Worst thing that happened to Trials?

Stomp

Aye there's plenty from Sammy Miller bringing in the Spanish, non stop/stop, duel/multi routes, dodgy suspension linkages, tubeless tyres no doubt everyone on the forum has a personal axe to grind so let's be honest we've all got a good moan right or wrong so after 45 years on the scene here's my top gripe.

WATER COOLING, worst thing that ever happened even as we speak I've a Scorpa p****** coolant in the garage doing my nut. Anyone who has not had bother with a water cooled trials bike has never owned one. Water pumps, thermostats. wiring , regulators, radiators, hoses, O ring head gaskets had bother with the lot. Do they run any better than my old air cooler? a very definite not, So feel free to tell me they're great  Over to you

Edited by Stomp

There has been many issues through the years and most is from too many rule changes to the point most people really do not know them.

The worst one was counting the all day dab a one, when previously it was a 5. So the stop with a foot down should have remained a 5, the powers to be should have just changed a failure to 10.

Then everyone could safely stop with feet down and still not failed the section.

11 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Not true. I have owned two water-cooled trials bikes and the cooling system gave me no bother at all. I bet many others can say the same too.

The only common trouble I have ever had owning many  water cooled bikes is the thermostat. Which is easy to bypass should it fail during a trial, if you carry something to bridge the connections.

Other than that I did have a bike where the fan ran backwards, this caused no issue until riding down then road at which point the bike boiled quickly and seized. 

Not sure what the main benefits are of  water cooled is over air cooled, other than I assume more consistent running temperatures and the water cooled bikes do seem more powerful than air cooled equivalents. 

44 minutes ago, Intotrials said:

Not sure what the main benefits are of  water cooled is over air cooled, other than I assume more consistent running temperatures and the water cooled bikes do seem more powerful than air cooled equivalents. 

With the smaller potential temperature range the engine can be made to tighter tolerances, so you can up the power output and/or expect everything to last longer.

• Like 2

My personal gripe is the rules around marking, which has promoted inconsistent scoring in the sections.

Not the observers fault, by any means. The rules are ambiguous and inconsistent, so it becomes confusing for observers on what is actually allowed, especially for those who are inexperienced.

I think a stop and stop with foot down is fine, this helps riders to just settle and regroup to continue the section and is no big deal in my eyes.  But reversing in my opinion, shouldn't be allowed, by this I mean purposeful reversing where a rider intentionally backs up. However, I appreciate that this can also create some ambiguity, especially when someone is stuck on a rock, tree root, log etc... and they are slightly rocking back and forth and the rear wheel is spinning to get the bike moving again. I guess though this for should be down to the observers' discretion especially if the rider is physically putting a lot of effort in to keep the bike moving.

I've said this in previous posts; The world and the top flight at major championships is a totally different level to the one most riders are accustomed to. The style of riding is foreign and unattainable to most people,  only for the select few very talented riders.

Maybe its now that the sport requires a split - Extreme/Elite Trials (both indoor and outdoor) and Trials - with 2 sets of rules designed to be compatible with the style of riding for each category. Maybe in the extreme trials a rider can do pretty much as they please, reverse, cross path... within the section boundaries but are timed. In normal trials, stop is allowed however no reversing or re-crossing paths...  

On a good note, I think the timed sections in British championships is a step forward. Though after watching the last few rounds its obvious that either the sections require to kept at a certain length or the time extended slightly. The 1 minute is just a bit too tight, just a few seconds extra will make just the right difference.