been thin on the ground, but, touch wood, things will continue to improve and we'll be able to return to a more normal way of life in the not too distant future and Trials Central will again be bursting with activity!

• Like 1

partly it the pandemic

partly it an onus on us (clubs / promotors / orgnaisers /etc) to provide news, previews, reports, results, etc (and i'm not good at that!)

partly the internet has moved on, as others have said a club facebook page is easy to do and update but only apears to those that "do" facebook. those that are don't (and only do websites) miss out while young un's (what under 30 ???) use diffrent social media (instagram, etc) that us old un's aren't in on

I don't think you can blame the pandemic on a lack of news reporting. When the world champion breaks his leg and it isn't reported here, i think the OP has a valid point. 

Whatever the reason, id say 80% of the time i come here for the forums anyway, but it is nice to read the odd recent news article as well.

Facebook is where its at unfortunately, easier access, but then its also easier to access some bloke wanting to advertise his second hand set of golf clubs on the groups FB page. There never seems to be a successful FB group page for trials that has functioned like a forum. Ive yet to find it anyway

Edited by faussy

Partly Covid etc. 

Partly the dreaded facebook , 

God knows why people think facebook is easier to access - its no easier to access than any website or forum 

I find the layout of facebook is crap, any useful info buried in people trying to sell rubbish

Anyway, this is a good site, long may it continue

• Like 6

Agreed.  Also here most banter happens on Whatsapp which is also horrible for group communication because everything gets burried ... I realise I'm on the old side too, but I haven't seen a social media replacement for messageboards like this, so I'll keep coming back!

• Like 4