A Proper Look At The Trs Chassis

gasgas249uk

I think the difference is the Rev3 shock characteristics are tuned to provide the effect of rising rate internal to the shock body. This made for a much more expensive shock and Beta could save money going back to the linkage suspension. This isn't a slight on Beta. They simply saw no more advantage to the side shock since every other manufacturer was using linkage. That JotaGas and now TRS are showing a side shock is actually rather surprising. I wonder who's making their shocks?

tuned to give, and give is not the same.

I spoke with the european ohlins shock technician who has done shocks in mx road racing and tested with Raga and he said its impossible to valve to give anything like rising rate, parabolic curve etc.

The Ohlins technician is both right and wrong.

He is right in that a conventional Ohlins type shock cannot be valved to give rising rate. It does inherently have a very slight rising rate but nothing significant.

A shock can be designed so the damping oil flow does give a rising rate on the compression stroke, but it cannot replicate the rebound characteristics of a linkage system and there are heat dissipation problems.

• Like 1

I had a new Rev3 after Shercos/Gassers and to be honest, I didn't think that on uphill stuff in particular, the back wheel followed the ground as well as on a linkage bike, it was like the shock just didn't react as fast no matter what I set the spring or adjustment at.

The fact that Beta went back to a linkage on the Evo speaks volumes in my opinion, even after 8 years of development the Rev3 couldn't match a linkage set-up

• Like 1

I wonder which will arrive first the supposedly (and apparently) imminent demise of gasgas or the release of this bike , they are dragging it out abit now I feel.anyone have any news ?

A linkless system does give a rising rate based on the shock angle, rear wheel travel and spring stiffness. The rising rate is near linear.

The linkage system gives a rising rate which increases at a greater than linear rate as the spring compresses. Different sections of suspension can have different rising rates, This makes the suspension more effective over a wider range of travel.

Using compression oil damping to give a rising rate effect has the drawback of putting a lot of energy into the shock oil which would cause overheating which is difficult to compensate for.

Yes the last sentence i is a true fundamental of hydraulics, When oil flows from a high pressure to a low pressure without doing any work,heat is generated.

In this case the fluid has no tank to go back to either so the whole systems effectiveness is lost to heat, should that condition occur.

Edited by shyted

I wonder which will arrive first the supposedly (and apparently) imminent demise of gasgas or the release of this bike , they are dragging it out abit now I feel.anyone have any news ?

Maybe TRS will acquire the services of Adam Raga if things change where he is now?

• 2 months later...