Show Me Your Twin Shocker!

sir dabs alot

John, You will find it OK, it is only mind over matter anyway.

There is no way cable rears ever did work ref. my first Lobito Mod 19 or 20

whatever it was.

Have a good day

Larry

Edited by lbhbul

John, You will find it OK, it is only mind over matter anyway.

There is no way cable rears ever did work ref. my first Lobito Mod 19 or 20

whatever it was.

Have a good day

Larry

They do, as I've ridden two or three bikes with very effective rear cable brakes, one only yesterday.

I can't make mine work though...... even with relined hub, longer arm etc.

Whilst I have no first hand knowledge of the effectiveness of Bulto cable operated rear brakes, there is no good reason that a cable rear brake should not work satisfactorily. Many British sports twins of the 50/60s utilised them, such as BSA A7SS. I have a Cotton 37A with a cable rear brake, that has plenty of feel and passes MOT. Period cable front brakes work with reduced hand pressure. Perhaps, as previously suggested, it's some inherent design issue within the shoe mechanism, rather than the cable.

You need a very thick cable and a reinforced (and stiff) cable hose with a deflection tube were the hose is attached to the swingarm, most replica solution have far too little diameter for the cable and thus to the hose, when you then operate the foot brake much of your initiated force will be used to compress the hose instead to be used as breaking power.

• Like 2

In all fairness to the engineering of the Sherpa t Mod 199 (1978) & on rear slowing device.

Over here I believe it was not politically correct to import any without right hand brake.

The bikes came with the mounting stud & thru shift shaft, so hence whatever turns you on.

Have a nice day

Larry

• 10 months later...

My project KT250r, r for rebuilt, radical, ruined etc you choose

The bottom two pic's are of the first test fitting of the soon to be modified plastics, and the tank before final welding.

Not much to change on the Gasgas guard, what luck!!!

post-21653-0-76394000-1442202805_thumb.jpg

post-21653-0-01080500-1442202893_thumb.jpg

post-21653-0-10744600-1458240734_thumb.jpg

post-21653-0-18874500-1458240958_thumb.jpg

skeletor_13d.jpg

Edited by still trying
To show finished bike
  • Like 2

the chain system is my own evil concoction to get around putting the swing arm pivot on the rear engine mount.to move the center of gravity back, without changing the engine casing (cut and weld a block in). I did try to not change any of the original parts, so I can still rebuild an original KT if I wash. 

• 3 weeks later...

First thing that hit me was the rake. That's a serious angle for a Vintage bike. I love all of it though.

Beautiful work! Lots of thought. Bet the floor around your work area is wore out from just walking around it and staring. Can't wait to see some feedback on how it performs. Will it be done in time for any events this year?