The Perfect Twinshock

benspeed888

the only perfect parts on a bultaco is the betor forks,i rode a 199a and a199b.lots of lowend power but not much rev,weird turning and both bikes were overly heavy

A 199b 340 Sherpa not much rev...?? You're joking

You should have been over here a few years ago to watch a bloke called Dave Hooke ride his 340 in the twinshock championship. Could that bike sing a high tune or what. Having witnessed it on many occassions it makes me wince to think about it even now, but it took all the abuse thrown at it and just kept going.

In fact, it is featured on one of the CJB round up videos from about '93 when he achieves a very rare clean on a hideously boggy section in the Cheltenham round - flat out in 4th for the entire section. Draws praise from a certain Mr Saunders who is co-commentating. Ah... those were the days.

Bultaco 5 World Championships      SWM 1 World Championship    Nuff said......

:):D:beer:

Nice - Like it

Edited by Woody

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If "twinshock" class had a date cutoff of 1981, I suspect that there would be few SWMs and Fantics competing. In a pre-81 class I suspect that Bultaco (and Montesa) would be quite popular.

We need to compare apples with apples.

Think you would be right if it was pre 1978 when SWM and Fantic started. Most of the SWM's that are around are 1980/81 models. Fantics had the 125 and 200 around in 1981.

Would still prefer any of these over a Bult/Mont/Ossa with the exception of a 340.

Cheers

Martin

the only perfect parts on a bultaco is the betor forks,i rode a 199a and a199b.lots of lowend power but not much rev,weird turning and both bikes were overly heavy

One of the best bikes of the era for turning, much better than the 349 for example. The gearboxes were the best and the 340's had a great 4th gear ratio for mud sections. They were not perfect of course but like legs said they won the world champs when the competition was there

Micks 1980 majesty, was he the oldest bloke to win a world round?

i remember the day well! all the young superstars got murdered by an old guy on a majesty - it was awesome to watch,we followed mick all day,he was his usual

magical self.as i remember he won the trial on about 100 lost.another memory of that day was schreiber passing us on the road bolt upright with one leg in the air.is it me or were trials more fun then - anon

give the guy a medal. The 240 Fantic is certainly one of the best; Now if I finish putting the 303 engine into it, 303 exhaust front, top engine mount.....300 front brake (Discs and hyrd clutchs are not intended for twinshocks and are illegal over here!)

301 swing arm, 300 seat, 303 gold rims (With tubes.....

Will post a picture if I ever finish it!

lee

I'm a bit of a traditionalist myself! Love the 240 engine and the lines of the whole bike! I have a nice set of Hebo pegs that were set back and down on mine! What a world of difference to the handling and overall feel. Feels so much like a modern bike with the riding stance now! Next up is a new carb!