What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?

shipdamite

post-16629-0-74724700-1371132553_thumb.jpgpost-16629-0-56592100-1371132607_thumb.jpgpost-16629-0-91582600-1371132644_thumb.jpgpost-16629-0-38237600-1371132699_thumb.jpgStripped the kick start mechanism today . Knew problem had started a couple of weeks ago . But as it goes after thirteen years ,it says something for gasgas quality and now it's out with the problem to prevent failure .

Check out the pawl , looks like a hole saw on the tips .

On the first pic you can see how the surface has gone on the kick start . This put the kick lever at an angle towards the back ,caused my foot to slip off and put a nice hole in the back of my knee as the compression stroke fired the lever back . That made me say ouch a bit . Then the odd time the lever would miss align and skip down a little . That's enough prompting for me . You would not believe how much crap that's put in the oil .

• Like 1

Yes Zippy . just caught it in time by the looks of things .

Yep sure did....................... but of course I would have waited until it was properly broken before repairing it (you know broken kickstart lever and shaft, cracked clutch cover, etc... That way I could spend more time and $$ on it to get it fixed. Wow I can be really stupid sometimes. :dunce:

How annoying's this then . No bits in post . Absolutely lashed it down throughout the day so couldn't build workshop . looks like Backcowm is off tomorrow and summer been and gone ( rationed to two weeks here in UK ) but on with trials school next weekend .

Found the cause of my dodgy idling and pinking to be a leaky base gasket! Picked one up from splat shop and started stripping my bike down ready to take the barrel off. Just hoping I can remember how it all goes back together!!

Got back together but still leaking air. Found it to be between the cases at the top between the Reed block and cylinder! Should I split the cases and do a proper job or a temporary bodge until I have more time? Was thinking a finger of sealant?

I had a gear box oil leak once on the bottom of the engine at the center gasket.

Used some brake cleaner to clean the area up really good and stuck a liberal amount of silicone sealant on it. Making sure to get the sealent into the crack as far as I could also.

Held up for a long time..........

So I sealed over where the air was leaking between the cases. Just gave her a warm up and it seems to be a lot better now! slightly disappointed in myself for bodging it but this is just a temporary fix, come winter I'll split the engine, treat her to some new main seals and bearing and anything else she needs whilst i'm in there and do the job properly.

So since last wednesday I have.. Stripped and cleaned carb, bodged my rear silencer (another short term fix until i get it welded), replaced the base gasket, replaced coolant, re-fitted the head spacer (i tried to remove it now i am used to kicking gassers but still couldnt kick her up with it out), replaced gear oil and replaced the broken brake pedal pivot bushing and bolt.

On my list to do this week; replace brake and clutch fluid all round :( and work out why my fan is constantly on!

Edited by darrenb